Cork Hurlers - Part 2

Ursula Jacob on Sunday Game was very complimentary on Cork, on their Wexford performance especially Connolly and rolls-Royce Joyce! We’re coming in under the radar, most are predicting Limerick, Clare and Tipperary to advance from Munster, but this Cork team isn’t going down easily. No way!

Now that thoughts turn to championship, the Waterford game makes me a bit uneasy. This is a serious game for both sides, but for Waterford it's monumental. They're going to come with guns blazing at a level that's seldom seen. We have enough to beat them, but only if we can match their hunger - and given what they're fighting for - that won't be as easy as some might imagine.

Waterford game is HUGE you need to start on a winning note ...i feel if we do we can have a long season but Waterford s backs are to the wall and that makes any team very dangerous ...Its about to start the Munster Senior Hurling Championship in my opinion the GREATEST sporting competition in the year ...maybe only matched by the Rugby 6 Nations !

Now that thoughts turn to championship, the Waterford game makes me a bit uneasy. This is a serious game for both sides, but for Waterford it's monumental. They're going to come with guns blazing at a level that's seldom seen. We have enough to beat them, but only if we can match their hunger - and given what they're fighting for - that won't be as easy as some might imagine.
It’s good that we’re out of the league, we’re looking good, and can focus on Waterford game. Injury concerns to Coleman and ROF should be alleviated by then.Games will come thick and fast, and we have the panel to do well. Waterford will bring massive intensity, and will have Walsh Park as a cauldron, but Ryan will have the team primed.

Waterford game is HUGE you need to start on a winning note ...i feel if we do we can have a long season but Waterford s backs are to the wall and that makes any team very dangerous ...Its about to start the Munster Senior Hurling Championship in my opinion the GREATEST sporting competition in the year ...maybe only matched by the Rugby 6 Nations !
Well said Cork1990, the Munster Hurling Championship is special alright. In my biased eyes, the Rugby 6 Nations or other sports dont come anyway close to it.

I cannot wait to support Cork every season but it this year, with young guns like Joyce and Connelly in form, its very exciting.

It is hard to know what is the best preparation for championship.
Undoubtedly another game would have been useful but I think this way we disappearing back into the long grass and to be honest I don't think any of us know what to expect.
Fcuk it, i’ll give you a prediction!

1. Cork
I think we will catch fire, I just think everything is coming together nicely and our fixtures suit us.

2. Limerick
Will lose a game or two this year but will do enough to make the munster final knowing theyre building for better days.

3. Tipperary
The favourites to take down limerick for me but i don’t think that will suit them, they’ll start the championship as the form team after winning the league but then quickly burn out as cahill’s specialty.

4. Clare
Aging players, I think they will lose the faith and lose closely contested games to shave going him early, akin to us in 2023.

5. Waterford
The obvious choice for the wooden spoon even though I think they are a better team than some give them credit it for, I can’t see it being a good summer from them.. but I do think they could pick up a win somewhere.

Limerick to beat cork in the munster final as they start to kick into gear, after that I haven’t a clue.

Well said Cork1990, the Munster Hurling Championship is special alright. In my biased eyes, the Rugby 6 Nations or other sports dont come anyway close to it.

I cannot wait to support Cork every season but it this year, with young guns like Joyce and Connelly in form, its very exciting.
Yeah, I'm biased too but this year's six nations certainly wouldn't hold a candle to munster Championship. All over effectively before the last round of matches, poor affair.

With the league done and dusted I think it’s a good time to take stock of where we are at.

It was a mixed campaign with some poor performances at the beginning against Clare and the first half against KK. We were decent for a large spell of the Waterford game but could have left it behind in the end. It’s hard to say much about Offaly and Wexford as they were both so poor. Anyway it’s job done as they have secured top tier for next year.

Looking to the championship we have a lot of positives, The back line looks nailed down and solid, defensively I think it’s the best shape we’ve been in along time.

The young lads like TOC, Sean Twomey, Brian Roche, Brian Hayes have made a very positive impact on the team and will keep getting better. Alan Connelly looks a real handful this year, he’s big, fast, aggressive and has the instinct for goal, Could be our star man going forward, Playing an inside 2 of him and ROF could be devastating if they click into gear for the championship.

The half forward line looks stacked with physical lads that will get stuck in something we’ve all been crying for years.

On the negitive side choosing a midfield pair needs to be locked in asap as I don’t feel they have got the balance right yet. Also injuries to ROF and MC were very disappointing, hopefully they can find form along with Fitz asap.

I personally feel we are in a good position for the championship and are bubbling along nicely but there still is a lot of work to do.

Last edited:
Speculation will surely turn to what players will make the Championship panel. There’s probably a few players who didn’t get a chance to get a place.

Only change if make to the team versus Wexford would be to start Tim midfield and move Fitzy to the half forward line. Toss up then between Hayes and Harnedy depending on who’s going best in training.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Sabrina Dinan
The Richmond Revival, College Road, Fermoy, Co. Cork, P61 T292

26th Oct 2024 @ 7:00 pm
More info..

Stand-up Comedy Club: Best Of Irish Comedy

The Roundy, Tomorrow @ 8:30pm

More events ▼