Cork Hurlers - Part 2

JOC presents more of a threat than Hoggy. What’s the point in him getting Man of match against Waterford in league, only to be dropped for championship. Picking 3 players over and over again, who are obviously way past their prime is a recipe for continued failure. Added to that, JOC very rarely hits a shot wide, and has brought physicality to his game in recent years. The wides from Lehane and Hoggy last Sunday were atrocious!

I hope I am wrong but my worry is that Twomey will be the sacrifical lamb for his first half performance, where he was no worse than probably another half dozen.
I think we all know the type of player Twomey , a big strong man who can win ball, not blessed with pace but if he gets going he is hard to stop.

He really had very few opportunities on Sunday to do anything at all.
His team mates centainly didnt give him a easy pass or two to get him into the game.

Everybody should get picked on merit, age should not be a factor when someone is playing well , but if players are not performing then it needs to be asked if it could be a factor
Did Conor Lehane deserve to start based on form ? , the age thing is a distraction. Conor Lehane is not particularly old but has not played well for the last two or three seasons imo.
I posted after the Wexford game that for the first time I saw age catching up with Patrick Horgan , it was more obvious again after last Sunday.
I thought Harnedy was not bad on Sunday and for me would start next Sunday... the only one of the three.
I think for Patrick Horgan it is an age thing, the burst of pace to get that extra yard of space seems not be there .
Agree with all of that bar Harnedy. Calum Lyons cleaned him out and was one of the most dominant players on the field. Harnedy hit bad wides, as he has been doing for a good few seasons now. He has lost more in the legs than either Lehane or Horgan. He picked up a couple of of loose points (as he did against Limerick last year) where another cork player has made a half break and drawn a few defenders. He's a full on Cork hurling legend no doubt about that, but he's a bit off it lads, and has been for a while imo.

Dalton(if fit), Robbie and Tim all must start next Sunday. If management can’t see that then they’re the ones under threat. Lehane and Hoggy got 1 point from play last Sunday between them and had about 7 wides. Stats don’t lie . It’s time for change- not sentimentality.

I agree that it is not possible to control the ref but it is possible to influence him.
And this is something that we have been woefully inadequate at doing for as long as I can remember.
It is something that all the great managers and their teams in all sports have in their locker.
Have a look at cody and his “let the game flow, it’s a mans game” stuff the week of a game.
Kiely when refs were told to clamp down on the headshots a couple of years ago, Sheedy the same, all of them.
Kerry have been doing it forever, its all part of game prep.
Last Sunday we had a nervous rookie ref, first big game and we did nothing to try and influence him.
He didn’t know what to do for the black card incident so he went to Liam Gordon on the sideline who made the decision for him.
Why didn’t all the cork backs surround the ref and argue the decision? If they had would he have produced the yellow card so quickly for the sending off?
On the Daragh Fitz head shot again the cork players did nothing.
We are seen as a nice and an agreeable hurling team and have been now for a long time.
The problem with being nice and agreeable is that people will take advantage of you as they know there will be no pushback.
Owens is the ref on Sunday, a ref who like Brian Gavin has stated that he loves reffing cork games. Of course he does as we are a ref’s dream being so agreeable.
Rightly or wrongly the perception is out there that Owens gave 4 massive decisions against us last year the yielded 10 points for Limerick and put us out of the championship, can that perception be used to influence Owens on Sunday?
Will we see Pat Ryan reference it in interviews this week?
Will we see our players get in his ear on Sunday or will we let the clare players do all the roaring and shouting at him?
We saw it with the U20 against clare during the sideline incident they all piled in, no doubt the ref watching sub-consciously noted that this is not a nice and agreeable team.
Refs obviously are human too and don’t like the thought of been chased around the field and roared at.
If we had a strategy for influencing refs like all the top teams maybe last year it would have given us the one decision we neededover 3 games (an extra free in for us or a scored free not given to the opposition) that would have got us out of munster. Inches.
And yes I do also realise that we have loads of other pressing issues to address to get things right but this 'nice and agreeable tag has to go'
Fair points, influencing refs is a bigger part of the game now. Also your spot on regarding Cork players not backing each other up, Fitz gets his usual head shot and nobody helps.

Everybody should get picked on merit, age should not be a factor when someone is playing well , but if players are not performing then it needs to be asked if it could be a factor
Did Conor Lehane deserve to start based on form ? , the age thing is a distraction. Conor Lehane is not particularly old but has not played well for the last two or three seasons imo.
I posted after the Wexford game that for the first time I saw age catching up with Patrick Horgan , it was more obvious again after last Sunday.
I thought Harnedy was not bad on Sunday and for me would start next Sunday... the only one of the three.
I think for Patrick Horgan it is an age thing, the burst of pace to get that extra yard of space seems not be there .

Exactly, Brian Hurley oldest player on the pitch on Saturday for Cork footballers and best player by a long way.
Hoggie and Lehane should be dropped based on performance/form - may be down to age catching up with them but it's immaterial in terms of making the decision as to whether they start.

Likewise if either of them is dropped on Sunday but comes on and tears it up, by all means consider them for next day out, irrespective of their age.

LIsten he went down as if shot in fairness. The ref bought what he was selling. Cahalane should have cuter.
That first yellow card that Cahalane got for a fair shoulder was ludicrous. Harnedy got a similar challenge against Galway in 2022 quarter final, and the Galway player was lauded. Referees are supposed to be consistent in application of rules!

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Stand-up Comedy Club: Laura O'Mahony and Guests
The Roundy, Castle St.

4th May 2024 @ 8:30 pm
More info..
More events ▼