Cork u20 Hurling 2024

Timmy Wilk was corner-back in U-20 challenge games v Galway in Pairc Ui Chaoimh before the Waterford league game and also v Kilkenny in the Pairc.
Are you sure?

CORK: P O’Sullivan (Fr O’Neills); O McAdoo (Blackrock), K Lyons (Ballygarvan), D Cashman (Bride Rovers); J Dwyer (Ballincollig), O O’Regan (Erins Own), B Walsh (Killeagh); M Finn (Midleton), T O’Connell (Ballincollig); D Healy (Lisgoold), J Leahy (Dungourney), D Cremin (Midleton); R O’Sullivan (Na Piarsaigh), W Buckley (St Finbarr’s), E O’Leary (Glen Rovers).

Subs: J Galvin (Éire Óg) for O’Connell (h-t), J Casey (Youghal) for Leahy, B O’Flynn (Sarsfields) for O’Sullivan (both 40), J O’Brien (Fermoy) for Lyons (48), J Murray (Youghal) for Cremin, R Troy (Newtownshandrum) for Cashman (58), B Nyhan (Clyda Rovers) for Buckley, R O’Connell (Bride Rovers) for Finn (both 60).

TAN

I'm sure Timmy Wilk and James O'Brien of Fermoy played in at least one of those games when McAdoo and Cashman didn't play.

Just saw they played v KK on Feb. 10th, O'Brien was right corner-back and Wilk was left corner-back.

Last edited:
TAN

I'm sure Timmy Wilk and James O'Brien of Fermoy played in at least one of those games when McAdoo and Cashman didn't play.

Just saw they played v KK on Feb. 10th, O'Brien was right corner-back and Wilk was left corner-back.
That's a very strange one isn't it?
Are cork expecting to be going all in on short puck outs or something ?

I would have imagined him as the travelling inside forward covering every blade of grass kind of thing

That's a very strange one isn't it?
Are cork expecting to be going all in on short puck outs or something ?

I would have imagined him as the travelling inside forward covering every blade of grass kind of thing
I would think Timmy Wilk is a better player facing the ball. When Cork won the AI minor in '21 Wilk was wing-back. He played half-forward in '22 but it was mainly to cover for the loss of Michael O'Driscoll as he had played mid-field in challenges before championship. There's possibly up to 7 players who at a guess will remain in their positions from last years U-20 win with Darragh O'Sullivan moving to centre-back from corner-back making up the 8 who are still underage, so I'd expect Wilk to be in defence. At the start of the year I thought he'd be wing-back but his toughness and pace should see him as a good corner-back. At this stage I would have him at 4 and Oliver McAdoo at 2 but Denis Cashman will have a say too. Next year we should see Wilk push further up-field and Cashman in defence for sure.

First ball in Paddy Prendergast took him ball and all. That set the tone, poor Tony.
A powerhouse of Cork hurling Tim Crowley was also taken out by Frank Cummins in the same game which was a lesser challenge than the Prendergast one. Cummins went on to dominate mid-field and was instrumental in a couple of Christy Heffernans goals that day. Crowley was a complete physically developed player, so explain that one folks!

A powerhouse of Cork hurling Tim Crowley was also taken out by Frank Cummins in the same game which was a lesser challenge than the Prendergast one. Cummins went on to dominate mid-field and was instrumental in a couple of Christy Heffernans goals that day. Crowley was a complete physically developed player, so explain that one folks!
I am sorry C1 I am not sure what point you are making.

I am sorry C1 I am not sure what point you are making.
Taking out any player isn't a size related issue, it can happen to any player on any given day. Cork as a team were over confident in the '82 final as acknowledged afterwards by their captain JBM. The whole team were caught with their guard down.

Im old enough to remember Tony O Sullivan playing aged 19 in the 1982 final. He took such a battering that day that it took him almost 2 years to recover his form. There is no need for Buckley
It was before I was born but my Dad has told me many times about how Paddy Prendergast cleaned him out of it. Was speaking with a lad in the club a few years ago who’d now Tony well and he said that Tony was being warned in the week up to it that Prendergast would be a different kettle of fish.

Not so much playing players before they are ready but it illustrates the danger of overhyping young players.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
The Sweet East (NC)
Triskel Arts Centre, Tobin St.

30th Apr 2024 @ 6:00 pm
More info..

Brógeal

Crane Lane Theatre, Today @ 9pm

More events ▼