Cork Minor Hurling 2024

Imokilly win the Celtic Challenge SF by 3.16 to 2.15 in Ballinlough

Worthy winners , whilst West had a late scoring spree to narrow the gap

Credit to mentors on both sides. Minors trained before the game , and both managements managed game time for eligible players respectfully. A difficult task to balance while trying to win an All Ireland Semi Final

Imokilly play Dublin or Limerick in the Final

You're kind of part of the problem though you dont recognise it and certainly wont accept it.
This is 100% the fundamental issue regarding the approach in my view.

I read this and found it totally jarring that in 2024 a person who clearly isnt a moron would actually believe it.

When you continue on with the stuff about scoring in the club then its fascinating

The way modern hurling is played defending is 100% a collective enterprise. There are no players on the field that have a free pass once the opposition has the ball. It wouldnt even occur to me that a player chasing an opponent who plays a short handpass wouldnt instantly transfer to chasing that opponent. If that meant a forward ended up corner back then so be it.
Have you no memory of how the Clare cork senior match ended?

Mark rodgers, scorer of 1 06 is the last defender back when he gathers cahalanes shot in the small square.

He was marking Tommy O Connell in cusack park during the league when O Connell sowed a goal. he decided there and then that no one was going to get away from him like that again
Your reference to Rodgers in defence is when Cork are bombarding the Clare goalmouth.in the know that only goals will save them and it's coming from set piece after set piece. A half-forward taking up a defensive position to help his team in the knowledge that his team will win the game if they don't concede a goal is part and parcel of hurling and nothing to do with the modern game, back in the day we saw Jamesie O'Connor do this more so than Eamonn Taffe or Ger O'Loughlin. Thats a totally different senario to a corner-forward or full-forward in his own defence regularly throughout the game and worse still is when mentors are telling inside forwards at underage levels to go hunting in their own defence rather than focusing on what they should be doing as a forward.

Cork minor management are playing 2 rotating full-forwards as target men and when either play it's part of a 2 man full-forward line. Both of the full-forwards in question are similar and are not fast and only one of them is a renowned scorer but mainly as a free taker. It's common sense that for a 2 man full-forward line to work speed is a necessity so why can't the management see this after a lot of games? Why haven't they ever started a forward who has scored more than the 2 in question when coming on as a sub for Cork and scores a lot for his club at Premier 1 level rather than the two others of similar playing at a lower grade? There are others playing and scoring at the higher grade who haven't made the Cork minor squad. I don't see this as 'fascinating' but do see it as quite absurd.

I'm rather pleased I didn't see Alan Connolly or Brian Hayes chasing back to their own back line last Sunday. Hoggy did float far out field late on but not when the game was in the melting pot, I'm more concerned by 2 poor wides he had in the 1st half (1 from a free) as well as Seamie Harnedy's wides when the game was tight.

Last edited:
Your reference to Rodgers in defence is when Cork are bombarding the Clare goalmouth.in the know that only goals will save them and it's coming from set piece after set piece. A half-forward taking up a defensive position to help his team in the knowledge that his team will win the game if they don't concede a goal is part and parcel of hurling and nothing to do with the modern game, back in the day we saw Jamesie O'Connor do this more so than Eamonn Taffe or Ger O'Loughlin. Thats a totally different senario to a corner-forward or full-forward in his own defence regularly throughout the game and worse still is when mentors are telling inside forwards at underage levels to go hunting in their own defence rather than focusing on what they should be doing as a forward.

Cork minor management are playing 2 rotating full-forwards as target men and when either play it's part of a 2 man full-forward line. Both of the full-forwards in question are similar and are not fast and only one of them is a renowned scorer but mainly as a free taker. It's common sense that for a 2 man full-forward line to work speed is a necessity so why can't the management see this after a lot of games? Why haven't they ever started a forward who has scored more than the 2 in question when coming on as a sub for Cork and scores a lot for his club at Premier 1 level rather than the two others of similar playing at a lower grade? There are others playing and scoring at the higher grade who haven't made the Cork minor squad. I don't see this as 'fascinating' but do see it as quite absurd.

I'm rather pleased I didn't see Alan Connolly or Brian Hayes chasing back to their own back line last Sunday. Hoggy did float far out field late on but not when the game was in the melting pot, I'm more concerned by 2 poor wides he had in the 1st half (1 from a free) as well as Seamie Harnedy's wides when the game was tight.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2024-05-22-18-10-19-440_com.mi.globalbrowser.jpg
    Screenshot_2024-05-22-18-10-19-440_com.mi.globalbrowser.jpg
    363.7 KB · Views: 37
Big call to change goalkeeper at this stage of a competition but i suppose puck outs didn't go great last time out.

O'Riordan full back obviously still injured, big loss. His replacement I don't think has ever been on a match day panel yet? Not easy to go straight in.

So couple of gambles by management but hopefully things click

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
The Complete Stone Roses
The Oliver Plunkett, Oliver Plunkett St.

1st Aug 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

DJ Mossy (Crystal Bar)

Crane Lane Theatre, Today @ 11pm

More events ▼