Cork Minor Hurling 2024

The GAA hierarchy put the spotlight on them by reducing the age to play minor.

I have to agree with Goat1 there is a huge effort required by the players and their parents, inter-county minors are a credit to their families and clubs but no longer get the support of their clubs.
Inter county minors don’t play with their clubs sure. They disappear into the abyss.
It’s no longer the case that you can go to club games and watch potential inter county minors lead their teams battle it out against each other.
They are too busy spending the weekend in the gym and on the plastic pitch down the Pairc.

It’s a game of opinions and we can disagree. I stand over my comments on genetics and physicality being the key parameters at such a very young age. The dogs on the street are talking about it sure.
It does take a big effort, a daft effort in logistics for many families in a county the size of Cork. Many of the best of the players get burnt out.
Rebel Og is a terrible player development model that over the last decade has proven to not serve Cork hurling well.
The days of the Cork minor team being a good indicator of what’s coming through to the seniors in a few years time are long long gone I’m afraid.

Inter county minors don’t play with their clubs sure. They disappear into the abyss.
It’s no longer the case that you can go to club games and watch potential inter county minors lead their teams battle it out against each other.
They are too busy spending the weekend in the gym and on the plastic pitch down the Pairc.

It’s a game of opinions and we can disagree. I stand over my comments on genetics and physicality being the key parameters at such a very young age. The dogs on the street are talking about it sure.
It does take a big effort, a daft effort in logistics for many families in a county the size of Cork. Many of the best of the players get burnt out.
Rebel Og is a terrible player development model that over the last decade has proven to not serve Cork hurling well.
The days of the Cork minor team being a good indicator of what’s coming through to the seniors in a few years time are long long gone I’m afraid.
Why do you say Rebel Og is a terrible player development model? What criteria are you judging it on - underage intercounty trophies, developing players for the senior intercounty team, developing players for senior club teams, or what? I'm not defending Rebel Og, but I am curious to know why you are so critical of it.

As for the Cork minor team no longer being a good indicator of future senior players, I'm open to correction here but I would have said the majority of players in the current senior panel would have played minor for Cork. Also, if minor teams are less reliable indicators of who is coming through, is that something specific to Cork or does it reflect broader changes, e.g., minor going to U17 and there being fewer players under 22 or 23 breaking through at senior intercounty across the board?

Banofie

I agree with you on the genetics and physicality and also the Rebel Og model but this is the fault of the GAA and not our young players. As I stated it is also the GAA hierarchy who have troubled such young players with the spotlight and they don't get help from their clubs and I don't see why the plaudits should go more to older players. The GAA loaded far more pressure on those players when lowering the minor age, sixteen and seventeen year old's rely much more on their parents than those 20 plus.

Inter-county underage players play more with their clubs and schools more than the ones you maintain deserve plaudits. I have seen a lot of the players lining out tomorrow night playing for their clubs and there isn't anybody involved from my local club.

Best of luck to the lads tonight, looking foward in particular to seeing young Deane for the first time, he comes with a big reputation

Big John has a few posters here rattled to the core, not that it would bother him one iota, but their silence since the team announcement has been a godsend 🤣

Come on the Rebels

Best of luck to the lads tonight, looking foward in particular to seeing young Deane for the first time, he comes with a big reputation

Big John has a few posters here rattled to the core, not that it would bother him one iota, but their silence since the team announcement has been a godsend 🤣

Come on the Rebels
Game’s tommorow r&b.

Why do you say Rebel Og is a terrible player development model? What criteria are you judging it on - underage intercounty trophies, developing players for the senior intercounty team, developing players for senior club teams, or what? I'm not defending Rebel Og, but I am curious to know why you are so critical of it.
This has all been discussed to the death on the proc forums
The simple fact is that the Cork hurling is experiencing is worst streak in its entire history. The neglect of the schools and focus on the flawed Rebel Og model is considered by everyone I know to be the main cause of that. I believe the Cork GAA top brass acknowledge this themselves and the plan is that greater emphasis is going to be placed on supporting the schools in Harty & Corn Ui Mhuiri.
Cork have proved that there is little correlation between having a successful minor team and it leading to success at senior level later- this success was almost a guarantee in years gone by.
Cork top brass also acknowledge that the change to U17 minor level was another massive mistake and Cork brass are driving the attempts at national level to get inter county minor back to U18.

Anyone involved in the Cork minor squads in both codes is not currently playing with their club.
Thats just outrageous nonsense
I agree but are you aware that Adam O'Sullivan wasn't allowed play with his school in the Simcox Cup final because he is a Cork U-20 hurling panelist? Same with the inter-county seniors regarding the club league. This is going on in Cork for years now so there's no reason why the older players should get the greater plaudits. Under Fraggie Murphy and Ray O'Mahony last year the minors had greater leeway and could play both codes but this years minor set-up decided to go back to the Cubby/Ring way.

How did Cork prove what you state when the county only won 1 AI minor title in 20 years? I believe winning AI minor titles would breed success to U-20 and senior but it's not factual and either is your argument.

Last edited:
This has all been discussed to the death on the proc forums
The simple fact is that the Cork hurling is experiencing is worst streak in its entire history. The neglect of the schools and focus on the flawed Rebel Og model is considered by everyone I know to be the main cause of that. I believe the Cork GAA top brass acknowledge this themselves and the plan is that greater emphasis is going to be placed on supporting the schools in Harty & Corn Ui Mhuiri.
Cork have proved that there is little correlation between having a successful minor team and it leading to success at senior level later- this success was almost a guarantee in years gone by.
Cork top brass also acknowledge that the change to U17 minor level was another massive mistake and Cork brass are driving the attempts at national level to get inter county minor back to U18.
Thanks for your reply.

First up, you didn't answer my question as to what are your criteria for the success or failure of Rebel Og.
You mention that Cork hurling is enduring its worst streak in history. That is certainly true at senior intercounty and senior club level. At underage level, Cork have been very successful recently. Also, Rebel Og was introduced in 2011, meaning that it's only in the last few years (since 2017, basically) that players who have come up through that system have been playing senior intercounty. In other words, most of that unsuccessful run at senior intercounty cannot be blamed on Rebel Og.

Imo one good criterion of success for an underage development system is whether it is producing good numbers of players able to contribute at senior intercounty. Right now I think Cork have more players at this level than for a couple of decades. Of course that's not solely down to Rebel Og, but it suggests to me that the system isn't a complete failure. Compare this with underage teams from a decade or so ago, who often produced only one or two players who got any serious time at senior.

You rightly point out that schools have been neglected under Rebel Og. I think that's a fair point, but that doesn't mean that Rebel Og must be scrapped in order to give schools the necessary support. I think what is required is a better balance between the two, i.e., a reform of the current system rather than tearing it up and starting again.

In the last decade or so there has been little enough correlation between successful minor teams and senior success, so this is hardly a problem unique to Cork. (Compare how Limerick's current team fared at minor with the senior results of the Waterford, KK and Galway sides that won minor All-Irelands in those years.)

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
The Lee Sessions Trad Trail
An Spailpín Fánach, 28 South Main St., Cork

11th Aug 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

DJ Mystic Gold

The Old Town Whiskey Bar at Bodega, Today @ 9pm

More events ▼