Cork u20 Hurling 2024

This topic is very interesting tonight to say the least.

I am delighted with what I saw tonight.
Here is why and ye can take it whatever way ye like
1 as I pointed out , Healey is corks only puck out option when it was 15 aside clares forwards stopped the running from the back for cork and there were no handy off the shoulder points on offer.
In contrast the Cork forwards tackling was half hearted and we thrived.

2. The row instigated fuck all . We won the free which would have made it 12 to 5. Anyone with a fair mind knows it was the ludicrous red card that gave cork the spare runner that changed the game.

3 Jack leahy is a fine hurler but when the clare forwards forced the cork half back line to strike under pressure our junior b full back as described above beat him up a stick. When the ball was suddenly perfect leahy thrived. That has to be a concern.

4 after leahys goal o Farrell Rynne o Neill and Kilroy called puck out after puck out on themselves and caught a shit load of them . The cork defenders didn't engage them in the air at all.

5 if lads here can't identify that these cork 20s have a serious reality check coming regarding their defending from corner forward back then ye are deranged.

What's the odds Healey goes the same way as Sean Twomey.

He is, by some distance, the best forward on that team.

Very young clare side
Only 6 or 7 of the 24 overage
Keep chatting shit about us and young Buckley on Twitter👍

When this group was minor these was a fella Adam Walsn from Bride rovers . Remember he was a big lad . Didn’t look the part but had a serious hand and was strong . You need someone like him in the half forward line .

Kilkyoursons

You are spot on regarding last years physical edge, Micheal Mullins and Shane Kingston also brought a lot of it too in fairness. On this years team Lyons, Cashman, Dwyer, Cremin bring physicality and Buckley is underated in this area but it is really in this aspect of the game that Timmy Wilk would be a welcome addition. Someone on here mentioned Ben Nyhan, he's very tall but hasn't stood out in hurling terms for me and for last night's game his place was taken by Johnny Galvin who didn't make last years minor team. The management must be seeing Galvin progressing big time whereas Nyhan seems to be struggling for form.

Lads here very quick to run blindly with the narrative that the sending off was because of the manager and a dive.

God forbid anyone would consider that Keane got sent off for being an asshole, he was nowhere near Buckley initially but decided to deliberately target him for no reason, Buckley had his back to him when he walked from 5m or so away and got stuck in. Linesman saw all of that
When this group was minor these was a fella Adam Walsn from Bride rovers . Remember he was a big lad . Didn’t look the part but had a serious hand and was strong . You need someone like him in the half forward line .
Good shout - I'd forgotten about him. Mostly a sub on that minor team iirc, but someone like him would definitely be worth considering.

Apparently Cork management did everything to get him on board the past 2 years. Adam was sub in 2021 but would have started if fit enough, even a heavier build now and only focused on playing with his club is what I'm told.

Keep chatting shit about us and young Buckley on Twitter👍
Some Clare fans carrying on like a right bunch of bitter biddies.
Keane, for no good reason, went in there with intent to have some afters with Buckley.
Are people suggesting what he did was within the rules?

Last edited:
Lads here very quick to run blindly with the narrative that the sending off was because of the manager and a dive.

God forbid anyone would consider that Keane got sent off for being an asshole, he was nowhere near Buckley initially but decided to deliberately

Jesus wept :rolleyes:
Buckley hit him first, did you even watch the video posted and then he dropped like he was shot. A absolute embarrassment and shocking to see in a Cork jersey. What's this asshole rule that you can sent off for?

That's a pretty fair summary of Cork's struggles in the opening twenty-five minutes. Clare targeted Cork's playing out from the back and had a lot of success. The Cork forwards struggled to make the ball stick, either from puck-outs or general play, so Cork lacked an outball and had very few scoring opportunities in that period - Buckley was the only Cork forward to consistently pose a threat while it was fifteen-a-side. Leahy is a wonderful player when receiving good ball, but as seen in the two previous U20 campaigns he can struggle when the ball into him is messy. His radar was wonky early on too, but TBF he settled himself down later on.

I hope O'Connor and the team learn the hard lessons from that opening period. First, when playing out from the back Cork need to move the ball more quickly from player to player, which means not only avoiding the extra touch but having players making runs to take medium-length stick passes, further forward or on the far side of the pitch. Too often Cork players were looking to offload to support runners very close by, or trying to run through two or more Clare players, condensing the play in a way which suited Clare perfectly.

Second, the balance in the forwards was off. I would have preferred O'Leary inside, as he offers something different to Leahy or Ross O'Sullivan in terms of an aerial threat and directness in possession. Likewise I would have preferred Nyhan at least on the bench if not starting, again to give an option to go long which Cork lacked last night. Or start Adam O'Sullivan inside, where he could use his pace to stretch the defence with runs out from the box to the corners - it's not his usual position but Cork need to have a curveball or two to throw at teams who know pretty much what to expect from them.

I also think Cork lack a physical edge to their game which they had last year. This is hardly surprising, since most of the physically imposing players in last year's team (Downey, Cunningham, and O'Connor and Walsh in some matches) have moved on. They don't need to go looking for direct replacements, but they need to think about how the team as a whole can play more aggressively in specific areas of the pitch. Clare aren't a massive team but they out-worked and out-muscled Cork for significant periods last night. That's not just down to individual players working hard - they were organised in how and where they hunted down the Cork players in possession, and looked to close off the short passing options. Cork need to approach every game with a similar attitude and organisation.
Fair play to you for a fair a measured response to his post, The rest in the pitiful echo chamber should take note.

Is there anything to be said for starting the lad Nyhan from Clyda. He was a good ball winner and work horse at minor level.

Adding him in might give us some of the stuff lads feel we are lacking but the selectors might argue they'd be dropping a superior hurler for him?

I feel the balance of the forward line would be better with him and Healy in the HF line together but I also admit I haven't seen enough of the lad since minor.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
The Complete Stone Roses
The Oliver Plunkett, Oliver Plunkett St.

1st Aug 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

A Matter Of Time

Crawford Art Gallery, Today @ 10am

More events ▼