Cork Hurlers - Part 2

Collins

Eoin D Damo Sean O D

Rob Downey Joyce Millerick

Tommy Tim

Dalton Harnedy Hayes

Hoggie Connolly Barrett (Drifting)

Robbie, Fitzgibbon , Twomey, Jack , Niall O Leary to come in.

Last edited:
Disappointing that Shane Kingston has picked up an injury but at least it doesn't seem as if he will miss all of the games in Munster because of it, although it is better to err on the side of caution with hamstring injuries.
On a positive note, as mentioned by Shane, this creates an opportunity for someone else and I don't think I have ever seen a stronger Cork squad when you are gone past the first 18-20 players. Even more hopeful is that these are young players getting better and stronger all the time.

I think most of us would have a similar team in mind based on what we have seen so far this year. I think that the would be as many as thirteen of the same players in most peoples team which does show some stability and that is a good thing.

However, I would caution us all that the team will probably be picked on form and fitness over the last three to four weeks up to championship and when you consider that Mark Coleman and ROF may also be in the mix then the team becomes a little more uncertain.

I THINK that if asked to pick the team today , I would pick.

PC
ED DC SOD
GM CJ RD

MC TOC

DD DF ST
ROF AC SB

However, there are probably half a dozen players that could be switched in or out which would not weaken that team at all.
Obviously, this depends on fitness and availability.
That’s our strongest selection imo also. Bar Joyce, Coleman is probably our best hurler and has to start. We’ve issues in midfield so put him there please lads.

Fitzgibbon at 11 along with Dalton, Connolly etc are more than capable of racking up the scores from play that Harnedy, Hoggie, Lehane would have done & we’d have a scoring midfield and half back line also.

Pat and co will def start Hoggie though, would really be shocked if they don’t. They’ll also go with Lehane & Harnedy I reckon, but not as sure on that as I would be re Hoggie.

Waterford will have different formations at different stages of the game, there’s little point in tailoring too much to them - any of those 6 backs have plenty hurling to take on free man duties at different stages.

There’ll be a huge storm to weather but we should have too much scoring power once we can win the scrap first.

It's probably a very good shout on a possible team or at least a very feasible team in 2024.

The main worry I think the selectors have is if the team above has an off day who is the forward who is going to put up 7 or 8 points from play like Hoggie or Lehane might have done in the past on their day. (Past tense important here).

You really need that team as whole to be extremely consistent and the scoring contribution be distributed across the front 8.

We all hope that the likes of Connolly or Barrett etc will become a high scoring forward but it's not a guarantee yet.

We need some of those very good players named in that team to become great players while getting a consistent contribution from the others. I believe it will happen soon.
I don’t envision Barrett as a high scorer at all.

That’s our strongest selection imo also. Bar Joyce, Coleman is probably our best hurler and has to start. We’ve issues in midfield so put him there please lads.

Fitzgibbon at 11 along with Dalton, Connolly etc are more than capable of racking up the scores from play that Harnedy, Hoggie, Lehane would have done & we’d have a scoring midfield and half back line also.

Pat and co will def start Hoggie though, would really be shocked if they don’t. They’ll also go with Lehane & Harnedy I reckon, but not as sure on that as I would be re Hoggie.

Waterford will have different formations at different stages of the game, there’s little point in tailoring too much to them - any of those 6 backs have plenty hurling to take on free man duties at different stages.

There’ll be a huge storm to weather but we should have too much scoring power once we can win the scrap first.
I agree that is our best team but I think he will start Hoggie and bring on ROF as he has very little hurling played and maybe 20mins against Waterford might be enough for him to start with.

I don’t envision Barrett as a high scorer at all.
It's a strange one...he was a consistent scorer at underage and is a high scorer a club level. I think he finished top scorer in the senior A champ last year...but he plays a more selfless roll at senior IC level.

If he can steady up a small bit he's well capable of 4 or 5 points a game imo...he gets the chances but just hasn't been taking them.

It's a strange one...he was a consistent scorer at underage and is a high scorer a club level. I think he finished top scorer in the senior A champ last year...but he plays a more selfless roll at senior IC level.

If he can steady up a small bit he's well capable of 4 or 5 points a game imo...he gets the chances but just hasn't been taking them.
He’s playing the role he’s given I assume. At club level he will a focal point in a lot of their attacking play as they will seek him out and he will find space more easily. At IC he is part of a different machine, not the focal point, operating in very tight conditions, and with that extra layer of pressure to be accurate

He’s got the strength and hurling, I think he’ll settle into it well over the next while

He’s playing the role he’s given I assume. At club level he will a focal point in a lot of their attacking play as they will seek him out and he will find space more easily. At IC he is part of a different machine, not the focal point, operating in very tight conditions, and with that extra layer of pressure to be accurate

He’s got the strength and hurling, I think he’ll settle into it well over the next while
I agree with most of that. He played midfield in some of Blarneys games last year so I wouldn't say he was the focal point of their attack in those games but scored heavily anyway.

He's actually getting in great positions to score at Cork despite playing the roaming role but the radar has just been slighty off (Tipp game last year as an example). I think he will settle down because outside of the last 12 months at IC senior level his accuracy was always one of his strengths.

I would have been worried about his physicality before and his willingness to make and take the hits but he's improved that part of his game massively to his credit and his pace is a huge asset.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
The Old Moderns
Clancys, 15-16 Princes St.

5th May 2024 @ 10:00 pm
More info..

Jack Ahern

Cantys, Today @ 6pm

More events ▼