Cork Hurlers - Part 2

Initia thoughts

We are miles off the standard required, we have no physicality, no desire, no directness or speed to our play and it doesn’t give me any pleasure to say this, no tactical awareness on the line

How any bunch of selectors could leave Ciaran Joyce stuck left corner back for the entire game is beyond me. A simple supporter like me (and others) highlighted this since the team was announced yet our selectors just left him there?

Mark Keane, no world beater but exactly the type of player we need, and funnily enough exactly the type Waterford look for and develop, left sat on the bench looking at that ineptness up front and he gets the call with 8 minutes to go. In that 8 minutes he done more than some of them done for 70 minutes

If ye can’t tell I’m disgusted, not because we lost, but because we have drifted back to the usual mickying around with the ball with no ability or desire to actually compete for it. That first half in Limerick was an apparition, a one off apparition, we are incapable of repeating it and are doomed for the year

One other thing, put your money on Waterford for the all ireland, a real team with real options and a ruthless manager who knows exactly what he wants
You're language is too strong but that's going to happen shortly after a bad loss. worrying thing is that we conceded two goals in the first half, go in at half time and try to fix it, and then the same again in the second. That's a systems failure and shouldn't be happening.

I know the DOL situation messed things up during the week but still, we should be better than conceding two goals the same way in each half.

Waterford deserve credit obviously. Their forwards are lethal and are coming into form at the right time whereas we have as many questions now as we had before the league.

Can agree to an extent on those points but not on Keane. He didn't know what to do when he came on, a ball was hit to him and he didn't know to use his hand or hurley to take it and missed it completely. I can't see how he'll even be in the 26 on Easter Sunday
I feel sorry for the kid at this stage, what is the point of him being there if doesn't get a fair crack. Something had to be changed at half time as our "gameplan" was in the horrors. I assume they see him as a plan b and surely the second half was the time to try it, how are we to know if he is gonna sink or swim otherwise.

Some of the lads tonight fought really hard and we kept clawing our way back into the game over and over again but as soon as we got a sniff, Waterford slit our defence open or we were conceding stupid frees undoing all the good work.

Can agree to an extent on those points but not on Keane. He didn't know what to do when he came on, a ball was hit to him and he didn't know to use his hand or hurley to take it and missed it completely. I can't see how he'll even be in the 26 on Easter Sunday
Well said. Keane might need more time in general but to me he looks like a guy well out his depth at this level of hurling. Size, he has. Hurling, he does not. At this stage he is almost a token inclusion on the 26 taking the spot of a better hurler.

This. Not being able to control that ball said enough for me. Maybe next year for him.
That's not his fault either. He's nothing done compared to others. It will take time.
The sharpness of hurling needed tonight was serious, even players who are hurling non stop at county level for last 5/6 years found it difficult at times. Too much expected too soon from Keane, he's built a bit of a name that's putting too much focus on him. Not easy on the lad to be honest

thing is we scored more than 20 goals in the leauge last year it seemed we were going for the kill at every good chance ...now it looks like we are back to the easy point option. very disappointing result . Hope all the management and players will learn from the loss in another final making the top 3 in Munster will be cut throat but who knows maybe we will learn more from tonight than if we had won ....

thing is we scored more than 20 goals in the leauge last year it seemed we were going for the kill at every good chance ...now it looks like we are back to the easy point option. very disappointing result . Hope all the management and players will learn from the loss in another final making the top 3 in Munster will be cut throat but who knows maybe we will learn more from tonight than if we had won ....
The difference is teams have got a chance to figure us out in a year and realise a few tactical fouls while clogging the middle stops the short game from progressing high up the pitch.

We need a tad more variation in our game. Often Horgan was inside near goal 1v1 tonight but he’s not the best man to be exposing to a situation like that as the legs are slowing but going a bit more direct to someone like O’Connor or Connolly might stop teams from pressing so high on our short game. Keeps them honest.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Linda Fredriksson Juniper
Triskel Arts Centre, Tobin St.

14th Jun 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

Fireside Folk

The Welcome Inn, Tomorrow @ 9:30pm

More events ▼