Cork Footballers

Perspective needed ffs - they have beaten the 2 relegated teams and a team who had nothing to play for in the last 10 minutes. They deserve credit but this team is what it is - an average middle of the road division 2 team.
Beat Armagh and they are guaranteed Sam Maguire football otherwise a couple of poor results could upset that also
To be fair I think most people on here have a good perspective of where we are in the football. There are some on our hurling thread that have zero perspective though.
I agree with you that we are mid table Div 2 side. And for me that’s the very reason why it’s ok to take delight in these recent wins after such a tough start to the league. The wins give us Cork supporters our annual springtime shot of hope that Cork footballers might progress in the championship.
The game against Armagh is important as it will show whether we have improved enough.

I was very optimistic about this sides potential after last season. We came good late on in the league and did very well in the championship, beating Roscommon and Mayo. We probably would have beaten Kerry too but for a disgraceful penalty decision by David Gough. If we had beaten Kerry, we would have had an extra weeks break and that would have been ideal.

I felt that we just needed our forward line to be more clinical - we weren't far off Derry but missed scores at vital times.

It looked as if all the good work was undone this season but the injury time goal by Shanley changed everything. It could be one of the most important scores in recent times.

Now our forwards are clicking - BOD, Chris Og and Corbett are much more effective this season and we are getting contributions from Cronin and Sherlock also.

Another good run in the championship would be a major help in the development
No we wouldn't have.

Plus it was a penalty.

I see Jack and Dave having a good laugh with each other at the Kerry Roscommon match today.

Grist to the mill for the conspiracy theorists here.

What results need to go wrong for us to not be in championship? Armagh are up so unlikely to send a full team out but still be tough to beat.
In the league pecking order at present we are 4th in Div 2 so 12th overall, a loss v Armagh could see Louth and/or Meath go above us so that drops us to 14th at worst. Meath are guaranteed Sam status this year so it doesnt matter whether we finish above them or not. If we are 14th then three teams that finish below us in the league would have to reach a provincial final to push us down to 17th. One, in Munster, is guaranteed to do so. Leinster is also a possibilty with Kildare and Westmeath in the weaker half of the draw avoiding Dublin and Meath. In Ulster, Down will have a chance of reaching an Ulster final-they will probably be playing Armagh in the semifinal with Derry, Tyrone, Donegal and Cavan all in the other half. In Connacht it is either Sligo or Leitrim would have to beat Galway. So a lot of results would need to happen. I dont know if it would be better for team building/blooding younger guys to be in the Tailteann. Last year we squeezed in and then had a good campaign v Kerry, Mayo, Louth and Roscommon and Derry but I wonder did it help the team move in the right direction. Meath, on the other hand, won the Tailteann and I am not sure it did them any good. You would think it would be more beneficial to be playing against better opposition.

Go all out vs Armagh and finish the league with momentum and finish third in division 2 which is something after the start they had. Guarantee Sam Maguire football where we are guaranteed at least 3 good games which will be 10x better for development then playing Waterford/ Wicklow/london/offaly in the tailteann cup. Despite ourselves we have a decent squad with an ability to compete at least with most teams and should aim to do so

No need to fear Kerry , guys should be ready to have a right cut off them below
Exactly bar the Clifford's and O Shea they are an ordinary outfit as Kerry teams go...plus we've the advantage of going in as underdogs which has always suited us..we always give the supposed better teams a great game and unless we get Gough or Dublin Joe reffing that game we will have a chance...particularly as Kerrys defence isn't exactly watertight

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
King K
Clancys, 15-16 Princes St.

3rd May 2024 @ 10pm
More info..

Jan McCullough: Night Class

Crawford Art Gallery, Today @ 10am

More events ▼