Cork Hurlers - Part 2

Makes perfect sense to anyone who watched the game without the bias blinkers on.

Thankfully the OTT views on Coleman on here are not shared by supporters and fans of the game in general.
No bias at all, Coleman had a great game vs Waterford when moved from centre to wing back. All credit to him.

For me, Joyce and Cahalane were our best players in defense vs Galway.

Do you think Coleman played better than the 2 above?

No bias at all, Coleman had a great game vs Waterford when moved from centre to wing back. All credit to him.

For me, Joyce and Cahalane were our best players in defense vs Galway.

Do you think Coleman played better than the 2 above?
Not especially, I think there was very little between our players who did play well, but I'm not reeling in shock or thinking it was a typo that he made the team.
Loads of people clearly think he was one of our best players on the day and I've no problem with that.

The amount of crap that's written about Coleman on here is fairly sickening.

Some fellas can't mention him without putting tippy tappy in the same sentence.

A lobby has started to keep the current management in place.
They did their best, failed and must go en bloc.
They had too many faults
1.) Inconsistencies
Rob Downey, Alan Connolly, Conor Lehane, Patrick Horgan and Shane Barrett were picked, replaced and dropped.
Alan Cadogan couldn’t make the squad, made it and scored 3 points.
The young subs were in briefly, got a little game time and were then discarded - Dara Connery, Sam Quirke. Eoin Roche and Sean Twomey.
Sean O’Leary Hayes was on almost all squads and was then dropped while a junior hurler remained in the squad.
A good management knows it’s best team and subs.
2.) Inability to learn
Mark Coleman is not a defender but they persisted with him as a back.
Jack O’Connor does not have the ball control for inter county hurling.
Darragh Fitzgibbon doesn’t work hard enough.
All of these have speed but as the Canon said:
“Greyhounds can’t play hurling”
3.) Poor coaching or none
The three missed goal chances v Galway are a classic example. A coach of mine said:
“Wait till you see the whites of the goalies eyes”
It is very difficult to beat a good keeper from 20 metres. Good finishers like Gillane, Whelan. Bennett and Hutchinson know this. They have been coached.
Collins ha clearly not been coached on positional play and the need to stand up. Nicky Quaid and Eoin Murphy are the clear opposites. Btw both are in their thirties and Cathal Hickey should not be ruled out on the basis of age. I doubt if Colllins has the reflexes for this level. Pick the best.
4.) Poor basic knowledge of tactics
While we have graduated from 90% ping pong to 25% it still is killing us.
In hurling a strong halfback line is critical. We had that with OhAilpin/ Curran/Gardiner and five out of the last six teams in this championship had a halfback line that could deal with high puckouts against them. We couldn’t and only Ciaran Joyce could be relied on.
It is also a basic that a quick low ball is best for a fullforward line. We gave it either high or slow.
A complete change is required not the Lanigan’s Ball so common in Cork.
Pat Ryan/Wayne Sherlock, Fergal Ryan or Richie Kelleher bringing a bit of Glen Steel would all fill the bill or a combination of them would.
I have managed a number of teams and my first comment to all of them has been:
“I don’t believe in three year plans as they are an excuse for SFA in the first two years. I have a one year plan - win every match”
Cody has used this for decades and that’s why is is the best manager ever.
Up the Rebels

It the nature of the forum, some players aren't allowed be criticised here, favourites if you will. I didn't see Hurlywurly crying from his ditch when Cahalane was pilloried here. ;)
Pointing out that the criticism is OTT, or skewed when it comes to specific players, is not really advocating that "some players aren't allowed to be criticised" is it?
Nope, definitely not amongst the foxgloves in the ditch that I'm in.

That said I think the criticism of players on here veers towards vendetta against the same few specific players in the squad.

I love Cahalane, think he's got a heart and a half for the game. Again a lot of the criticism of him is of the out of the box variety. Served up regardless of how he has actually played in any given game.

Sean o' Donoughe Is playing for Muskerry tonight. Fair play to him
It was last chance saloon for Muskerry and Sean to play Senior hurling this year. They beat Carbery comfortably in the end. 3 losses out of 3 for Carbery but in fairness they're coming on from what they used to be

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Funny Fridays Special
City Limits, Coburg St.

3rd May 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

DJ Val

Crane Lane Theatre, Today @ 11:50pm

More events ▼