Cork Hurlers - Part 2

Marks positioning will be very interesting. I felt (a bit like TOC v Clare last year) he was being exposed under high ball a few years ago and he’d be better off at 8 or 11, but the game has changed drastically since then, now wing backs are left free when the ball is on the opposite wing, which would suit Mark down to the ground. He does need to bulk up, which he has, and bring a more aggressive approach to his game

Darragh is the same, brilliant hurler and athlete but he plays on the edges of the game and can drift out of the game for long periods. I’d play him at 11
I agree with both your observations here. I’m very interested to see what time Ben Cunningham gets. For me he’s a natural replacement for Harnedy when he retires so will be good to see if he starts driving on at senior level.

I was told exactly that at a fitzgibbon cup match in mary I in 2016/7(almost sure of the yr) by a galway man mary I were playing nuig. His exact words were limerick have loads of good hurlers but none outstanding I probably agreed with him at the time.

I or none of my friends are thinking that way I think we'll be close but nothing guaranteed.
Personally I think cork are our biggest threat. I guess time will tell.
Limerick have another few years left at the top table I fear

Marks positioning will be very interesting. I felt (a bit like TOC v Clare last year) he was being exposed under high ball a few years ago and he’d be better off at 8 or 11, but the game has changed drastically since then, now wing backs are left free when the ball is on the opposite wing, which would suit Mark down to the ground. He does need to bulk up, which he has, and bring a more aggressive approach to his game

Darragh is the same, brilliant hurler and athlete but he plays on the edges of the game and can drift out of the game for long periods. But he is vital to us succeeding. I’d play him at 11
Physically we’re galaxies away from Limerick
Pity

I agree with both your observations here. I’m very interested to see what time Ben Cunningham gets. For me he’s a natural replacement for Harnedy when he retires so will be good to see if he starts driving on at senior level.
Fitzy roving at 11 with Deccie, Seamus & Tim in the half foward line with Robbie and Hoggy or Connolly inside is a salivating thought to me.

Ben C has to be given plenty of game time in the league because 1) he has it and 2) it’s the one area we lack depth is replacements at half foward. Ben could do real damage in the last 20 minutes of championship games this year and along with Diarmuid Healy are the future 10 & 12

Last edited:
That’s our problem We’ve not got any outstanding players

Horgan and Harnedy are multiple All Star recipients.
Coleman and Fitzgibbon also have All Stars.
Joyce is a two time nominee for Young Hurler of the year.

All outstanding players in my book.

In July 2018 how many Limerick players would you have considered as outstanding?

Personally I know back then I would have considered none of them outstanding at that time. Possibly Seamus Hickey but his best days were gone by then. They were an up and coming team that possibly had a decent future ahead of them. But then again so did the Limerick team of the early noughties.

Cork are somewhere similar now. We have a good conveyor belt of talent coming through. Up to Pat Ryan and Co to harness it. Hope they learned from last year, went toe to toe v Limerick in the Gaelic Grounds and beaten on the day by a point, no disgrace in that. The day in Ennis cost us getting out of the group last year in my opinon. Felt the management fouled up that day. But good managers learn from mistakes so we see what Pat Ryan is made of this year.

Horgan and Harnedy are multiple All Star recipients.
Coleman and Fitzgibbon also have All Stars.
Joyce is a two time nominee for Young Hurler of the year.

All outstanding players in my book.

In July 2018 how many Limerick players would you have considered as outstanding?

Personally I know back then I would have considered none of them outstanding at that time. Possibly Seamus Hickey but his best days were gone by then. They were an up and coming team that possibly had a decent future ahead of them. But then again so did the Limerick team of the early noughties.

Cork are somewhere similar now. We have a good conveyor belt of talent coming through. Up to Pat Ryan and Co to harness it. Hope they learned from last year, went toe to toe v Limerick in the Gaelic Grounds and beaten on the day by a point, no disgrace in that. The day in Ennis cost us getting out of the group last year in my opinon. Felt the management fouled up that day. But good managers learn from mistakes so we see what Pat Ryan is made of this year.
Hopefully it’ll work out for us within 2 years
Pity Hoggie won’t be there

Think we got that balance as you good as you could get it last summer, given the players at their disposal. Clare selection was the only poor one really. Midfield did quite well against limerick, Darragh was the best player on the field in the first half. Backline were under huge pressure but did alright also. What lost the game against limerick (and parking the refereeing decisions) was the wasted opportunities from kingston, Lehane, TOM. 3 of them left 1-3 after them.

Re Midfield for ‘24 - it’s Darragh and Roche again right now. At their best they are an excellent combination. I’d like to see Coleman at 11 but he’s another option. Mullins will surely play a league game or two there and is the most physical of the 4. (I’ve always wanted to see SOD given a couple of games at midfield but don’t that’s unlikely unfortunately).

I’d agree with others re TOC - best at midfield but he’s another ball player and our need is for a lad that will win tackles and rucks. He actually had a really strong league campaign in ‘23 but struggled in the championship, and not just against Tony Kelly, Prendergast got the better of him in the opener also - got caught in the air a lot.
Tommy ( who struggled at wingback against TKelly ) is a down-the-middle player who is not a tippy-tappy hurler or a winger so it’s either no. 6 ( which is already occupied ) or 8 or 9 for him

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Andrew Mensah - Comedy Stop Cork
Wavelength (Cyprus Ave Rooftop)

11th Oct 2024 @ 7:00 pm
More info..

Reggae Sundays with Live Band Yes i & DJ Gwada Mike

Crane Lane Theatre, Tomorrow @ 9pm

More events ▼