Cork Hurlers - Part 2

Superb post and Id agree with a lot of it. Waterford have always had some super players but have been serious underachievers. The only point I’d question is your Davy 1 Pat 0.

Davy will inevitably make changes with a few late changes. While I know he’s had a minor injury I’d be surprised if Fagen didn’t start, similarly we all saw how Leavy played in the league against us I think Davy will start him.

We are going to need a big performance from Fitz on Sunday to get out with the win in a packed middle area of a tight pitch.
Agree on Darragh, but no better buachaill. He was unreal in the fixture last in the pairc. Interesting point on Leavy - you might be right, Kieran Bennett would be the one to swap in that instance I think, with C Lyons at 5.

Re Davy 1 Pat 0 - only in relation to team selection from the respective hand that both had to play with over the last few weeks, and anticipating eachothers approach. Davy has loads of dogs to scrap it out in the middle, Montgomery and Darragh Lyons in particular are excellent in rucks and just constant tackling and harassing.

Pat and co will no doubt have a surprise or two in store also - Barrett could play anywhere, Darragh Fitz will be given license also

Very interesting reading yesterday evening, and I think all in all looking at both sides selected, its Davy 1 - Pat 0. ODT was bang on a couple of weeks back suggesting that particularly against Waterford, Coleman was a shoe-in for 7 and one of the Downeys would lose out. The reason for this of course was watching Waterford use 4 to 5 forwards at times in games, with Leavy as a 7th defender. PR anticipating a spare defender in the cork half will want that to be Mark Coleman all day long - he has the best touch for receiving the puc-out and the best passing skills also. It also lets Joyce drive on a bit, which he loves doing.

Furthermore, Eoin Downey, for all the good stuff he did during the league, he had a ropey last quarter against Waterford, Mike Kiely in particular gave him plenty problems so there's probably no surprise the way the back line has been selected. And for the posters remarding that Millerick at 5 and Rob Downey at 7 are our best wing backs - they will probably spend most of their time in that position anyway. So you might be looking at something along the lines of:

------SOD v Hutchinson----DC v Kiely------
------------------Coleman--------------------
GM v Prender----CJ v Mahony------RD v Bennett

All those Waterford forwards are fairly interchangeable - Bennett and Kevin Mahony could be in the full forward line.

Where it gets interesting is that Waterford didn't go for Leavy, assuming this is because De Burca has been going very well apparently, so what you might have is C Lyons going to centre back area, and De Burca sitting in front of the full back line.

SH v D Lyons------CL v C Lyons------ST v K Bennett
---------------------De Burca------------------------
---------PH vs Prunty--------AC vs M Fitz-----------

With Iarlaith Daly following Barrett out around the middle. However, I think you'll definitely see Waterford going conventional here, at least for a period of the game. They have all of their top defenders back fit so will have more confidence of not needing the 7th defender, and in that situation I think Pat might be a little bit out-thought. Calum Lyons is one of the most under-rated hurlers in the country and he could do a lot of damage in the air against Coleman if he stays put at 10.

Looking at our selection vs our last championship game, we've brought in TOC instead of Meade (positive), Barrett instead of Kingston (positive), Coleman instead of NOL (positive)... but Twomey and CL instead of Dalton and TOM (not sure that's positive).

The Lehane selection was obvious from the league selections and I actually think he'll do grand on Sunday - he'll settle quickly, get on ball and he's an accurate shooter. I think there is definitely horses for courses happening here, and hopefully we get to see a few more dogs into that middle third over the next couple of weeks - Roche, TOM are key guys in this regard still.

I'm a little worried I have to say but we have a much stronger bench than Waterford. The fitzgeralds are decent and Fagan of course but they've very little after that... Sean Walsh got a few flukey goals in the league - he wouldn't be considered much of a hurler in waterford. We've ROF, ED, Hayes, TOM etc. - they can all make a big impact, and might be the ones to get us over the line.
Great post. It’s posts like this that I come here for.

Do you think he should be on Hegarty .
Getting ahead of ourselves here, Hegarthy will be on the other side of the country this Sunday. When it does come to pass, if all fit and available I'd imagine Downey will pick up Hegarthy and Coleman will most likely find himself on Tom Morrisey, and I'd be comfortable enough with that.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Tom Ward
Cyprus Avenue, Caroline St.

1st Nov 2024 @ 7:00 pm
More info..

Thursday Tours

Crawford Art Gallery, Today @ 6:30pm

More events ▼