Cork Hurlers - Part 2

Was in N avan so did not see the game, 3-21 scored out of that 3-10 by 2 players no other player got more than a point. You wont win munster with a half forward line scoring 3 or less points. B Cunningham should have played last Saturday.

U

I’d also like to see Tim midfield and Darragh at 11 as well, so surely this weekend was our chance to take a look at this? The game was won early on, so why not push Darragh to 11 and bring Tim into MF instead of letting Fitz out there until he was gassed, and giving Tim about 10 minutes in a match that was dead
I was thinking the same but Darragh didn't play centre-forward in last years league and played there against Waterford and Clare in championship. If PR and the selectors have something up their sleeve I wouldn't be surprised if Tommy O'Connell plays at 11 although it is unlikely.

danielthelanger

I agree with Happyhonkaman, no training sessions replicate games even if the games are of a one sided nature. Training session backs v forwards are required but remember the players know each other inside out which is not the case when meeting opposition like Wexford. Wexford were undefeated in the league until Saturday but as the league goes on they were going to miss Lee Chin and Rory O'Connor among others even more. They met Cork with a strong half-back line in particular and the team going more direct because of Alan Connolly's impact.

bluesball

Taking out the obvious top scorers there was still a good spread of scores from the team with 2 of the half-back line getting in on the act. Like the half-forwards outside of Connolly the full-forward line also didn't score much from play but this can be the case when a match is done and dusted by half-time.

Was in N avan so did not see the game, 3-21 scored out of that 3-10 by 2 players no other player got more than a point. You wont win munster with a half forward line scoring 3 or less points. B Cunningham should have played last Saturday.
I suppose the full forward line should’ve foregone clear scoring opportunities to get the half forwards more involved.

Bulk of Horgan’s frees were probably won in and around the half forward line, hence the lack of scores from them, the likes of Harnedy and Barrett were being pulled and held a fair bit when running through and then Hoggy would ultimately convert the frees.

They dropped back a bit too in patches, and opened space in front of the two lads inside, particularly Dalton, Connolly scored three, had two scrambled away near the line and pulled another one not too far wide.

Absolutely room for improvement in the half forwards but I think they’re not a million miles away and realistically you can only beat what’s put in front of you, the championship won’t be decided based on a game in Wexford Park in March.

An unrelated but interesting observation I noticed earlier, though ultimately meaningless in the grand scheme of things, is that Clare topped the group only scoring 1 goal (against us), whilst also letting in 5.

A lot of pundits backing Limerick, Clare and Cork to emerge from Munster, with Limerick odds on to complete 5 in a row. Waterford written off which makes them very dangerous. Hopefully Clare vs Limerick in league final and meet each other soon after in championship. Let the fun begin!

I would have thought the ratings would be
1. Limerick
2. Clare
3. Tipp/ Cork
4. Waterford.

I have Waterford last but I think they will have a sting in the tail when championship comes around, Davy is focusing on championship and doesn't care about the league.

Everyone seems to be picking Tipp as a certainty to get through out of Munster and I think they have a huge challenge... as does everybody else.

Limerick are the obvious favourities and Clare based on recent form should be second favourites imo.
I was at the game and would not draw any conclusion like that. There were opportunities for players to take scores but instead they tended to move the ball to try to set up goals scoring opportunities. The games was over before half time and it was a very comfortable win with, in my opinion, no lessons to be learned.
If Cork are lucky enough to play Wexford later in the year in championship anyone using this game as a guide would be foolish.
Cork could easily have scored six, seven or possibly more on the day.

I think Waterford are terrible this year.

I actually feel sorry for the likes of Barron, Dessie, Stephen B.

On the plus side, i dont think we will be seeing Davey managing an inter county team for a while. Imagine the money Waterford have given him.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Jackie Fabulous (Americas Got Talent) Plus Guests
City Limits, Coburg St.

4th Oct 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

Brian Kenny: Tempus Futurum

Triskel Arts Centre, Today @ 6pm

More events ▼