Cork Hurlers - Part 2

Good post. A lot of irrational crankiness around but the frustration is deep among fans (it's still April and it the season is already hanging on a knife edge). We have some superb hurlers, we have promising underage success and plenty of expertise in the county, so fellas coming on here axe swinging left, right and centre, struggle for credibility.

Let's focus on what we can change now to salvage the season. Im sick of them starting the old guard up front when they clearly look like they are not the answer. They've been unbelievable servants for Cork (earning no wages) so let's be kind but PR will lose credibility if he persists banging our heads off the wall.

That said nobody is really chomping at the bit to overtake them either so put yourself in PRs shoes. There are difficult decisions to be made but he has to twist now and it should be easier to do it because we lost to the worst ranked team. Had this happened against one of the other three he might be forgiven for putting more or less the same team out but he has to make changes now or his credibility is shot. That starting 15 isn't going to be at Clare, Tipp or Limerick.
If JBM didn’t bite the bullet in 1999 and throw in the young fellas we wouldn’t have won the all ireland that year

It’s time to be brave

I think bringing on Seamie, Lehane and maybe Hoggy with 15/20 mins to go would be better now for those great servants might work better....on saying that i think Hoggy will start next week just by Pat Ryans interviews after the game.

The one thing that probably needs to be acknowledged too about the older players in the forwards is that over the last 5 or 6 years who of the guys who have emerged have really shown consistent form for Cork? To actually drag the jerseys off the backs of the old guard

Shane Kingston? Jack O’Connor? Tim O’Mahony? Luke Meade? Brian Hayes?
All have done very well in fits and starts and cameos and some have had a lot more chances than others but based on what we’re seeing in games (and the selectors see a lot more in training) can they have all that many complaints about not being fixtures in the Cork lineup? Not in my opinion. Even Twomey today, yes he was unlucky to be the first called ashore but he can’t be said to have been imposing himself on the game either, the tactics notwithstanding. Food for thought.
It's a tricky one.
Kingston was closest in terms of putting scores on the board and running defences ragged, just wasn't clicking for him in the league, seems to be lacking in confidence and struggles to win his own ball.
ROF and Deccie are dogged by injury.
Jack O'Connor- just don't know why he's not taken the next step, maybe injuries playing a part there too.
Hayes, needs to be played more, think he's probably got more potential to do damage than Twomey.
Barrett and Connolly were the best forwards in the U20 winning side in 2021, it's only now we're seeing them grow into their senior roles.
In Connolly's case that's solely down to injury.

All told, a fair portion of the progression problem is injury related.

On the flip side, Hoggie and Lehane in particular have been blessed with a robustness that's kept them really competitive against the younger crew.

Waterford gave the performance today that we have in 2022 against them when our backs were to the wall.

One question that I hope will generate discussion. If dropping Lehane, Harnedy and Hoggie for the Clare game do we think the players coming in are ready? Robbie O’Flynn not yet right. I’d start Hayes. Who else? Is it time to bring Ben Cunningham in? He’d a very good game for the Barrs this morning.
Good question. O'Flynn played a half today, seemed to be in the HF line but if he is judged good to start I would like to see him inside with Connolly, with Barrett roaming as he did today. If he is not fit to start, I would seriously consider Hayes. He is a frustrating player in some respects, but he would offer something different to Hoggy in terms of winning ball. Bit of a gamble obviously, but tbh Ryan has to take some risks now.

If Dalton was fit to start I would have him at HF. If not, O'Mahony on the wing instead. Of the three senior forwards, Harnedy is the one who I would be most inclined to keep. I like Twomey a lot but he didn't go that well and his confidence might have taken a knock. On balance I would go with Dalton and O'Mahony on the wings.

I would start Roche in midfield and move Fitz at 11 with instructions to run at Conlon any chance he has. (Or if you think Roche hasn't the physical presence there, you could try O'Mahony, though I personally think he would be better at HF.)

Cunningham on the bench if he is showing any sort of form in training. I wouldn't read much into a club league match other than it confirms that he is fit to play (and maybe has given him a little confidence boos). But whether he is ready to step up to championship level is another question.

Last edited:
EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Peppa Pig's Fun Day Out
Cork Opera House, Emmet Place, Cork

8th May 2024 @ 10:00 am
More info..

The Teachers Lounge (12A)

Triskel Arts Centre, Today @ 4pm

More events ▼