Cork Minor Hurling 2024

You would really be better off not to be using names of players.

There are lots of reasons why a 16 or 17 year old might not be getting picked for a panel.

Naming kids in a slightly negative post makes it possible someone supportive of management might feel the need to start mentioning reasons why they shouldn't be.
I believe it's unfair to refer to them as kids and what you refer to as a negative post isn't negative towards those players but only in support of the players mentioned.

Clare defeated Cork by 5 and 7 points respectively in 2 games last year and won the AI comfortably. From the players perspective I thought Cork did well except for the late collapse v Galway in the AI semi considering they were given little chance of success, also the tragedy and distractions they went through in mid championship. David O'Leary and Barry Walsh stood out and are now both involved with Cork U-20's, Johnny Galvin has apparently progressed a lot from last year and is also making the U-20's bench. Cathal Hallihan a big rangy hurler who should have been at the edge of the square was a loss through injury. Christopher Dunne should never have been dropped off the squad but he took the onus on himself to improve by transferring schools and playing Harty Cup where he really stood out.

This years Cork minors were even given a far lesser chance of success. John Meyler went for size and it's debatable whether it's paying off, it certainly has not regarding certain positions like full-forward whereby not enough scoring or play making has come from 2 big players who now seem to be rotated by the management. IMO Cork played some good hurling last night but didn't score enough when they were on top. Puck outs again were a problem as well as poor defending for both Clare goals.

The Cork regional teams seem to be doing well in the Celtic Challenge and certain players are playing better than some guys who have inter-changed between Cork minors and their regional team. One player who is without doubt a better hurler than some of the guys on the Cork minor team is Kilshannig's Colin Ruby who plays for North Cork but AFAIK hasn't been involved with Cork this year. Kilworth's Denis Riordan is also standing out and has been involved this year but dropped off the panel. There's another couple of players that come to mind from the North region who should have been involved. If this is the case in the North alone then there should be more players good enough from the other regional squads.

When one considers a grave error by the 2022 minor management was not to include Stephen Lynam which hasn't been corrected at U-20 level this year then the omission of Christopher Dunne and Colin Ruby adds to the list and is detrimental to the progress of Cork Minor and U-20 teams.

Poor selection decisions have been crippling Cork at all levels for a long time. I believe a policy of promotion and demotion should be in place at underage by Cork County Board.

Regarding this year Cork minors are still in the AI qualifiers and John Meyler, Vincie Hurley, Seanie McGrath and Peter Sykes among others should be attending the Celtic Challenge games and leaving no stone unturned in changing and revitalising the current panel. This team and squad should only improve especially if the management show the right enthusiasm from now.
I totally agree with u on the point that there are players that are playing well in Celtic challenge that have never got a look in , Sean Byrne ( Ballyhea ) played very well with his school in Harty Cup and yet never even got a chance to prove his worth . Another player is Conor O Brien ( Buttevant ) a current member of the panel of 36 but he is another player who has not seen any game time , Meyler and his team are too stubborn with they’re selections that clearly aren’t working …. Country fellas put to the side as per usual . Colin Ruby also a very good hurler from what I have seen .

I believe it's unfair to refer to them as kids and what you refer to as a negative post isn't negative towards those players but only in support of the players mentioned.
it might seem like support but it really isn't. Unless you know for certain why a kid isnt on a panel you are better off leaving it alone.
Lads who have seen a game or two here and there or watched a young lad score 2 07 in a premier minor match isnt the full picture.
I am not defending Meyler. I think hes an arrogant asshole so i was more than pleased watching last night.

Last year on our Game podcast he said that it went without saying that limerick Tipp and Cork were coming out of Munster so that was fun. I am just making the point that its not easy to select a cork minor squad out of the numbers available

I'd disagree Tan. I thought it was a fair and informative post.

One thing you have to say is Corkonian knows his stuff.

By the way, I thought Clare were a very good and well coached side.
Wouldn't surprise me if they go the whole way.

TAN

You stated in the Senior Hurling forum that the larger numbers are an advantage to Cork, which by the way I don't believe to be the case. However now you're stating large numbers are a disadvantage to Cork minors. I don't even believe it to be an issue because it is not a case that players are from a rural club miles away from the hub but instead they are players who played U-14 and U-15 at county level and under John Meyler. Anyway Meyler is excellent to attend all matches especially underage so it isn't as if he don't know players or those who are required for this level. Your reference to his arrogance doesn't concern me too much as it should be offset by guys within the management such as Sean McGrath and Vincie Hurley at least. What concerns me is that not selecting the best players by successive managements in Cork has festered over the years and much that goes on is like beating a dead horse. The 2-7 guy is not in the picture but if he's performing in secondary inter-county squads and with his club highly on a consistent basis then he should come into the picture right away. Finally those who believe me to be negative or non-supportive for stating same are entitled to their opinions but I'll continue to be fortright on such issues.

Last edited:
I totally agree with u on the point that there are players that are playing well in Celtic challenge that have never got a look in , Sean Byrne ( Ballyhea ) played very well with his school in Harty Cup and yet never even got a chance to prove his worth . Another player is Conor O Brien ( Buttevant ) a current member of the panel of 36 but he is another player who has not seen any game time , Meyler and his team are too stubborn with they’re selections that clearly aren’t working …. Country fellas put to the side as per usual . Colin Ruby also a very good hurler from what I have seen .
I don't think they can be called too stubborn. They must have started at least 21 or 22 different lads at this stage and given game time to another handful.
Stubborn would be using the same 20/21 players in total.

Don't agree with the suggestion that JM is biased against rural players, there are some excellent players from City clubs who you could just as easily have mentioned (including from his own club, the Barrs). Not saying JM got it right, but with such a huge catchment area in Co Cork there are bound to be some excellent hurlers who miss out. It probably is easier to pick the correct 35 in Clare.

I do agree JM and co should still be watching Celtic Challenge though. I'm going to my first CC match tomorrow, City v Kilkenny in Ballinlough, looking forward to it.

Don't agree with the suggestion that JM is biased against rural players, there are some excellent players from City clubs who you could just as easily have mentioned (including from his own club, the Barrs). Not saying JM got it right, but with such a huge catchment area in Co Cork there are bound to be some excellent hurlers who miss out. It probably is easier to pick the correct 35 in Clare.

I do agree JM and co should still be watching Celtic Challenge though. I'm going to my first CC match tomorrow, City v Kilkenny in Ballinlough, looking forward to it.
There is nobody from the Barrs at the standard.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Tom Odell
Live At The Marquee

25th Jun 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

Karaoke Pride Party

Cyprus Avenue, Tomorrow @ 8pm

More events ▼