Cork Hurlers - Part 2

I think Hayes would be worth playing at half forward. Tim as well as he doesn't have the shooting and eye for scoring to be an inside forward. Tim a possibility for midfield too I guess. Robbie will probably be played on the 40 too but I would love to see him been given a chance in the full forward line, and especially at full forward. I think the corner suits Connolly better and the model that Flanagan has invented as Limericks full forward is the way to go in my opinion. Strong, mobile who floats around and picks off 4 or 5 points a game because full backs just cannot get close enough to him. Robbie can be that player but he'll probably be needed on the wing to grab ball and run up and down the line.

Harnedy is 33 this year which isn't over the hill but he's given so much and unfair to expect him to carry things again. However another good year out of him would be ideal as the new talent hopefully bridges the gap.

Midfield is a huge issue of who's your best pairing. Regardless of club form and what he has done in the past, Fitzgibbon has to evolve with the game to stay there. He is just too easy to bully and teams have found out how to negate his influence to a few trademark bursts. We also haven't found a guy to help him there in that regard. Lads like Meade have been nothing short of professional servants but they're jack of all trade lads who could do a job anywhere on the pitch reallt without excelling in any position. No doubt Fitzgibbon one of the most electric players in the country and you'd hope Pat finds a place for him and I'm sure he will. Realistically you're hoping for one of the new lads to go to another gear in that middle part of the field. Good thing is there are plenty lads out there who could step up in time.

Interesting discussion on our options.

For what it’s worth I think center foward is the key role and will be between Conor Lehane, Darragh Fitzgibbon and if fit Mark Coleman. It’s probably the only free role in hurling outside of center back so the selectors will want one of our key hurlers there to dictate the play. Long term I think it’s the best place for Coleman but in the meantime I’d love to see Fitzy tried there when he’s back fit and we know what Lehane brings to the role.

I don’t think Robbie has the composure to play there but can obviously fit in on the wing but I would love to see him in the corner as he has a burst of pace and an eye for goal
Mark Coleman cf is a non runner. Watched him playing there for Blarney many times and doesn't perform there. Not related to forward or thinks like a forward.

We need more physicality in midfield, we have been bullied there in

recent years, there are some young lads coming through but I am not sure they will be ready for 2023.
Ethan Twomey and Brian O Sullivan in particular offer hope for the future in that position.

We need more physicality in midfield, we have been bullied there in

recent years, there are some young lads coming through but I am not sure they will be ready for 2023.
Ethan Twomey and Brian O Sullivan in particular offer hope for the future in that position.
Spot on. You can’t throw lads in before they are ready. It’d ruin them.

Shane will have a big year, he’s still our biggest goal threat and maybe he comes off the bench in some games and starts In others.DF, agree with most posters, he needs a big year he hasn’t progressed inter county as we would of thought after 2018. Still a class act but there is another gear to the lad and hopefully he finds it. TOM, never been convinced, probably because never seen him settled in a spot. I think he needs that, a bit headless at times so might be better with an off the cuff forward role. Would hope Cunningham and Hayes get some time in the league. Eoin Downey is another to watch, hope Daire O Leary overcomes his injury issues. Would be great to see him at least get a run. Sometimes we are a bit quick to judge lads,they say the step up is huge to this level so got to respect players opinions. Anyways SK for cork top scorer this championship!!

Darragh and Coleman ‘havent kicked on’ since 2017 😂 ah here… Mark is a wizard - he’s done phenomenal stuff over the last few years, not his fault he was asked to do something that so clearly did not suit his strengths the last couple of seasons

Both of the lads have more hurling in their baby fingers than WOD… wod will barely hit a point in a club game, he’s just a (very effective) ‘tackler’ in a phenomenally dominant team

I reckon he went through 2 or 3 games last year without striking the ball with his hurley… can’t be in a list like that when you just hand pass and tackle

This is the psyche which has hurt Cork hurling over the years. Turning our nose up at a WOD type player.

D Fitz goes on lung bursting runs for a score and might not be seen for the next 15 mins in a game. Whereas WOD is all about work rate and physicality and creating a platform for others.
He’s also bullied the shit out of D Fitz when they have faced each other over the years.

I’d like us to have physical workhorses to compete in the middle 8. We’d be a more effective unit with two Bill Coopers than Fitz and Meade.

We need to learn lessons of the past. We have the size options now to compete.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Io Capitano (15A)
Triskel Arts Centre, Tobin St.

30th Apr 2024 @ 8:05 pm
More info..

DJ Darren K

The Pav, Tomorrow @ 7pm

More events ▼