Cork Hurlers - Part 2

Contrary to what RnB has said, I think it was worth trying this out, and doing so again. But there has to be joined-up thinking. The aim of this tactic is to create space further up the field, and to exploit that the Cork player (Twomey, in this case) has to hit a ball into space, preferably for a fast forward to run onto. Instead the ball looked like it was hit towards the forward rather than into space, hence the Clare backs converged on the target and turned over possession easily. Furthermore, the inside line only had one quick player (O'Flynn, who struggled to get into the game).

One other point - I wonder why this puck-out tactic was used playing with a stiff breeze, rather than against it?

The view that we only lost by a puck of a ball and it’s only February and it’s only the league etc would hold water if we were chasing 5 ai in a row and 6 munsters in a row. We needed to make a statement and this loss just mirrors our championship round robin form over the last 5 years. We are better hurlers but we lost 😞
‘better hurlers’ don’t lose

Contrary to what RnB has said, I think it was worth trying this out, and doing so again. But there has to be joined-up thinking. The aim of this tactic is to create space further up the field, and to exploit that the Cork player (Twomey, in this case) has to hit a ball into space, preferably for a fast forward to run onto. Instead the ball looked like it was hit towards the forward rather than into space, hence the Clare backs converged on the target and turned over possession easily. Furthermore, the inside line only had one quick player (O'Flynn, who struggled to get into the game).

One other point - I wonder why this puck-out tactic was used playing with a stiff breeze, rather than against it?
Agree. The league is the time to try new ways of playing and to perfect a style. In my opinion they also have to be careful to not fully show their hand. Don’t want to give the game away in February. Hope I’m not giving the management team and players too much credit!

Really helpful that the sergeant majors on here are judge and jury of whether lads are giving "absolute 100% and fighting like dogs".
I'd say PR and his team would notice more too if they were sat on the arses at home watching on TG4, or in some corner of the stand.
So important to keep them on alert, real risk that they'll all start slacking off without some rough words and being called out on here for every single imagined offence that contributes to "record years without a trophy":ROFLMAO:

I am assuming none of them would darken the door of this place, because unlike us they've better and more constructive ways to contribute something positive to the cause of Cork hurling.
Strange. Its a discussion forum. I'd be worried if P Ryan was on here...

I'm a bit concerned that a lot of those young guys showed us they're not yet at the required level.

I'd be equally concerned that people are expecting too much from some players - particularly Cunningham and Connolly.

Cunningham's still very young. He has the potential to be a great player, but that doesn't mean he will. Connolly had a couple of decent games in Munster a couple of years ago. He was poor enough (on a limited ball supply) against Galway. We've see little of him since due to his misfortune with injury. He has huge potential but is still a long, long, way from becoming a star forward. It's also worth noting that, for me at least, Cotter often outplays him at club level.

We all hope that these guys fulfill their potential and become the players we suspect they are. But putting too much pressure on them too soon, won't help. If they were in Limerick they'd have a few years to play themselves into the team.

I'm a bit concerned that a lot of those young guys showed us they're not yet at the required level.

I'd be equally concerned that people are expecting too much from some players - particularly Cunningham and Connolly.

Cunningham's still very young. He has the potential to be a great player, but that doesn't mean he will. Connolly had a couple of decent games in Munster a couple of years ago. He was poor enough (on a limited ball supply) against Galway. We've see little of him since due to his misfortune with injury. He has huge potential but is still a long, long, way from becoming a star forward. It's also worth noting that, for me at least, Cotter often outplays him at club level.

We all hope that these guys fulfill their potential and become the players we suspect they are. But putting too much pressure on them too soon, won't help. If they were in Limerick they'd have a few years to play themselves into the team.
Spot on particularly about the expectations on younger players. Most of our younger players are completely unproven at senior intercounty level. Cunningham has played in one game. It’s the likes of Kingston, O’Donoghue, Coleman (hard for him as he missed last year) and Fitzgibbon that need to show leadership and drive it on. They need to be our most reliable players. If Connolly wants Hoggie’s spot then he needs to take it from him. Nobody can be handed anything. That’s just one example.

it looks like in our division 1A that even finishing 4th would get us to the top division next year ...with weaker sides in the other group you would imagne our groups 4th team will have a better scoring difference.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Stand-up Comedy Club: Thursday Showcase
The Roundy, Castle St.

16th May 2024 @ 8:30 pm
More info..

Psychology And Literature: Cork World Book Fest

Triskel Arts Centre, Today @ 3pm

More events ▼