Cork Hurlers - Part 2

Unfortunately Waterford can’t win a game at minor or U20 in last few years and De La Sallie dominance is killing their club championship

We still have to go out and beat them by performing on 21 April but they’re not in a good place

Hmmm. Waterford probably won't make it out but will have at least one kick in them this year and they'd love it to be at home to Cork. Not to be underestimated under any circumstances.

The home game against Limerick this year could be the most important Cork hurling game in a decade. If we don't get out of Munster this year then an awful lot of what some fellas think is inevitable starts to look very different. If you'd said in 2017 walking away from the Munster final that we'd only make one final in the next 8 years and be on the end of one of the greatest beatings in the history of the game at that you'd have been written off as a massive pessimist.

Hmmm. Waterford probably won't make it out but will have at least one kick in them this year and they'd love it to be at home to Cork. Not to be underestimated under any circumstances.

The home game against Limerick this year could be the most important Cork hurling game in a decade. If we don't get out of Munster this year then an awful lot of what some fellas think is inevitable starts to look very different. If you'd said in 2017 walking away from the Munster final that we'd only make one final in the next 8 years and be on the end of one of the greatest beatings in the history of the game at that you'd have been written off as a massive pessimist.
A lot of scar tissue built up already on the Coleman, Fitz, Kingston generation. Winning one of the Clare or Limk. games last year would have been a massive boost to this team, hopefully their confidence has built back up and they can get over the line this year, if they can get out of Munster things might open up for us.

😀😀😀

For what it’s worth this is the team I think they will pick, I think we’d be overrun in the middle with poor Tommy doing the work of 3 men

Collins
Niall Damien Sean
Millerick Joyce RDowney
Tommy Fitzy
Dalton Lehane Harnedy
Barrett Connolly Horgan
I also think there’s a strong chance that will be the team, and that the first 2 subs will be Meade and Kingston, and it’s why I’m not front and centre at the optimism party (where I usually am at this time of year).

We’re falling into the same trap that has happened for a good few years now and it has the same ending.

It’s mad really that we clearly have the strongest panel we’ve had since 05 / 06, but a neutral would still be mad to put money on us in knockout conditions… because we’re still putting lads out there that struggle in those circumstances , we’re still putting lads out that can’t gather a ball under pressure and maybe maybe for all our talent we just don’t have a proven killer sharpshooter, and we’re only ok at keeper & full back.

We need ED, Coleman, ROF (the killer version), and a breakthrough from one of Twomey/ Hayes / Cunningham. If I could have had one lad from last years 20s it would have been Healy.

Pat Ryan has changed the attitude and culture of the squad with the never say die mindset and I think he is a really good manager, and clearly they were not putting much store in the early league campaign… but it’s impossible to see how we are tactically improving and it’s an area that other teams are far more developed than ourselves. Also Pat surely has all the statistics around tackles and specifically forwards’ tackles, and how those stats impact on who wins and who loses… and then still selects lads who struggle in that area. I don’t get that.

We’ve a right chance if we get the personnel right and one or two others step up another notch. We’ve the best centre back the country I believe. Potentially a game-changing bench. We could do massive damage if those pieces come together but I watched a few of last years games again there recently and there’s a few failings that are still there judging by the likely team above.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
John Smith
The White Horse, Ballincollig

12th May 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

UCC Music Recitals

Cyprus Avenue, Tomorrow @ 2pm

More events ▼