Cork u20 Football 2024

JBS

It's more joyless to watch when you've seen what's gone before, if it was as joyless for players the likes of Hoggy, Harnedy and TJ would long be retired.

Jeez I’m not sure if I am really, I’m trying to point out that the landscape is totally different now to how it was. Go back then and west cork was all football, schools, clubs etc. Plenty of towns didn’t have secondary schools, there weren’t the community schools you have now and there was a lot less choice. Now you have lads from west cork playing soccer and rugby for Ireland, winning Olympic medals and everything. I don’t think you’ll ever have a situation again where schools in this county will be focussed on Gaelic Football to the near exclusion of anything else the way you’d find in counties where there is overwhelmingly one sporting code.

I’d focus on what we have in Cork and how are we going to make that work. From ccc1 on clubs have boys and girls for 2-3 hours a week for 8-9 months of the year same as clubs in Dublin, Mayo, Derry, Clare and everywhere else. Are we achieving all that can be achieved in that time? Are we getting appropriate competitive games for kids where they get the touches and coaching they need to improve? Are we all singing off the same hymn sheet? Derry are a great example of how you can get your house in order very quickly. Schools are strong for sure, but the clubs are outstanding and you have one totem figure in Phillip Kerr whose DNA is all over everything they do.

Don’t get me wrong I’m certainly not saying that schools aren’t part of the solution. Anywhere the games are played is part of the solution, be it clubs, schools, camps, greens in front of housing estates even. I just don’t think we can transplant what works very well in smaller counties with far fewer schools and that are overwhelmingly one sport focussed will work in Cork, and we might be better off learning from other counties.
Our skill level is a bit behind Kerry no doubt about that . I definitely think gdas need to be brought in to schools to get involved with teams in corn u mhuiri and harty

Its bad enough to lose to Kerry once in each age group...we have now lost to them 2 times at u20 this year, once at Minor and that might go to 2 as well...once at Senior and if they were to meet again you would not bet we would bt them...when is Cork football ever going to grow a pair....
Grow a pair of what?

Elephant in the room here is the current rules of gaelic football. When you have a situation that favours the less skilful, defensive team over the open attacking one you're going to end up exactly where we are at the minute. I'm praying that jarlath burns thru Jim gavins review committee establish this glaring fact and endeavour to remedy it. Until they do we're at nothing.

JBS

It's more joyless to watch when you've seen what's gone before, if it was as joyless for players the likes of Hoggy, Harnedy and TJ would long be retired.
I’ve no one in my family anymore but one of my best friends has. He played for Cork himself for 7/8 years. He talks about the dedication that’s involved now that it’s actually frightening and that they have no fun really., it he uses and put the word “joyless” in my head
I heard another incredible story about a young Cork senior player that was calling over to his buddies house in Melbourne Rd and was asked to pop into Dinos to collect an order. When he was inside 2 of the Cork management landed in to the chipper. The player was petrified for a week afraid he’d be cut from the panel over Dino Cregans chips 😂😂

No doubt this team under performed they are much better than they way the played the ocassion got to some players , this has happened to so many Cork football teams v Kerry down the years ..

If P Hayes is only an average footballer its a pity we dont have more of those like him out in Togher as we would be then challenging for club all irelands

Injured I think. A most under rated player I think.
Carey is the top defender I’ve seen at club football since the likes of Cahalane, Stevie O Brien & Slocum. We went to a couple of Clyda matches to watch him- a master craftsman at his art. I didn’t see much of Anthony Lynch at club level tbh but he’d pip Carey for me in the red of Cork
Anthony Lynch was top class but cost cork a goal in 1999 ball watching for the high ball coming into Gerathy and leaving Ollie Murphy free cost us an All Ireland.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Music Network Presents Linda Fredriksson Juniper
Triskel Arts Centre, Tobin St.

14th Jun 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

Silence (G) [Pat Collins Season]

Triskel Arts Centre, Today @ 4:30pm

More events ▼