Cork Hurlers - Part 2

Sick as a dog driving home after that. Miraculous that was a 6 point loss.

Joyce being kept in the full back line all night did my head in. Defence was carved open by some average enough forwards.

The touch tonight was horrific. So unlike Cork to be so sloppy in possession.

Barrett is a brilliant player. Once the game slows down for him with experience he'll be immense.

Few decent performances but a lot of it felt like one step forward, two steps back.

Overall it was a decent league and there's so much more from this team to give. Hon Cork.
I see where you are coming from for me, the two objectives should be to win it or at the very least have a settled team for the first round of the championship, as it stands tonight we have neither. Look at what we know and is obvious for the Limerick game.
Collins
SOD
TOM
COLEMAN
MELLIRICK
FITZ
ROF
BARRETT
HOGGY ?

For me Joyce and Lehane start as well, I just don't know where they will pick them.

1. P. Collins

2. SO'Donoghue
3. Daire O'Leary
4. Ger mellerick

5. T o'mahony
6. C Joyce
7. R Downey

8. M Coleman
9. D fitzgibbon

10. Robbie O'Flynn
11. S Harnedy
12. C lehane

13. S Kingston
14. P Horgan
15. S Barrett

If I'd to pick it after tonight that would be my team vs Limerick
Why has Niall O’Leary fallen out of favour all of a sudden? He’s definitely in our best 6 backs without a doubt IMO.

I’d like to see Hoggy named inside but playing a deeper role to to involve him in the play more. Use speed closer to goal then.

I don’t think, and I know I’m repeating myself, Patrick Collins should be a lock in for number 1. He has a load to prove and currently not proving it but I am aware the alternatives are highly inexperienced.

I see where you are coming from for me, the two objectives should be to win it or at the very least have a settled team for the first round of the championship, as it stands tonight we have neither. Look at what we know and is obvious for the Limerick game.
Collins
SOD
TOM
COLEMAN
MELLIRICK
FITZ
ROF
BARRETT
HOGGY ?

For me Joyce and Lehane star as well, I just don't know where they will pick them.

Yeah I get what you mean. Limerick performance was outstanding, the recovery against Kilkenny was brilliant and a few players like Joyce and Barrett nailed their names onto the team sheet but the rest wasn't too inspiring. I couldn't attempt a team at this hour of the evening but the fact that we again haven't a nailed down team is worrying, especially where we put our most important players.

Hopefully the rumours of Pat Mulcahy taking over from Kingston as manager are true and can't come soon enough.
Kingston & The Rock have had long enough with this team and we still have big problems in big pressure games.

Is Donal O'Grady still part of the management

Well said. Keane might need more time in general but to me he looks like a guy well out his depth at this level of hurling. Size, he has. Hurling, he does not. At this stage he is almost a token inclusion on the 26 taking the spot of a better hurler.
Well out of his depth? He’s in good company after tonight’s showing so

R&B
Look it was a bad performance but now we learned especially last 2 games that teams will occupy Coleman now and it’s not working. I think we are lucky to find this now and reaction should be Joyce 6 immediately and Coleman moving to middle with Fitz. Millerick is not a midfielder and 4 imo is his best place.
I thought Downey and TOM were physical and then we would have a real solid half back line which we all know is a platform for any good side.
I would definitely play DOL at 3 if fit . And SOD is getting better and better imo.
I really like Barrett at 11 and Harnedy will not hit wides like that again. ROF needs to get into the game more especially early in game .
I ain’t that concerned about our forwards as much as I am concerned about over playing the balll to much and carrying into unnecessary contact.
Disappointing evening and Congratulations Waterford 👋👋
But few small tweaks and we will be fine and Munster is the way forward.
Rebels Abu
But we don’t learn fin, that’s the real problem

It’ll take more than a few small tweaks to get us out of Munster never mind look beyond that

Hugely disappointing. Flat and careless are the words I'd use to describe that performance.

Thought some guys worked their socks off. Tim was immense. Really stood up to be counted. O Flynn, Barrett and Kingston others that came out and died with the boots on. Barrett a little green at times but that's inexperience for you.

As mentioned by Thistlecrack above our touch was horrendous. I couldn't get over how bad it was. Passes going to feet, missed pick ups, terrible wides. Cork looked on a downer after the excitement of last Saturday night. I don't put all that down to Waterford pressure either, I thought some of our lads looked completely tuned out. Also felt Waterford got some of their frees very handy.

The crux of all our issues for me continues to be our center back and midfield pairing. Center back has always been and remains to this day the most pivotal position on the pitch in a game of hurling. A center back needs to be able to hurl, to be good in the air, to start attacks, and most importantly be able to read danger and defend. Plain and simply Mark Coleman can't read danger signs and can't defend. He's a midfielder or a center forward in my opinion.

I'd be fuming tonight if I was playing in that full backline behind him. Not once was he there to cover them when needed and left the center wide open again. People roaring at Cahalane or O Donaghue or Joyce then but what are they supposed to do when there's 2 or 3 attackers running straight at them.

What is Ger Millericks role out midfield? He's not a midfielder. Waterford left him have the ball on numerous occasions and doubled up on Fitzgibbon instead. Millerick looked lost in position. Would management ever just cop on. Put Millerick back in the backline, preferably corner back. Move Joyce to center back and move Coleman to midfield. It won't solve all our issues but christ it'll make our team more balanced anyway.

I've been unconvinced by Kingston as manger since day 1. I remain so. Tactically again tonight we were a shambles. We played so deep on their puck outs. All well and good conceding opposition short puckouts, but letting the receiver run to their 45 unchallenged completely defeats the purpose of flooding back then. If we are playing deep on puckouts we need to push up the second the ball leaves the keepers hurley otherwise it doesn't work. That's the most basic o puckout strategies.

The All Ireland is between Waterford and Limerick. We're best of the rest and yet to show on a big day we can catch either of them.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Best Of Cork Special
City Limits, Coburg St.

25th May 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

Kidnapped (NC)

Triskel Arts Centre, Tomorrow @ 5:30pm

More events ▼