Cork Hurlers - Part 2

Who did well?
Cormac O Brien is seriously throwing his name in the hat for the Championship at wing back. No nonsense, big, strong and agile and can play.

Hayes and Barrett looked lively albeit wasteful. Tommy O Connell is really growing into a general role but I'm not sure how it will work in Championship intensity. Conor Cahalane was good in spurts too.

Twomey had all the signs of a lad making the jump to intercounty senior hurling. Couldn't get his running game going and things seemed rushed and panicked with him. The game will slow down for him in time and he'll be seen in better feck. Cunningham had a game to forget. Quirke has yet to get firing too.

Hard for a team of random lads thrown together to be world beaters but there was very little organisation and cohesion to things. Work rate was poor and lads were half asleep. Maybe it was a case of hard to be motivated against a team like Westmeath but some lads should have been chomping at the bit for a chance to impress.

Cormac O Brien is seriously throwing his name in the hat for the Championship at wing back. No nonsense, big, strong and agile and can play.

Hayes and Barrett looked lively albeit wasteful. Tommy O Connell is really growing into a general role but I'm not sure how it will work in Championship intensity. Conor Cahalane was good in spurts too.

Twomey had all the signs of a lad making the jump to intercounty senior hurling. Couldn't get his running game going and things seemed rushed and panicked with him. The game will slow down for him in time and he'll be seen in better feck. Cunningham had a game to forget. Quirke has yet to get firing too.

Hard for a team of random lads thrown together to be world beaters but there was very little organisation and cohesion to things. Work rate was poor and lads were half asleep. Maybe it was a case of hard to be motivated against a team like Westmeath but some lads should have been chomping at the bit for a chance to impress.
Maybe some lads were chomping at the bit to impress that they forgot to play the game. A very good learning experience for them all.

The team for Wexford will be very interesting. If the selectors follow their form they will give Daire O Leary, Ger Millerick, Ethan Twomey and Ben Cunningham another start. And if fit Tim O Mahony and Darragh Fitzgibbon are fit they will have to get a run out too as will Hoggy, Damien and Rob Downey. But can they play them all is the issue? The Clare game then has to be as close to our championship team as possible.

Last edited:
A game against Westmeath might just show a lot of people that underage is just that underage. You cannot throw it a lot of young lads together & expect them all to get to the required level immediately. The team barring injuries will have a 2/3 new lads at most starting come championship time ( depending on injuries).

Well I got that totally wrong today lads.Put my hand up... Thought that they'd be fighting to get a look in, ideal opportunity against a poor team Kingston, Barrett and Niall ó Leary would be the only to make the starting championship line up.

Well I got that totally wrong today lads.Put my hand up... Thought that they'd be fighting to get a look in, ideal opportunity against a poor team Kingston, Barrett and Niall ó Leary would be the only to make the starting championship line up.
Does it not tell you something that two of the three players you mentioned to start championship were, along with Luke Meade, the most experienced players on the pitch, and the third is no rookie either. Young players need time and encouragement, they are getting that under this management but they also don’t need to be built up by keyboard supporters as the saviours of Cork hurling

Awful game today, It was the first time i’ve went to a double header and came out enjoying the football more!

I thought S. Kingston showed his experience today, I thought he was the most clinical player today and was the calm head needed when you have a lot of debutants.

Ben Cunningham seemed to be a bit shell shocked today even with the little pressure against the relegation team for the league.

Luke Meade again I thought he was very poor (even for his standards). I honestly forgot he was playing until the last ten minutes when every time I looked over at him he was walking with hands on hips.

B. Hayes, E. Downey, C. O’Brien, T. O’Connell, S. Kingston, S. Barrett, B. Hayes all impressed, the rest were not good enough on the day but there is still room to improve for our young players.

Does it not tell you something that two of the three players you mentioned to start championship were, along with Luke Meade, the most experienced players on the pitch, and the third is no rookie either. Young players need time and encouragement, they are getting that under this management but they also don’t need to be built up by keyboard supporters as the saviours of Cork hurling
Was down there today, don't spend all my time on this unlike some. Not afraid to call it either and admit when I'm wrong. They were the 3 best on show and if others can't impress against the westmeaths then so be it, we go with what we have until their next opportunity. Rebels abú.....

Patrick Collins
Sean O Donoghu
e Eoin Downey ———
———- Ciaran Joyce Damien Cahalane
Brian Roche —————
Declan Dalton Conor Lehane ————-
Robbie O Flynn Patrick Horgan —-——-
After today I think Niall O’Leary is in pole position for no4, Cormac O Brien has to be seriously contender for the no 5 slot, Ethan Twomey could yet play himself into the no9 jersey but Luke Meade has to be in pole position at the moment, 12 is wide open and 15 looks like a battle between Shane Barrett, Brian Hayes and Shane Kingston. Darragh Fitz, Tim O’Mahony and Alan Connolly are yet to be seen too

Was down there today, don't spend all my time on this unlike some. Not afraid to call it either and admit when I'm wrong. They were the 3 best on show and if others can't impress against the westmeaths then so be it, we go with what we have until their next opportunity. Rebels abú.....
You were down there today, do you want a medal or something? 🤣 I was down there as well. Do I get one too? 🤣

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Do You Believe In The Power Of Rock & Roll? - An Evening with John Robb
The Richmond Revival, College Road, Fermoy, Co. Cork, P61 T292

14th Sep 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

A Bend In The Road

St. Peters Cork, Today @ 10am

More events ▼