Cork Footballers

I don't ever remember such a negative approach as we saw from Louth today.

They didn't want to tackle until we got near the scoring zone

At one stage, we just kept passing around midfield and still they refused to engage us.

I can't imagine Louth supporters can be happy with this puke football

At one stage, we just kept passing around midfield and still they refused to engage us.

Micky Harte Failed Louth today. We, Cork, as most have said here, are no great shakes for a list of reasons ( i'm happy with the new mgmt, just no more INJURIES Please...) If louth were braver, took risks, went for it, they could have had a much closer game. No young kid playing football wants to play that 15 man beyond the ball crap. Its basketball on a GAA field FFS. Pathetic tactics from Harte, rant over.

Im thrilled for Cork and the new mgmt team, lets keep going and have a right cut off the team up next, whoever it is.

Going forward if Cork play against blanket defense, at times, we need to get our best shooters in position for long range shoots. IMO this is O'Mahony ( serious long range points against Kerry)

I sat behind the Cork bench. It's very difficult to play in the half forward in this cork setup. They are coached to play behind our half backs defending and the make a 70 m dash forward when cork win back the ball.Also they are frowned upon if they attempt a 35m+ kick point attempt. Eoin McSweeney had a good attempt in the first half and went wide.Management weren't happy about it. I think our half back line are the key to us getting scores.
I was at the 45 on the city side for the first half. Cleary was very agitated alright, was heaping pressure on the linesman. No harm i suppose. is he normally like that?

The echo called the crowd cheering the passes in the second half derisory. I thought it was good natured enough and aimed at Louth.

That 10 minute spell in the second half around the time hurley got his goal, it was they remembered they didn't have to play louth's way and went fast on the break they could have had a few more.

Can't understand lads looking for Limerick. What good is it getting to a QF against a provincial champ having beaten two promoted division 3 sides? Not that we can expect to roll past them, but it's another hiding to nothing where the team get little credit if they win and torn to shreds if they lose.

If we're going to face a division 1 side, better it be next week. Kildare could be vulnerable as most Leinster sides are after a Dublin battering. We should be able to compete with the Rossies, but nothing to suggest we've closed the gap sufficiently since league. Donegal are not quite Kerry, but would almost certainly overpower us.

This was a new low for me today. To have uncontested kick outs, be they 10 yards or 65 yards, in football is a joke. Each time Cork had a kick out( bar the last 5 minutes) the entire Louth team would simply retreat to inside their own 45 and wait. It made for horrendous and unnatural viewing. It’s very hard to breakdown this 3 blocks of 5 from 40 yards out. If this style continues and other teams adopt it, that’s the end of Gaelic football as we know it.

I agree jukka, a game against one of Donegal/Kildare/Roscommon would be very interesting to see where we are, each of those would be favourites but none of them are a top 4 team and have their own vulnerability.
We have demonstrated that we can beat teams at our level in the league and today so let’s see if they can move to another level. Donegal would probably be the toughest test of those 3.
I think we have shown we have a structure and can score while our defence excepting the mistake for the second Louth goal is fairly solid

Agree with a lot of what has been said here. Louth first and foremost destroyed the game with their approach, the sooner we see the end of that BS the better for the game, before rules have to be tweaked further.

The worst thing was, when they actually pushed up on the kickouts at 65mins, it looked like there would have been a pretty even contest.

On a day like today, can't understand why we didn't get shooters out to the 45, instead of trying to work it inside. It seemed like anyone except the FF line are coached not to shoot. Taylor had numerous decent chances today and just looked for a handpass. Our HB/midfield don't realistically pose a point scoring threat from 30+ yards so it makes defending against us a whole lot easier, especially for teams setting up like Louth.

Can't remember McSweeney making one forward kick pass, not what you need from no.11. Get Powter into CF to try to break the lines, not sure we have a genuine playmaking option at 11, so playing another 10/12 isn't benefitting us at all.

Drawing Limerick will do this team no good in the long run.

It was worse than anything Donegal did under Mcguinness. .. we should have justl kept passing around our half back line

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Cornelius Patrick O' Sullivan
The Richmond Revival, College Road, Fermoy, Co. Cork, P61 T292

17th May 2024 @ 7:00 pm
More info..
More events ▼