Cork Minor Hurling 2024

Goat1

I've stated my piece on Meyler here before and many disagree but his appointment typifies where Cork hurling is at for some years but based on your post the underage Cork squads will lose a lot of players in future years.

However regarding Jack O'Brien he played well when introduced as a sub v Tipp and should be back involved after his illness and it's good that he's back healthy enough to be involved and to give his all.

The three lads have been dropped,not based on form,but on "political"factors.Jack O'Brien has been out sick since before the Limerick game and waltzes back into the starting team.
Only the 24 selected will travel to Dungarvan tomorrow evening.The other 12/13 players are basically forgotten about.Six of these players were forced to sit out the training last night and were excluded from any input to training.This is the way the Meyler system works.No communication with these 16/17 year olds,just ignore them . Remember,the majority of these 35/36 players and families have committed almost two years of their life to represent our county.They have trained 3 night pet week during this time.Their thanks for this commitment is to be banished from the match day routine.The 12/13 players have to make their own way to Dungarvan tomorrow evening eventhough a bus with a capacity of 55 is bringing the match day squad.This is not good for confidence or mental health if those squad players.
This is the way it happens in most counties. It's harsh but I understand it completely. If you have 12 lads not togging out but brought along they could probably distract the rest of the lads. It wouldn't be intentional but they know they aren't playing so could probably be laughing and messing and generally not focused. And that could feed into the rest of lads.

Also I think it's a bit unfair to say jack O'Brien waltzes back into side. He was very impressive when introduced in Round 1 and I'd be sure he'd have started last round if available.

I do agree that there should be some kind of communication to players not involved as regards things they can do to try push for a place on match day squad.
But also it's an age where they need to grow up a bit and get on with it too, the juvenile days are over

Hi Jude's dad 👋

Are Aghada not a football club?
I’m not even from east cork never mind aghada I’m from the west cork ya mope with relations in midleton thats why I was at the game
The three lads have been dropped,not based on form,but on "political"factors.Jack O'Brien has been out sick since before the Limerick game and waltzes back into the starting team.
Only the 24 selected will travel to Dungarvan tomorrow evening.The other 12/13 players are basically forgotten about.Six of these players were forced to sit out the training last night and were excluded from any input to training.This is the way the Meyler system works.No communication with these 16/17 year olds,just ignore them . Remember,the majority of these 35/36 players and families have committed almost two years of their life to represent our county.They have trained 3 night pet week during this time.Their thanks for this commitment is to be banished from the match day routine.The 12/13 players have to make their own way to Dungarvan tomorrow evening eventhough a bus with a capacity of 55 is bringing the match day squad.This is not good for confidence or mental health if those squad players.
well said

This is the way it happens in most counties. It's harsh but I understand it completely. If you have 12 lads not togging out but brought along they could probably distract the rest of the lads. It wouldn't be intentional but they know they aren't playing so could probably be laughing and messing and generally not focused. And that could feed into the rest of lads.

Also I think it's a bit unfair to say jack O'Brien waltzes back into side. He was very impressive when introduced in Round 1 and I'd be sure he'd have started last round if available.

I do agree that there should be some kind of communication to players not involved as regards things they can do to try push for a place on match day squad.
But also it's an age where they need to grow up a bit and get on with it too, the juvenile days are over
Tipperary had all 36 players on the pitch and in the team photo when they played Cork.The extended panel players sat behind the dug out and were treated as part of the group.I do agree that they need to grow up a bit but it is still a harsh way of dealing with 16/17 year olds m

Let's just say there is definitely a feeling among squad players that some are treating more equally than others.
I guess that’s the way in every team or group or workplace, friends, family etc
I’m not defending anyone but picking teams can be tough and sometimes a player gets the nod or not for maybe something that isn’t very tangible to players.. he is a leader, lifts the wider team, fixes a particular weakness, has better attitude overall, is better under pressure in a tight game, might be better suited to playing a particular opposition or direct opponent, might fit in better to our style and so on and so on.
But politics and the GAA do go hand in hand, no doubt about that too. Some desperate blaggarding of players over the years, but more so in the past I would think.

My own opinion is usually it's close enough to the best team picked for most championship games.
Most managers are there for success and in some ways to boost their own reputation. To do that they need to win championships so they're almost always going to put the best team in the field, I don't think politics gets in the way anymore for most guys, if a lad isn't going to help them win he won't be getting the nod regardless of club, who he's related to, etc.
Usually the politics thing is thrown around by those who can't take not making it instead of accepting that mayb it's the correct call.

Also I would accept that Meyler would certainly be old school and probably very unlike what the modern generation are used to dealing with. I think if the majority have been involved with him for last couple years they were well aware of what they were getting before this campaign ever started.
Some younger coaches are then almost too far the other way. There's probably a middle ground some place between babying lads and being harsh that would be ideal.

If they get another win tomorrow evening the management won't feel the need to justify anything to anyone, not that I think Meyler would anyway regardless of the result.

Last edited:
My own opinion is usually it's close enough to the best team picked for most championship games.
Most managers are there for success and in some ways to boost their own reputation. To do that they need to win championships so they're almost always going to put the best team in the field, I don't think politics gets in the way anymore for most guys, if a lad isn't going to help them win he won't be getting the nod regardless of club, who he's related to, etc.
Usually the politics thing is thrown around by those who can't take not making it instead of accepting that mayb it's the correct call.
Well said, I usually find those that complain have family or connections on the wrong side of selection decisions

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Peppa Pig's Fun Day Out
Cork Opera House, Emmet Place, Cork

8th May 2024 @ 10:00 am
More info..

Sunday & Bank Holiday Tours

Crawford Art Gallery, Tomorrow @ 2pm

More events ▼