Cork Footballers

That 99 team was bang average you could argue the toss tgat he got them as far as he could . Corkery was sick that time he’s as much as said in Tomas o se podcast . Remember the 99 county final v Ucc he was down a few times getting air . To be fair he came back after a better player in 2000 with a structured fitness regime
I’d disagree with you. 99 team had some superb footballers and they just didn’t perform on the day and fell to a Trevor Giles gladiator like display.
On Larry as a coach , Mark O Sullivan, who had a nightmare in the ‘99 final put it all very well to The Examiner a few years back.

“O'Sullivan spoke of Cork's challenging training schedule under then Cork manager Larry Tompkins and revealed how his county career came to an end in early 2002.

"I walked into Páirc Uí Rinn and Martin Cronin from Nemo was with me," he said. "Larry handed us out an A4 sheet of paper. It was the training schedule for April and May I think of that year. I knew looking at it that my career was over.

"He went through it and in typical Larry fashion it was like, 'Okay, so we're training Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, a break Thursday, we're training Friday, Saturday, and Sunday'. And this was it for a whole month. Then he finished off with the killer line, 'I left Thursdays open so you could train with your club!' I was like, 'Ah here, now, seven days a week...'"

Corcoran told a story in his book about how one sunday morning november 1996 they were running on the beach in
Inchidoney, Up and down sand dunes, Fellas were getting sick, An english couple walking the beach asked them what team were they?
Cork gaelic football team, Ye are obviously training for a big match, Yep, When is it ? next May, Your man shook his head in disbelief,
One kick from Martin Daly rendered all the slogging in winter meaningless,

I’d disagree with you. 99 team had some superb footballers and they just didn’t perform on the day and fell to a Trevor Giles gladiator like display.
On Larry as a coach , Mark O Sullivan, who had a nightmare in the ‘99 final put it all very well to The Examiner a few years back.

“O'Sullivan spoke of Cork's challenging training schedule under then Cork manager Larry Tompkins and revealed how his county career came to an end in early 2002.

"I walked into Páirc Uí Rinn and Martin Cronin from Nemo was with me," he said. "Larry handed us out an A4 sheet of paper. It was the training schedule for April and May I think of that year. I knew looking at it that my career was over.

"He went through it and in typical Larry fashion it was like, 'Okay, so we're training Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, a break Thursday, we're training Friday, Saturday, and Sunday'. And this was it for a whole month. Then he finished off with the killer line, 'I left Thursdays open so you could train with your club!' I was like, 'Ah here, now, seven days a week...'"
Maybe they were over trained but o Sullivan got a fair few chances for cork and bar 95 he never really produced . I always think Damien o neill and Aiden Dorgan were far bigger losses personally in 99 . Dorgan was going well that time and o neill was as good as a fielder in the country . Think nemo fellas were not buying in either

Damian O Neill was probably the best club player in the County at the time and didnt feature much at the time for Larry also. Jesus thinking of it we were fairly spoilt for choice for mid fielders around Cork at the time.

Nicholas
Haulie Sullivan
Damian O Neill
Fachtna Collins
Peader Concannon
Mick Moran
Jim Donoghue
Danny Culloty
Pat Hegarthy

Im probably missing a pile but ever club nearly at the time had a toweing mid fielder who could control the game and play ball aswell.

Think Sherlock has to start against Fermanagh and Kildare at the very least. Cleary looks to be picking lads who are physically at a high level to play a system to get us to Division One standard but that obviously isn’t working. Sherlock might struggle against the Kerrys and Derrys of the world but he can do damage against teams below that level like Fermanagh and Kildare. At this stage it’s about getting scores and wins on the board to avoid relegation.

Think Sherlock has to start against Fermanagh and Kildare at the very least. Cleary looks to be picking lads who are physically at a high level to play a system to get us to Division One standard but that obviously isn’t working. Sherlock might struggle against the Kerrys and Derrys of the world but he can do damage against teams below that level like Fermanagh and Kildare. At this stage it’s about getting scores and wins on the board to avoid relegation.
Problem with Sherlock , in an actual proper team he would be effective because n actual team would accommodate his lack of pace for his kicking skills. In this team where we have Half a dozen players who CANNOT kick the ball and run up their own holes. He will be ineffective

Agree Sherlock should start. IMO Corks best forward at the moment. Thought he did ok against Derry last year and for me was the only forward, worthy of the name on that day.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Bernard Casey (Local Gossip) and Guests
City Limits, Coburg St.

14th Sep 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

Cork/Brittany maritime Residency Exhibition

Triskel Arts Centre, Tomorrow @ 1pm

More events ▼