Cork u20 Hurling 2024

If Ben O’Connor chose hurling would you think he’d struggle physically? Obviously hard to know in a hypothetical situation
Are you comparing Ben o Connor with William Buckley ?
Ben O Connor is a power house of a man and if you think back to when they played minor in 2021 even then he was just too physical for other players of the same age group. He is now playing under 20 rugby for Ireland is well up to it physically.

If you are going to try to make that argument then go and pick another name that may make your argument sound some bit reasonable.

Are you comparing Ben o Connor with William Buckley ?
Ben O Connor is a power house of a man and if you think back to when they played minor in 2021 even then he was just too physical for other players of the same age group. He is now playing under 20 rugby for Ireland is well up to it physically.

If you are going to try to make that argument then go and pick another name that may make your argument sound some bit reasonable.
I’m not comparing at all just wondering other people’s viewpoints. Yes he’s playing international underage rugby now but that’s after a year under Ireland/Munster S&C programs. You’d wonder the level he’d be at in comparison if he was doing Cork intercounty S&C, my guess would be out with injury with a hamstring injury judging be other players.

Anyways as I said already a pointless argument. FWIW I don’t see why Buckley can’t do well at intercounty now, he’s an intelligent enough hurler to compensate for his lack of strength.

I’m not comparing at all just wondering other people’s viewpoints. Yes he’s playing international underage rugby now but that’s after a year under Ireland/Munster S&C programs. You’d wonder the level he’d be at in comparison if he was doing Cork intercounty S&C, my guess would be out with injury with a hamstring injury judging be other players.

Anyways as I said already a pointless argument. FWIW I don’t see why Buckley can’t do well at intercounty now, he’s an intelligent enough hurler to compensate for his lack of strength.
There is the world of difference between William Buckley and Ben O Connor.
If William Buckley had the same physicality as Ben O Connor he would be on the senior team this year instead of not being on the panel.
If BOC had chosen hurling in my opinion he would start in midfield this year.

This has nothing to do with the last twelve months, it was the same as far back as 2021 and beyond. They both came from the same club so they would have been trained and strengthened in similar ways.

I am not questioning his ability as a hurler but I am questioning if he has the physicality to play against senior inter county defenders.
William Buckley is not a big man and he never will be unless part of the s&c you refer to relates to being stretched on the rack.
It is simply a fact that in the modern senior inter county game that size and physicality are the norm. I think this is a pity but I believe it to be a fact.

Maybe the game will evolve again when this era of hurling has passed to allow less physical players have a greater involvement but that certainly is not the case at present.
I think it takes most under 20 players a couple of years to further develop physically to be able to play regularly at senior and this is true even for the bigger lads then you can see the challenge for smaller players.
Hopefully in a few years he will fill out ( as opposed to bulk up) he has all the attributes with the exception of physicality for senior
I reckon he’ll get there

North Cork and bluesball

The whole Cork team were battered by KK in the 1982 final, Cork were over confident and without a game on their way to the AI final after an overwhelming win v Waterford in the Munster final so highlighting Tony O'Sullivan only in that game to defend any players non-involvement is meaningless. Tim Crowley was MOM in the '78 final on Frank Cummins and he got physically done by Cummins in '82 and had to retire early, he was a huge loss not alone to the physical engine of the team. AFAIR Tony Sull suffered from an illness for quite a while in 1983 and in '84 he was Cork's best forward in the AI final receiving the RTE MOM award although most folk thought Johnny Crawley was MOM. Did it ever dawn on ye that the '82 final could have stood in good stead to Tony in '84? This is what development is about.

Barry Egan was only 19 when he scored 4 points v Limerick in the '92 Munster Final, I believe if he started or was introduced in that years AI final Cork would have defeated KK, although again the selectors got it wrong in too many positions that day. Pat Hartnett had to start along with either Manley or Egan while swapping Fitzgibbon and Hennessy was a disaster.

Adam Screeney wasn't the standout forward for Offaly last Sunday but Charlie Mitchell did stand out and Mitchell played for Offaly seniors last year and sometimes struggled. He also struggled and was replaced in the U-20 final when marked by Shane Kingston but is an improving player this year. Like Buckley, Kingston is also not on the Cork senior panel and he's gone from U-20. Screeney struggled on Mikey Butler in the AI club semi but Offaly management were not put off and still start him with Mitchell and Dan Ravenhill, Cathal King is also playing in mid-field and they have an U-20 corner back, neither of them are big men but they are receiving key development time. Screeney scored a cracking point from play on the sideline last Sunday. Mitchell is U-21 and both Screeny and Ravenhill are a year younger than William Buckley but Buckley can't get on the Cork panel, absolute jokeshop! Anyway who stated anything about starting Buckley in every game like the Offaly boys but the Cork management don't think he merits any game time on a mediocre senior team although there would be much older and physically developed players around him which is quite the opposite to Offaly.

The skills of the Cork team v Waterford were very poor, we all know that ground hurling is unfortunately a thing of the past but flicking a ball into space on the ground is still a skill of Limerick, KK and Tipp. Waterford were superior than Cork at it last Sunday. Certain players touch and accuracy remains poor in most games, at the levels he has played William Buckley is ahead in these key ingredients of the game but the management only think they need to wrap him in cotton wool for the next 3 years or so.🤣

North Cork what you're stating as fact isn't fact at all its just an opinion like mine and others. Like I said I believe Buckley is very likely to struggle full-forward and I don't really know why Cork U-20's played him there last Sunday. If you currently start Buckley on the senior team I believe he would suffocate with all the handpassing back and sideway. Imagine him in the first half v KK or even in the 1st half last Sunday I believe he would struggle but him coming on in the 2nd half instead of Kingston is an entirely different story. We all know what Kingston can do at senior level, why not use league games to see what William Buckley do firstly as an impact sub. Cork have to change and I don't see it based on what I've viewed already.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Award Winning Terry Alderton and Guests
City Limits, Coburg St.

4th May 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

Brógeal

Crane Lane Theatre, Today @ 9pm

More events ▼