Cork Senior Football 2023

Connolly has far more moments of magic, neither of them cut it on the frees for me. Sherlock missed a bad one v Dublin when Cork were doing okay early on with no elements while Sean O'Shea scored a harder free for Kerry into a gale.
I think to be fair Connolly is a better free taker. More accurate and has a better range off the deck at least. Sherlock has improved his freetaking also though you'd have to say.
From play though Sherlock would contribute a lot more overall but even though I think he's a liability you have to admit that Connolly can spark things that other players would not. His goal against the Haven in group stages or his goals in the delayed 2020 final prime examples of this. The problem with Connolly is his showboating and his continual playing of his own game to the detriment of his team at times. He just insists on looking for extravagant outside of the foot passes even when they aren't remotely on or necessary. It's hard to see Connolly changing his ways enough to have an effect at County level at this stage whereas Sherlock had some solid games last year with Cork and will definitely be involved going forward.

It's rarely you'd say it about such a brilliant club that consistently produces the goods but it's a slight indictment of Nemo that they haven't got Connolly to cop on a small bit in recent years or maybe they've tried and he just isn't coachable, I'm not sure where the truth lies. If he scores a couple of goals on the 30th and they beat the Barrs they won't be complaining I suppose!

I rate Connolly very high and if we can restrict him to 6 points or less we will win the final. On form he could win the game for Nemo
6 points from play!? You mustn’t rate Sam Ryan too highly if you think a good day out would be Luke Connolly getting 5 from play off him.

A discussion on the future Cork Football team and the whole thread has been hijacked by some Clonakilty obsessed Maniac and the second coming of Jesus or Luke Connolly.

Team for next year of the top of my head..
Martin
Ryan Shanley O Donovan
Powter Meehan McGuire
I McGuire O Hanlon
C O Callaghan C Corbett B Hayes
Sherlock Hurley O Mahony

intothewest

Excellent post! I like both players and think they have been victims to systems of coaching rather than coaches norturing both players talents. This is why when Connolly was on the team the management wouldn't go with Sherlock even on the panel, now it's the opposite. Sherlock is more of the team player and Connolly can produce more magic but they are both skilfull and talented and I for one would love to see them both involved with Cork. A friend of mine in Kerry and a keen enthusiast rates Connolly very highly and can't believe he's not playing inter-county.

bluesball

Your team is a good one! However I believe the management are more than likely going to play Conor Corbett in the inside line. It will be interesting to see though can Corbett play further outfield and can him and Killian O'Hanlon cut it at the highest level since their injuries. That half-back line is very good, its good to see Powter selected away from corner-back, I wouldn't rule him out on the 40 though.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
The Complete Stone Roses
The Oliver Plunkett, Oliver Plunkett St.

1st Aug 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

Route66

Cantys, Tomorrow @ 9pm

More events ▼