Cork Hurlers - Part 2

There’s one thing we have learned today. This crap of the more established fellas not walking back into the team because there’s plenty to take their places is nonsense. Coleman, Fitz, Harnedy, A Connolly, Lehane are all walking into this team at 70-80% once they are fit to play.
There has been a massive amount of disrespect shown to players of the calibre of Coleman, Fitzgibbon, Harnedy, Cadogan- I wouldn't think any of them believes they have a divine right to start, but they'd be right to believe that they can bring something extra to the team anytime they do play.

We still miss Hoggy badly - a forward 6 minus the strengths and experience of Hoggy, Harnedy, O'Flynn and Lehane struggling to score in the first 20 minutes was tough to watch. The inclusion of any 2 from that 4 automatically makes us more potent in attack.

Not saying that any of our starting forwards today aren't good enough, they just don't have the experience of playing consistently together yet.

Hard to see Kingston starting championship unless we’ve lots of injuries .. he showed again today that he can’t win his own ball.
Barrett a better bet
A clinical forward line today would have got 3 or 4 goals from our mistakes

We really got out of jail today, we were sloppy and lethargic for about 55 minutes and thundered into the game in the last 15! minutes and got away with it.

We were obsessed with short passes today, a trait that I thought we got rid of, it was ridiculous the amount of hospital passes we tried to play in defence. If we persist with that we will have a very short summer.

No excuses but we don’t know what training has been done for the last few weeks but I suspect we are just coming out of a very heavy training block. That’s certainly what it looked like. If not I’d be really worried

What the fcuk is our goalie at coming out as a spare man when the danger is still there. Some on here are lauding him for his spectacular recovery but he should never have left his line. More sloppiness

Did someone say Shane Kingston got man of the match? You’re shitting me surely? He barely hit a ball all day, no less than a lot of others but man of the match? I’d have given it to Paudie Power or Seamus Harnedy, no one else deserved it

Not one player stood out today, not one, to me Eoin Downey, Ciaran Joyce, Tommy O Connell, Declan Dalton, Shane Barrett and Paudie Power were the best of the starters with Seamus Harnedy and Robert Downey the pick of the subs.

That doesn’t mean the other fellas should be written off or anything but some have dropped down the pecking order and things are going to get serious from here on in.

We have Clare next weekend in a dead rubber and a league semi final the following weekend against probably Waterford or Kilkenny. If players are going to start against Waterford in championship they are going to have to perform from now on in, and I include the returning older players in that. To start someone in championship who hasn’t struck a ball for you would be some gamble to take no matter how much experience they have.

But Seamus showed today the value of older experienced players who are prepared to work hard and fight for the ball. Others have yet to show if they can or not.

Team for Clare

Ger Collins
Niall O Leary Daire O Leary Eoin Downey
Cormac O Brien Tommy O Connell Robert Downey
Ciaran Joyce Brian Roche
Declan Dalton Conor Cahalane Seamus Harnedy
Alan Cadogan.Paudie Power Shane Barrett

I’m presuming anyone not fit enough for the bench this week won’t be fit enough to start next week

Personally I don’t think Ciaran Joyce and Tommy O Connell should both start half back as they both like the free role of 6. Now is the time to look at Joyce midfield as we need a driving force in there going foward so let’s look at Tommy at 6

Last edited:
That was poor. First 20 mins a bad as you could imagine. Great to see the lads rally and win but it was fortunate enough. Tommy O Connell was immense. He's turning into a real leader in the team. I don't know where he fits in the Championship 15 but he's brilliant and his attitude is needed. Joyce was very good I thought without having to be outstanding. Barrett had a good second half and Power did well off limited ball. Dalton was poor, as was Hayes and Kingston from open play. Things aren't happening for Ethan Twomey at the moment unfortunately. Great to see Downey and Harnedy back. Seamie looked very lively and sharp.
Agree on Tommy O'Connell, he gives us forward momentum.
Rarely looks to pass backwards or laterally.
There was some kamikaze backpeddling going on towards the end.
Is it nerves that makes getting it back to Collins look like the best option?
Can we stamp that out?! My nerves won't be able for it come championship 😅😅

We really got out of jail today, we were sloppy and lethargic for about 55 minutes and thundered into the game in the last 15! minutes and got away with it.

We were obsessed with short passes today, a trait that I thought we got rid of, it was ridiculous the amount of hospital passes we tried to play in defence. If we persist with that we will have a very short summer.

No excuses but we don’t know what training has been done for the last few weeks but I suspect we are just coming out of a very heavy training block. That’s certainly what it looked like. If not I’d be really worried

What the fcuk is our goalie at coming out as a spare man when the danger is still there. Some on here are lauding him for his spectacular recovery but he should never have left his line. More sloppiness

Did someone say Shane Kingston got man of the match? You’re shitting me surely? He barely hit a ball all day, no less than a lot of others but man of the match? I’d have given it to Paudie Power or Seamus Harnedy, no one else deserved it

Not one player stood out today, not one, to me Eoin Downey, Ciaran Joyce, Tommy O Connell, Declan Dalton, Shane Barrett and Paudie Power were the best of the starters with Seamus Harnedy and Robert Downey the pick of the subs.

That doesn’t mean the other fellas should be written off or anything but some have dropped down the pecking order and things are going to get serious from here on in.

We have Clare next weekend in a dead rubber and a league semi final the following weekend against probably Waterford or Kilkenny. If players are going to start against Waterford in championship they are going to have to perform from now on in, and I include the returning older players in that. To start someone in championship who hasn’t struck a ball for you would be some gamble to take no matter how much experience they have.

But Seamus showed today the value of older experienced players who are prepared to work hard and fight for the ball. Others have yet to show if they can or not.
poor game from a cork point of view, newcomers didn't put their hand up. Disappointing crowd but with the rugby understandable. For the second game in a row thought Barrett was best of the bunch. We won't be getting carried away with league performances.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Award Winning Steve Hughes (Australia)
City Limits, Coburg St.

15th Jun 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

Jazz Improv! All Players Welcome

Crane Lane Theatre, Today @ 9pm

More events ▼