Cork Hurlers - Part 2

Ea
Sure if we follow that to it’s logical conclusion nobody has won a match yet in the Munster championship this year, because wins against Tipp and Waterford don’t count, and clearly Cork get no credit for beating them, therefore beating Cork doesn’t count either, and Limerick v Clare was a draw so nobody has won a match and everyone is shit.

I’m old enough to remember Deiselona, because I’m more than two weeks old.
Each game should be taken on it’s own merits, we had two games against Limerick and Clare where our tactics were a joke shop, Limerick hammered us on the pitch and the scoreboard while Clare just hammered us on the pitch. The Waterford performance was a complete contrast, we were in their faces and took them on and were well deserved winners and we backed that performance up against Tipperary and pummelled them.

But it is only now the real championship starts, there will be no second or third chances if we get things wrong. We have stumbled on a way of playing that suits us and we have (almost) stumbled on finding our first 15. We are in a good place with a good chance of at least reaching the semi final.

You are funny, bitter but funny

Stay off the juice, it’s not doing you any good 😂😂😂
You are the most annoying poster on the entire Sports Thread - You come on here pontificating to all & sundry about Cork Hurling yet supported an incompetent regime that set Cork Hurling back for decades and almost destroyed the top brand in GAA. You have zero credibility but I'm not going to waste anymore time reading your inane posting.
You are polluting this thread and I'm putting you on ignore. Should have done it a long time ago. You are a gormless idiot.

Lads lots of posts with opinions on Corks tactical changes and who was responsible so here is mine -

1. selecting a natural No 6 in that key position was a huge change
  2. selecting a defensive midfielder who works hard and links play like Meade was huge change
  3. letting Coleman and Fitzgibbon have the freedom to play their natural game was significant
  4. Selecting a player like Connolly who can win dirty ball and score goals was significant
  5. Mixing up the long and the short game was a huge change
  6. increased work rate of the players was a massive change
I would have been very critical of management myself as #1,2,3,4,5 above should all have been done during the league as the AI final hammering last year should have been enough in itself to prove that these steps were needed. Eventually management got it right but I am hearing from good sources exactly the same as what R&B has been saying ie the players asked for a meeting to discuss setup and tactics after the Clare game. Management were big enough to take some stuff on board and the players responded with two very good performances.

I think we need to give credit to both management and players for working their way through this. Could it have been done earlier ? it certainly could but better late than never and we are in a better place now and can kick on from there.

The key game to judge all of this on was v Waterford and Cork delivered - last Sunday was no real indicator as Waterford were a beaten docket before Clare game as they knew full well Tipp weren’t going to take out Cork and give them a lifeline

Time to stop the silly bickering lads - we are now on to the next stage and let’s give credit where it is due as this turnaround would not be possible without initially some grown up discussion between players and management and then some better management decision-making. We have still won nothing.

Corcaigh Abu

Red&blue; can you give it a rest? I read this thread as there's some good posters on here.

Recently it's turned into a sludgefest between you and others; take it to private messaging, if you must.
Why aim that post at just me? Why not the idiots who just come on here to cause trouble? Or why not the other genuine posters they target?

Lads lots of posts with opinions on Corks tactical changes and who was responsible so here is mine -

1. selecting a natural No 6 in that key position was a huge change
  2. selecting a defensive midfielder who works hard and links play like Meade was huge change
  3. letting Coleman and Fitzgibbon have the freedom to play their natural game was significant
  4. Selecting a player like Connolly who can win dirty ball and score goals was significant
  5. Mixing up the long and the short game was a huge change
  6. increased work rate of the players was a massive change
I would have been very critical of management myself as #1,2,3,4,5 above should all have been done during the league as the AI final hammering last year should have been enough in itself to prove that these steps were needed. Eventually management got it right but I am hearing from good sources exactly the same as what R&B has been saying ie the players asked for a meeting to discuss setup and tactics after the Clare game. Management were big enough to take some stuff on board and the players responded with two very good performances.

I think we need to give credit to both management and players for working their way through this. Could it have been done earlier ? it certainly could but better late than never and we are in a better place now and can kick on from there.

The key game to judge all of this on was v Waterford and Cork delivered - last Sunday was no real indicator as Waterford were a beaten docket before Clare game as they knew full well Tipp weren’t going to take out Cork and give them a lifeline

Time to stop the silly bickering lads - we are now on to the next stage and let’s give credit where it is due as this turnaround would not be possible without initially some grown up discussion between players and management and then some better management decision-making. We have still won nothing.

Corcaigh Abu
Great post and well said.

And following advice from good genuine posters on here, to help our enjoyment of this thread I will be withdrawing from discussion with the wind up merchants, let them chat between themselves

Lads relax. We all know The Jury is still out. This Management team were forced to make changes because the gun was to the head. Let's not make out any of these lads are tactical Guru's FFS.
Connolly keeps any full back line in check
Lehane bailed us out against Tipp. Can he follow it up
Joyce to 6 and Coleman to his Natural position.
Meade in the middle
Return to form of Dara Fitz

Are you seriously championing player power?
The poster who said on here that he supported Frank 100%?

Thats about the size of it.

A complete numpty. (His alternative panel lol, )

Anyone could see the result against Waterford hinged on how tight we got defensively.

The space Limerick enjoyed and the Blaas had in the league final wasnt there. Waterford were able to goal at will last time out and we limited their space significantly.

But you have the likes of mr expert analysis blathering on about meaningless guff about intensity and totally disrespecting Kingston/O'Sullivan/Furlong/O'Grady and the others work.

Its great to be in the position we are after a poor start and lets give management credit for putting us in the position to reach an All Ireland quarter.

Realistically if we were set up for the AI final v Limerick as well as we have been set up for the last 2 games it would have been a respectable result - we wouldn’t have beaten them but we would have been respectable. We set up for that game in a way you wouldn’t set up an U10 team and we got hammered as well as exposing our full back line to potentially career ending humiliation in a national final. The three players from that full back line are still there lads and still going strong and we have added a few more young players to the mix so we are in a better place than we were last year but the judgement only starts now and if we fail to progress further as a team then this management will still have underachieved in my view because it will have taken them too long to do some things many posters on here have been saying for a long time. I sincerely hope ai am still praising them by the end of the season

Sure if we follow that to it’s logical conclusion nobody has won a match yet in the Munster championship this year, because wins against Tipp and Waterford don’t count, and clearly Cork get no credit for beating them, therefore beating Cork doesn’t count either, and Limerick v Clare was a draw so nobody has won a match and everyone is shit.

I’m old enough to remember Deiselona, because I’m more than two weeks old.

Cork were very poor in their first 2 games and very good in the second two

Which form is real?

This is totally up in the air now
Cork are highly unlikely to beat Limerick any time soon but very likely to ve able to beat Clare yet every Limerick supporter that I know thinks clare are more likely to beat them than Cork are.

At the same time they think Cork would get past us.

Kilkenny will probably win the Leinster final but Galway are far more likely to beat clare or Cork than Kilkenny are.

It's nuts

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Nora Brown and Stephanie Coleman
Coughlan's, Douglas St.

13th May 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

Jack Ahern

The Welcome Inn, Tomorrow @ 8pm

More events ▼