Cork Hurlers - Part 2

it’s not a problem for me as I enjoy rugby. Kids have more of a choice what sport to pick nowadays, and a lot more are attending rugby playing schools. In the past… North Mon and Chriost Ri had a monopoly. Of course Gaelic football is declining and rugby is ramping up.

Was in Elvery's sports shop yesterday on Ollypolly looking for some stuff for my nephews when my eye was drawn to GAA jersies. Jaysus I thought to myself that Na Piarsaigh must have gotten a new sponsor or something. But on closer inspection the racks and racks of GAA jerseys were all KK and Clare - in a Cork shop like.

WTAF is going on? 🤮
Saw them recently, Just as well you didnt spot the rack of Rangers jerseys, you would have had to be carried out,

it’s not a problem for me as I enjoy rugby. Kids have more of a choice what sport to pick nowadays, and a lot more are attending rugby playing schools. In the past… North Mon and Chriost Ri had a monopoly. Of course Gaelic football is declining and rugby is ramping up.
If you knew anything about underage Gaelic Football you will see that numbers are off the charts. Rugby Clubs in Cork cannot fill certain age groups with a team. That is a fact. The only thing Gaa in Cork competes with is Soccer which has always been huge in Cork and kids get regular fixtures. Can we please stop this nonsense about a Rugby Revolution because you heard Pat and Mary are sending little Godfrey to Pres. There is 2 fucking Senior Rugby Clubs in Cork.

Wearing other county jerseys is very popular with kids now. I’ve relatives in the sticks and wearing the GAA jersey has nearly replaced the soccer jersey in rural areas.
Although I don’t think I’ve ever seen a Cork kid wearing a KK or Kerry home jersey!!
They should be rightfully mocked & bullied by their peers if this is going on!

We won last years U20 AI because of our overall physicality. We blew the opposition away, who arguably had some better hurlers.
An AI win is an AI win though. But the question is our overall approach going after underage victories now at the expense of development of longer term prospects for senior hurling.
Is your worry that certain players who might be late developers in terms of size are being overlooked and not picked? Or is it that the lads who are being selected are getting away with being only ok hurlers because they can physically dominate their opponents?

On the first worry, it's hard to say without a good knowledge of underage hurling throughout the county. On the second, last year's U20 team was very well conditioned and played a quite physical style, but was also a very good hurling side. In terms of their touch, the crispness of their play and their striking, they were imo a match for any team they met (though they were run very close in four of their six games).

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Stand-up Comedy Club: Cork's Primetime Comedy Show
The Roundy, Castle St.

25th May 2024 @ 8:30 pm
More info..

Gerald Ahern

Cantys, Today @ 6pm

More events ▼