Cork Minor Hurling 2024

For what it’s worth, I remeber hearing a story about a fella who I won’t name for his own sake, being told he was dropped from the panel via text message. Dont know about ye but think that’s an awful way to be told that

For what it’s worth, I remeber hearing a story about a fella who I won’t name for his own sake, being told he was dropped from the panel via text message. Dont know about ye but think that’s an awful way to be told that
To be correct, the coaches have no contact directly with any underage player by text. So that’s story simply not true.
The parents are informed in the normal way all the way through from U14. Text previously and by WhatsApp nowadays.
Sometimes at younger ages you aren’t informed at all and just the panel selected is posted to the group on WhatsApp.
There was a time that you found out by reading the paper or you got a letter in the post saying you were selected to play, whichever arrived first.
It’s elite level sport, dog eat dog, not a Yoga class. That might sound insensitive but everyone knows it. It’s usually only those who get cut complain about the messaging, as it’s a nice distraction. They raise no complaint about the messages over the previous 4 years.

To be correct, the coaches have no contact directly with any underage player by text. So that’s story simply not true.
The parents are informed in the normal way all the way through from U14. Text previously and by WhatsApp nowadays.
Sometimes at younger ages you aren’t informed at all and just the panel selected is posted to the group on WhatsApp.
There was a time that you found out by reading the paper or you got a letter in the post saying you were selected to play, whichever arrived first.
It’s elite level sport, dog eat dog, not a Yoga class. That might sound insensitive but everyone knows it. It’s usually only those who get cut complain about the messaging, as it’s a nice distraction. They raise no complaint about the messages over the previous 4 years.
Ya it wasn’t player himself they texted it his parents. This wasn’t a first hand story so some of it may not be true. For younger ages they’re using an app called spond which is fair enough as there is so many of them but would have thought as the number involved decreased they’d be more inclined to tell you in person or even a call

I know dads of two players who were on extended panel, one still there. Certainly neither would think Meyler would win any awards for communication but neither would be too critical ultimately.

Certainly he settled on about 20 players very early but interestingly 3 of the maybe top 5 all along have been dropped for some of the recent games. View would be that perhaps having a less settled first team might have better for all throughout.

They did botch cuts apparently, cutting a good few players (by email but flagged in advance I think) around easter and then seeming to pretend they never did cut them ehen they needed them for all ireland u16 competitions! They then did a big cut in late summer last year which included those already seemingly cut and a good few others. All done by email. Some good players cut who are doing well now in Celtic Challenge - but to be fair that's inevitable.

He promoted a good few 2008s (this years minors are 2007) which Fraggy didn't really do the previous year, and that made the late summer cut wider than expected. Again though, perhaps learning from Fraggys mistake.

Parents are always going to be disappointed when their kid is cut. Sometimes they just aren't seeing reality. Other times there can be truth in their grievances. Kids progress at different rates and a cut can just happen at the wrong time for their kid. Kids can be played in the wrong position (and one of the dad's I know does say there was little rotation of position from day one - half backs were half backs etc). Even age comes into it, the January birthday v the November or December birthday. It all probably gets amplified by the fact minor is u17 now. When the coaches are dealing with a panel of 60 or even 45 it's hard for them to drill down into such specific issues for each kid. They've got to put the group first.

Anyway, both dads wouldn't grumble much with the top 25 or so he picks (the odd one they disagree with but that's always the way). Nor do they think any cuts etc weren't made bona fide. Sometimes a coach rates you and sometimes he doesn't.

I myself saw them v Limerick and it's a decent team. Fingers crossed they can go all the way. Galway and Tipp now seen as the big competition.

I know dads of two players who were on extended panel, one still there. Certainly neither would think Meyler would win any awards for communication but neither would be too critical ultimately.

Certainly he settled on about 20 players very early but interestingly 3 of the maybe top 5 all along have been dropped for some of the recent games. View would be that perhaps having a less settled first team might have better for all throughout.

They did botch cuts apparently, cutting a good few players (by email but flagged in advance I think) around easter and then seeming to pretend they never did cut them ehen they needed them for all ireland u16 competitions! They then did a big cut in late summer last year which included those already seemingly cut and a good few others. All done by email. Some good players cut who are doing well now in Celtic Challenge - but to be fair that's inevitable.

He promoted a good few 2008s (this years minors are 2007) which Fraggy didn't really do the previous year, and that made the late summer cut wider than expected. Again though, perhaps learning from Fraggys mistake.

Parents are always going to be disappointed when their kid is cut. Sometimes they just aren't seeing reality. Other times there can be truth in their grievances. Kids progress at different rates and a cut can just happen at the wrong time for their kid. Kids can be played in the wrong position (and one of the dad's I know does say there was little rotation of position from day one - half backs were half backs etc). Even age comes into it, the January birthday v the November or December birthday. It all probably gets amplified by the fact minor is u17 now. When the coaches are dealing with a panel of 60 or even 45 it's hard for them to drill down into such specific issues for each kid. They've got to put the group first.

Anyway, both dads wouldn't grumble much with the top 25 or so he picks (the odd one they disagree with but that's always the way). Nor do they think any cuts etc weren't made bona fide. Sometimes a coach rates you and sometimes he doesn't.

I myself saw them v Limerick and it's a decent team. Fingers crossed they can go all the way. Galway and Tipp now seen as the big competition.
I'm v surprised to hear that Galway are seen as the big competition after last weekend's thrashing by KK. Granted it wasn't an all-or-nothing match, and I'm sure Galway can improve a lot, but surely KK now have to be among the favourites?

Back to tonight's game - a win would guarantee a place in the AI qualifiers at least. I'd be wary of Waterford though - they've lost twice but from the sounds of things they caused Tipp a lot of problems in the second half of their last match. If Waterford win then things could get v hairy - Cork might need to beat Clare to make sure they progress.

I'm v surprised to hear that Galway are seen as the big competition after last weekend's thrashing by KK. Granted it wasn't an all-or-nothing match, and I'm sure Galway can improve a lot, but surely KK now have to be among the favourites?

Back to tonight's game - a win would guarantee a place in the AI qualifiers at least. I'd be wary of Waterford though - they've lost twice but from the sounds of things they caused Tipp a lot of problems in the second half of their last match. If Waterford win then things could get v hairy - Cork might need to beat Clare to make sure they progress.
Didn't know KK thrashed Galway! Shows what I know...

Great points there. And I think the fact players develop at different stages is why it's a good reason Cork enter 4 regional sides in the Celtic Challenge and keep as many going as possible. Guaranteed there will be a few who are not on this year's minor panel who will be on u20 panel in couple of years if they stay positive and stick with it.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
SAL
The Richmond Revival, College Road, Fermoy, Co. Cork, P61 T292

28th Sep 2024 @ 7:00 pm
More info..

Jan McCullough: Night Class

Crawford Art Gallery, Today @ 10am

More events ▼