Cork Footballers

I'd say you would struggle these days to find that sort of commitment, it's one thing t to commit to the senior panel when there is a chance you could play through the year, being part of a backup panel is a different kettle of fish, tbf to fellas, that's a huge ask.
I actually think the opposite, I think younger lads given that opportunity would be more inclined to give it a go in the knowledge that they aren't going to be thrown to the lions on the pitch before they are ready and be caused embarassment, injury etc etc.

At that time, Cork we after winning a Senior AI and were still there or there abouts, had an U21 team in an AI final backed by a lot of 19/20 year olds, momentum was there, we would have ended up with properly committed guys coming through, the group that got their by default, and too easily on the back of Cuthberts ill considered cull, turned out to be wholly unsuitable to driving it on, the best older players from that time, Kelly, O'Connor etc have subsequently said so in interviews. Easy come, easy go.

Andy Moran has directly referenced several times Mayo players turning point coming while on a Compromise Rules tour with Ireland, seeing Canty, Miskella, O'Neill etc going to gym in morning as they were arriving in from nights out.

It is going to take that type of commitment to get back to where we want.

It's time for us as a football county to poop or get off the pot.

Last edited:
Going well until the last line, the Co Board et al with great fanfare said they would put the structures in place, bottom line is they haven't, 4 yrs in no defined pathway for players once out of under age football - what are they meant to do, go and source an S&C themselves to develop their physique and fitness to inter county level, every club team in the Country trained online for the last 2 years, surely during that time someone in Cork could have seen that that was an ideal opportunity to get a development squad running away in the background full of 20/21 year olds working on themselves telling them its prep for their chance to be ready to make Senior panel this year etc, how motivating would that have been at a very tricky time for them, lads would have bitten your hand off for it - atm it seems like we are driving along College Rd pulling fellas off the street, scandalous scenario - Buckley, Herlihy, Walsh, Merrit etc are physically not ready for this level, Buckley, who kicked 10pts in last years U20 Munster Final is out injured substantially already, has missed a month now - once a proper player development structure is in place then the buck will stop with the management & players 100% - atm it's not, so it cant.

Fail to prepare, prepare to fail.
18/19 years old guys aren’t looked after by the clubs physio wise etc
Leaves a sour taste in the parents ( I’m one of them)
Ref Carrigaline when you don’t put out your strongest team you’ve lost before u start
We’d one kid on our minor team who simply wasn’t good enough ( coaches son)
Possibly cost us a championship match,
Took the place of a decent player
Coaches son is a nice kid but this shouldn’t happen at minor level for any reason
My own fella was injured badly and left to sort it himself ( physio)
Costly lesson we all learnt
Told carrigaline to feck off
Went back to soccer

Ref Carrigaline when you don’t put out your strongest team you’ve lost before u start
Coaches son is a nice kid but this shouldn’t happen at minor level for any reason
Went back to soccer
We know, you told us already. I suggest you take it up with Carrigaline instead of whinging about them here.

Went back to soccer
You need to go down the legal route with that kid.

That’s how things are done in carrigaline.

I actually think the opposite, I think younger lads given that opportunity would be more inclined to give it a go in the knowledge that they aren't going to be thrown to the lions on the pitch before they are ready and be caused embarassment, injury etc etc.

At that time, Cork we after winning a Senior AI and were still there or there abouts, had an U21 team in an AI final backed by a lot of 19/20 year olds, momentum was there, we would have ended up with properly committed guys coming through, the group that got their by default, and too easily on the back of Cuthberts ill considered cull, turned out to be wholly unsuitable to driving it on, the best older players from that time, Kelly, O'Connor etc have subsequently said so in interviews. Easy come, easy go.

Andy Moran has directly referenced several times Mayo players turning point coming while on a Compromise Rules tour with Ireland, seeing Canty, Miskella, O'Neill etc going to gym in morning as they were arriving in from nights out.

It is going to take that type of commitment to get back to where we want.

It's time for us as a football county to poop or get off the pot.
Fair enough, on the gym thing though I see few senior club players in the gym I go to most mornings. I think that is the minimum now for Senior club, I presume of lot of others do the same.

Fair enough, on the gym thing though I see few senior club players in the gym I go to most mornings. I think that is the minimum now for Senior club, I presume of lot of others do the same.
Yep, agreed - I was on about 8/9 years ago and elite lads out of intercounty Minor/U21 getting ready for the next level.

Fingers crossed for Sunday, nothing stupid at the back and we will be there of there abouts. Offalys pace will be more of an issue than power this weekend.

You need to go down the legal route with that kid.

That’s how things are done in carrigaline.

Naaaa I remember that case
Vv sad - young boy was in the middle of all that shite vv unfair
My kid made his own mind up
GAA loses unless they take care of the young in their charge

My kid wasn’t dropped but he got one bloody session with a physio( rest I paid for)
Total opposite with his UCC freshers team( soccer) anyone needing a physio gets it as long as he needs it etc
GAA way behind

Hard to know what they will do as Cork football isn't a high priority it seems but you can watch it live on the TG4 App and again
later in their deferred coverage. Top class outfit is TG4.
Thanking you boss, hopefully it will be on C103. I enjoy listening to JF Daly. If not, I'll have to follow twitter. I'll tune in to the oul TG4, best channel for sport in Ireland.
Will Ricken make any changes? I think he should stick to the same team from the last day apart from Histon (injury), a lot of chopping and changing every game.

Thanking you boss, hopefully it will be on C103. I enjoy listening to JF Daly. If not, I'll have to follow twitter. I'll tune in to the oul TG4, best channel for sport in Ireland.
Will Ricken make any changes? I think he should stick to the same team from the last day apart from Histon (injury), a lot of chopping and changing every game.
C103 can’t be bate for live GAA commentary

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Niamh Murphy & Declan Sinnott
The Richmond Revival, College Road, Fermoy, Co. Cork, P61 T292

23rd Nov 2024 @ 7:00 pm
More info..

Danny O Leary

Dwyers Of Cork, Today @ 9:30pm

More events ▼