Cork Hurlers

Status
Not open for further replies.
McCarthy was on for about 10 minutes the last day and in that time he won two catches, a free and set up a score. By any standards that's quite productive, by the standards of the Cork half forward line that day he was a hive of industry.

I had a good old chuckle to myself about Enda McEvoys comments in the next days paper praising JBM for being man enough to admit his mistake in bringing on McCarthy by subbing him off. Everyone else in the ground knew he was hurt.

I thought McEvoys piece in the match programme was a bit ungracious, going on about the day Cork beat Kilkenny being 'a poignant one for lovers of hurling' or some such shite and saying it wasn't the finals the neutrals wanted. The fuck he'd know about being neutral when Cork are involved like.

I agree about what was said in The Echo they just make it up as they go along. I don't know about Cian Mac I just think he's not up to Inter County standard

Difficult to judge on what became a cameo appearance but did ok for the short while he was on the field. However, I feel the pace of an AI final may be a bit much for him. Tends to be slow to the breaking ball and not the sharpest striker of the ball.

However, perhaps his decent showing will give him confidence boost and not as if JBM has a whole host of options if one or two of the forwards that didn't cut it two weeks ago are not showing well at training.
Naughton is not going to get into a battle in the half forward line and don't think JBM and his team see Cussen, O' Sullivan as viable options.

Cian Mac did more in 8mins than Pa Cronin did in about 50mins at half forward/mid field. Id rather lose a final with a lad with less skill but who is prepared to put himself about than someone who went in half heartedly and sulked around for the majority of the 2nd half.

Brennan hit the nail on the head - your going to bé fouled - Cronin is a big man - for gods sake like - start pulling on the ball and hammering into your man.

Cian Mac did more in 8mins than Pa Cronin did in about 50mins at half forward/mid field. Id rather lose a final with a lad with less skill but who is prepared to put himself about than someone who went in half heartedly and sulked around for the majority of the 2nd half.

Brennan hit the nail on the head - your going to bé fouled - Cronin is a big man - for gods sake like - start pulling on the ball and hammering into your man.

And yet Cronin gave us a class goal that saved our bacon. When has Cian Mac ever scored a goal at inter-county level?

And yet Cronin gave us a class goal that saved our bacon. When has Cian Mac ever scored a goal at inter-county level?

It was a brilliant goal - and thats what makes him even more frustrating - when you have the skill to do that you should bé bossing your opponent for 70mins plus -

It was a brilliant goal - and thats what makes him even more frustrating - when you have the skill to do that you should bé bossing your opponent for 70mins plus -

Perhaps he'll be MOTM this time out. As Darragh O Sé pointed out in article following original game, it's often the non-performers the first day that seize the second opportunity that a replay offers.
On that basis, there'll be a few Cork lads chomping at the bit to set the record straight this Saturday.
Don't think we'll be as nervous either - I expect Cork to come out all guns blazing on Saturday.

Perhaps he'll be MOTM this time out. As Darragh O Sé pointed out in article following original game, it's often the non-performers the first day that seize the second opportunity that a replay offers.
On that basis, there'll be a few Cork lads chomping at the bit to set the record straight this Saturday.
Don't think we'll be as nervous either - I expect Cork to come out all guns blazing on Saturday.

Ya your spot on - I know ive probably went to to town on Cronin a bit about his performance the last day - but nothing would make me happier then for the lad to have a stormer and march up the steps of the Hogan stand - everyone knows the talent is there, same goes for Lehane and Horgan - they all have the ability and hopefully they'll show it - and they'll need to bé on top form to beat this Clare team,

McCarthy was on for about 10 minutes the last day and in that time he won two catches, a free and set up a score. By any standards that's quite productive, by the standards of the Cork half forward line that day he was a hive of industry.

If we can break down their half back line we'll break them open like in the Munster semi final. Once we have ball in hand we have the forwards to do serious damage. Getting the ball into their hands is the crunch.

I wouldn't doubt Davy to have gone back to the drawing board and formulate another plan (JBM doesn't really consider how the opposition set up as much as Davy does) and I don't doubt for a second that their forwards will cause our backs as many problems if not more than the last day and will probably score at least one goal.

Maybe the weight of expectation on the Cork forwards is too much now that we expect them to improve. They might improve 10% but we probably need 20%.

Eamonn Murphy says in tonight's edition:

"There was speculation last week that Aidan Walsh and Ciarán Sheehan could be added to the squad, having popped up at training. The football powerhouses were dual minor and U21s for Cork (hurling). However during a press conference last week JBM stated there won't be any additions to the squad unless barring injuries (sic)".

I don't know what he means by "popped up at training" but safe to say the boys aren't being called up. End of.

Ya but hopefully getting a taste of it for next year....

Status
Not open for further replies.
EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
The Old Moderns
Clancys, 15-16 Princes St.

5th May 2024 @ 10:00 pm
More info..

Jack Ahern

Cantys, Tomorrow @ 6pm

More events ▼