Cork Hurlers - Part 2

for a team of lackies they haven’t done too badly 🤣🤣🤣 - in the last 3 inter county competitions they have managed Cork teams in ie 2 x U20 AIs and Munster Senior League - they have won them all. Jesus man what do you expect and do you know what month this is by the way ?

Interesting comment from PR which ties in with what we are seeing at the moment - "We haven’t a lot done tactically, and we’ve been concentrating on effort, attitude, and physicality."
Exactly. Far far too early to be drawing any conclusions. Let’s see where we are in April. Hope we don’t treat the league too seriously. It’s a means to an end. Kilkenny were the only one of the 4 league semi finalists last year to reach All Ireland semi finals. And they are one of few who can treat both seriously. Championship is where it’s at.

Even in the Co-op league we have seen the level of physicality at the highest level that intensity will be racheted up for the league and higher again come championship.

The time for many of these younger players will come but I don't think it will be in 2023. I think that the team for this year will be similar to last year with one or at most two new faces.

I have been at three games so far this year and the talent coming through is clear but so also is the fact that many of these young players are physically not at the races yet to play championship hurling imo.

If they were all fit and ready I'd like to see a half-forward line of Hayes-Tim-Fitzy tried out in the league. Would give Dalton a run of games inside to prove himself and surround him with pace - Kingston, Jack, Connolly. Use Hoggie as impact sub in this year's league. Have him fresh for the big games. If, big if, someone could put a stamp on full back (Downey, Daire ?) I'd give Damien a run at midfield. He's big, strong, athletic and will empty the tank every day without taking a backward step to anyone. Wouldn't mind seeing Robbie O'Flynn tried there too to see how he'd get on.

Very fair and gives us an insight into what the selectors are trying to instill in the panel.

Just a couple of clarifications on my team for Limerick,

I am not saying that should be the championship team, far from it, but as Pat himself said they have to look at fellas and they will. We are a work in progress

I have chosen Damien at midfield when I could have easily picked him at 3 or 7, it’s a punt but we need a bit of experience and physicality around midfield and until Tim returns, and remember no one knows where they will play Tim, there’s no harm in looking at your options.

And talking about a work in progress, that is exactly what I see in Sean Twomey, he brings huge physicality to our foward line and will smarten up his positioning and stickwork and give us a huge option at wing foward. But we need to play him and let him develop, and let others like Lehane, Robbie etc get used to working off him

From reading the interview it looks like we could have anyone playing agsinst Limerick, all depending on how they come through the Fitzgibbon games two days earlier

Interesting comment from PR which ties in with what we are seeing at the moment - "We haven’t a lot done tactically, and we’ve been concentrating on effort, attitude, and physicality."
Love that comment… Clare set a nice template for ratcheting up progressively over the season and they showed if you can get 20 lads all on the same wavelength bursting to go through walls for eachother you’ll trouble anyone

Very fair and gives us an insight into what the selectors are trying to instill in the panel.

Just a couple of clarifications on my team for Limerick,

I am not saying that should be the championship team, far from it, but as Pat himself said they have to look at fellas and they will. We are a work in progress

I have chosen Damien at midfield when I could have easily picked him at 3 or 7, it’s a punt but we need a bit of experience and physicality around midfield and until Tim returns, and remember no one knows where they will play Tim, there’s no harm in looking at your options.

And talking about a work in progress, that is exactly what I see in Sean Twomey, he brings huge physicality to our foward line and will smarten up his positioning and stickwork and give us a huge option at wing foward. But we need to play him and let him develop, and let others like Lehane, Robbie etc get used to working off him

From reading the interview it looks like we could have anyone playing agsinst Limerick, all depending on how they come through the Fitzgibbon games two days earlier
Agreed on the Twomey strategy but I’d have hoped to see a bit more (as we have done with Hayes) in terms of quality, but hopefully it comes.

Roche, Barrett and JOC are others who should be backed with proper game time

Lads forgive my ignorance but can someone shed light on the status of a number of players? I understand injuries are an issue with most. If it is an injury when can we expect them back. I know Coleman is out till late summer at best…

Daire O’Leary
Alan Connolly
Tim O’Mahony
Shane Kingston
Shane Millerick
Darragh Fitzgibbon

I would imagine all would be heavily involved of healthy. O’Leary in particular is frustrating as he’s been out forever.

Lads forgive my ignorance but can someone shed light on the status of a number of players? I understand injuries are an issue with most. If it is an injury when can we expect them back. I know Coleman is out till late summer at best…

Daire O’Leary
Alan Connolly
Tim O’Mahony
Shane Kingston
Shane Millerick
Darragh Fitzgibbon

I would imagine all would be heavily involved of healthy. O’Leary in particular is frustrating as he’s been out forever.
Ger Millerick my apologies

Daire O’Leary
Alan Connolly
Tim O’Mahony
Shane Kingston
Shane Millerick
Darragh Fitzgibbon

Kingston picked up groin injury in match v Kerry. Expected to be back for round 2 of league.
Fitzgibbon carrying a shoulder injury - should be back in next few weeks too.
Ger Millerick missed last UCC game - not sure if just a knock or out for longer.

Connolly going to miss full league campaign - hopefully back for start of c'ship.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Tombstome presents: Darsombra plus guest Magic Pockets
Coughlan's, Douglas St.

30th May 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

Jan McCullough: Night Class

Crawford Art Gallery, Tomorrow @ 10am

More events ▼