Cork Hurlers - Part 2

I do find it ironic that you would chide me for “emotive stuff” when you started with your nonsensical guff about Cork winning it in 1990 being “robbery really” mind
The raging hot favorites Galway destroyed us in the first half but were winning by just 5 points at half time and that lead should have been 10+ at least. We were beaten all over the field. Only Galway’s awful shooting that day kept the scoreline down. Remember scorelines back then were lower than what they are now so 5 points was still a big lead.
Incredibly Cork scored 3 opportunist goals in the 2nd half at crucial times and some were against the run of play which were sucker blows that rocked Galway and were the deciding factor in the game.
Corks victory was a very unexpected win before the game and even more so at half time.
I think soundly you have a different view of what robbery in sport means. It’s not anything criminal, unfair or cheating. It happens all the time in sport. Cork astonishingly still in the game went out in the 2nd half and nailed Galway with a few killer blows to win the Liam McCarthy. That’s all.

If I hear one more person complain about the fcuking ref I’ll have an aneurism, The ref is a variable that you CANNOT predict or factor in to game plan.
I agree that it is not possible to control the ref but it is possible to influence him.
And this is something that we have been woefully inadequate at doing for as long as I can remember.
It is something that all the great managers and their teams in all sports have in their locker.
Have a look at cody and his “let the game flow, it’s a mans game” stuff the week of a game.
Kiely when refs were told to clamp down on the headshots a couple of years ago, Sheedy the same, all of them.
Kerry have been doing it forever, its all part of game prep.
Last Sunday we had a nervous rookie ref, first big game and we did nothing to try and influence him.
He didn’t know what to do for the black card incident so he went to Liam Gordon on the sideline who made the decision for him.
Why didn’t all the cork backs surround the ref and argue the decision? If they had would he have produced the yellow card so quickly for the sending off?
On the Daragh Fitz head shot again the cork players did nothing.
We are seen as a nice and an agreeable hurling team and have been now for a long time.
The problem with being nice and agreeable is that people will take advantage of you as they know there will be no pushback.
Owens is the ref on Sunday, a ref who like Brian Gavin has stated that he loves reffing cork games. Of course he does as we are a ref’s dream being so agreeable.
Rightly or wrongly the perception is out there that Owens gave 4 massive decisions against us last year the yielded 10 points for Limerick and put us out of the championship, can that perception be used to influence Owens on Sunday?
Will we see Pat Ryan reference it in interviews this week?
Will we see our players get in his ear on Sunday or will we let the clare players do all the roaring and shouting at him?
We saw it with the U20 against clare during the sideline incident they all piled in, no doubt the ref watching sub-consciously noted that this is not a nice and agreeable team.
Refs obviously are human too and don’t like the thought of been chased around the field and roared at.
If we had a strategy for influencing refs like all the top teams maybe last year it would have given us the one decision we neededover 3 games (an extra free in for us or a scored free not given to the opposition) that would have got us out of munster. Inches.
And yes I do also realise that we have loads of other pressing issues to address to get things right but this 'nice and agreeable tag has to go'

WHo starts the fouling? The corner back in almost all cases.
Have you ever seen gillane play?
When Cork play limerick and you are at it live
The minute a limerick player out the field runs on to the ball , instantly turn to look at gillane and his marker.
He is absolutely outstanding at holding and bumping hos opponent to get the space he needs.

He's a ferocious competitor and you need the same kind of player to oppose him.

The minute a limerick player out the field runs on to the ball , instantly turn to look at gillane and his marker.
He is absolutely outstanding at holding and bumping hos opponent to get the space he needs.

Agree. He names Cathal Barrett among his toughest markers and he is ferociously aggressive, as all backs need to be in the modern game.

Huw Lawlor another who has dealt with Gillane quite well. I think he has great reading of the game and also great in the air which you need for Gillane.

Fair play, you are the first poster here to actually grasp it. The rest of the crap posted here is nonsense, drop this fella or that fella without a fucken glimmer of player’s form., injuries etc. Drop the so called “pensioners”, do they think if there was a better alternative, players going well they would have not started them?
This thread has become gold dust for hilarity
Lads complaining about the “pensioners” being picked on their reputations yet stick ROF in their team against Clare, what did he do Sunday? Bar tog out.
ROF has been on form fit every chance he’s gotten since 2020, it’s the opposite for the three pensioners who really have only performed on a number occasions since 2019. ROF also score more than hoggie and the same as lehane in roughly half the amount of time while only coming back from injury.

"Most people" now being clear that "it's time" doesn't actually mean that it is time, or that it's the correct call.

For the record, I have no idea if v Clare is the right time to drop Hoggie from starting 15. It might be.
What do we need v Clare that Hoggie cannot deliver?
What positives aspects of what Hoggie brings can we do without v Clare?
Who do we have that will contribute more v Clare?
Would Hoggie be the kind of sub who would contribute to getting us over the line if it goes to the wire v Clare?
This is the lad that was pumping up the team before the match btw 🤣🤣

Unfortunately this is the cork hurling snob attitude, they think you can simply out hurl a full forward like gillane and actually don’t understand him as a player, outstanding skill and physically as strong and tough as any player currently who will bully a full back if required.
As you say to mark him you need someone very similar

Going down when not injured is the correct policy in these incidents on the forum here.
In fact the consensus would be that players who don't go down are naive fools.

I despise it myself, it's Fitzgerald should be getting the card there but I know posters here don't agree with me.

Only that wasn’t the consensus on here. But sure work away anyway..

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Tombstome presents: Darsombra plus guest Magic Pockets
Coughlan's, Douglas St.

30th May 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

Fireside Folk

The Welcome Inn, Today @ 9:30pm

More events ▼