Cork Hurlers - Part 2

Earlier this week a poster actually said Hoggie could play for another 10 years for Cork. There’s been some fairly ridiculous comments made by those in defence of Hoggie too.

He’ll probably start come championship anyway so why start him in every league game? Maybe Pat Ryan is afraid of doing so? Previous manager shipped massive criticism from some for dropping him. The knife was twisted after he left too.
Bizarre, players like Lehane and Horgan in their 30s starting leagues match after league match.

Normally these lads would be given January and February off and eased back in at the end of the league.

According to PR, we're not even taking it seriously this year.

The Clare senior medals are eleven years old,
If you are talking about underage medals as a base to build a team from them I don't think there is any county even close to Cork.
It would be hard to match three under 20's in a four year period and an under 20 team in 2024 that would be rated as high as any other county.
There is no guarantee that any player will make the transition from under age to senior but every county faces that problem.

There are 7 players starting tomorrow with under 20 All Ireland in recent years. In addition B. Roche, E. Roche, E. Downey, S Twomey, Conor OCallaghan, Eoin Carey and Michael Mullins have played in earlier league games , Alan Connolly has made the bench for the first time tomorrow who is joined on the bench by Robbie Cotter.
Ben Cunningham is still recovering from injury.
I think it lays to rest the suggestion that more experienced players should be moved aside to play more of the young crop.
In any event the best way to introduce young players to a team is to have them surrounded with experience to help them settle and learn.

That is serious level of youth on the panel and it is equally true of Clare as it is of Cork that their experienced players will probably not be there in 3 years either.

I really don't think PR and his team are doing much wrong atm.
We’ve a lot of young players no doubt. Very few forwards being given a chance though. Twomey has gotten a chance this year. As you say Cunningham is injured. Robbie Cotter on the bench every week, if he’s good enough give him a chance and if he’s not then why is he there?

I just think the league is the place for giving lads a chance. Having Hoggie and Lehane start every game is denying the likes of Cotter his chance.

Bizarre, players like Lehane and Horgan in their 30s starting leagues match after league match.

Normally these lads would be given January and February off and eased back in at the end of the league.

It’s hilarious, we’re not taking it serious as we want to be right for championship yet lehane, Kingston and Horgan start every game and when one doesn’t he’s replace by harnedy…..anyway if we keep not taking the league seriously like we have done for ever it will pay off at some stage I’m sure

I’ll be destroyed for saying this here but fuck it.

I know of many a lad on the panel over the years who will tell me the same thing. Hoggys attitude is shit when he’s not in the team, rattler comes out of the pram. I reckon PR is trying to keep him sweet.
You’re right you’ll be destroyed for saying it. But you’re right. His interview with the Echo last year showed it. Kingston had the balls to drop him in 2017 in the league and he was better for it come championship. He dropped him again in 2022 when his form had dropped significantly.

My only concern with that team named would be Lehane at centre forward, playing three games in that position in the league would indicate the mgmt are considering him as a cf option when a player like Barrett should be given the chance imo. Although Barrett could still play there tomorrow. In reality, PR probably has DF in mind as a center-forward much like he did last year

To be fair, Lehane has had good and bad days the last two or three championships - like most inter-county hurlers. The allegation that he was a league player was true, up until 2021 or so. He has definitely put in a few decent championship shifts over the past few years. Playing him and Hoggy in every game is definitely a strange decision. Maybe it has something to do with putting a bit of experience next to the young guys? My guess is that Hoggy will not start too many championship games this year. Still an outstanding player, but probably more suited to a tiring marker.

I'm a big fan of Robbie Cotter. He and Paudie Power (Blarney) were stand out forwards at club level the past two years. But Cotter isn't quite bulky enough for this level yet. I suspect he's being broken in slowly with an eye to 2025. I think we'll see him for a while tomorrow.

It's not going to be easy to go and get a win in Walsh Park when we need to. So tomorrow's outing is probably all about learning something, without Davey learning much at all. We're going to see a lot of players playing roles that they won't be come championship.

To be fair, Lehane has had good and bad days the last two or three championships - like most inter-county hurlers. The allegation that he was a league player was true, up until 2021 or so. He has definitely put in a few decent championship shifts over the past few years. Playing him and Hoggy in every game is definitely a strange decision. Maybe it has something to do with putting a bit of experience next to the young guys? My guess is that Hoggy will not start too many championship games this year. Still an outstanding player, but probably more suited to a tiring marker.

I'm a big fan of Robbie Cotter. He and Paudie Power (Blarney) were stand out forwards at club level the past two years. But Cotter isn't quite bulky enough for this level yet. I suspect he's being broken in slowly with an eye to 2025. I think we'll see him for a while tomorrow.

It's not going to be easy to go and get a win in Walsh Park when we need to. So tomorrow's outing is probably all about learning something, without Davey learning much at all. We're going to see a lot of players playing roles that they won't be come championship.
I would've preferred Cotter over Jack O'Connor

I don’t think it really is bizzare shanks, given the calendar all these younger players are battling between college games and cork. You have to manage the squad in some capacity like management have been doing rotating the young players in and out. Not fair to be asking lads to play twice a week and be burnt out come summer.

As for the debate around Hoggie / Lehane/ Kingston, many of the so called alternatives have been struggling with injury. Dalton, O’Mahony, Power, Connolly, Cunningham, Fitz have all missed games this season. Even our bench tomorrow looks light enough when it comes to forwards in my view.

It’s a real shame the way the league games have fallen for cork this year as I imagine Pat Ryan would of liked to have the so called easier games first so he could taper form and build into championship teams. Looking at Limerick’s fixtures for example they have played Antrim, Westmeath and Dublin. Now they’ve started to reintroduce some of the key players before they play Tipp and Galway and integrate them with those who’ve impressed over the past few games. Cork won’t learn much from Offaly( one would assume) which makes that Wexford game of massive importance.

I would've preferred Cotter over Jack O'Connor
O'Connor is serious impact sub to have with his pace. I wonder if Ryan is just trying to give him back some confidence? You just feel that he's had no luck the last year or two. If something goes right for him, he could be back in business.

Cotter's one incurable weakness might be a lack of pace. Time will tell. Even if it is, he reads a game like few others and can pick out passes accordingly. He's definitely one for the future.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Open Streets: Boolaboom Busking
Cornmarket Centre, Cornmarket St.

19th May 2024 @ 1:00 pm
More info..

The Brightsides

Dwyers Of Cork, Tomorrow @ 10:30pm

More events ▼