Cork Footballers

I still think Mark White is the best goalie long kickouts more of a modern goalie all around , would love to have seen David Lowney too i know he prefers hurling but he wont make the hurling team now,

Afaik all the relevant Clonakilty players, including Clancy, were asked in, all bar Grimes said no thanks, for which he desrves massive credit imo. Obviously O'Donovan & Shanley would be in atm but for injury.

Sad to see players with loads to offer not opt in, I cant ever remember it happening on such a scale before - each to their own obviously and best of luck to them - I think the damage done over the last couple of years was seriously underestimated by all.

What's the story there?

What's the story there?
Didnt fancy it I presume, same for Michael Hurley I believe. Real pity, the Whites, Lowney, Clancy, Hurley etc would all add serious depth to this group.

Maybe it came too quickly on the back of a long club season, I dont know, it would be great if a few of them reconsidered now after a month or two off. The current mgt set up looks like a group you'd like to play for, great mix of ages and experiences, all obviously stand up guys to put themselves into what was always going to be a difficult, unattractive role.

Didnt fancy it I presume, same for Michael Hurley I believe. Real pity, the Whites, Lowney, Clancy, Hurley etc would all add serious depth to this group.

Maybe it came too quickly on the back of a long club season, I dont know, it would be great if a few of them reconsidered now after a month or two off. The current mgt set up looks like a group you'd like to play for, great mix of ages and experiences, all obviously stand up guys to put themselves into what was always going to be a difficult, unattractive role.

Erra if they're not interested leave them off.

Wouldn't be asking them back either.

Erra if they're not interested leave them off.

Wouldn't be asking them back either.
Its been a strange few years tbf for everyone - late start to 2020 club season then straight into inter county up to December, National League, Inter County c'ship, then club again all the way to December for some. All within the confines of a pandemic. It has to be a factor.

Still time imo for those lads you know would be genuine to come back in after a bit of rest.

My admiration for Brian Hurley has shot up over the last few weeks. Showing excellent maturity on the pitch for the group. It is a pity Hanlon & Liam O'Donovan are injured atm, two honest whole hearted players that would support the younger lads by their example on the pitch.

Last edited:
Its been a strange few years tbf for everyone - late start to 2020 club season then straight into inter county up to December, National League, Inter County c'ship, then club again all the way to December for some. All within the confines of a pandemic. It has to be a factor.

Still time imo for those lads you know would be genuine to come back in after a bit of rest.

My admiration for Brian Hurley has shot up over the last few weeks. Showing excellent maturity on the pitch for the group.

Yeah who knows.

If management were ok with it fair enough but if it was a straight snub I wouldn't want them in the panel.

I think it’s something we’ll start to see more often, the split season is great but for intercounty players it essentially means playing competitively for 10/11 months of the year and training year round. It’s fine if there’s a carrot of potential silverware but that’s not where Cork are at right now.

Hopefully 1/2 of those Clonakilty players return, particularly mark white who can’t be more than 23/24. It’s a pity for Clon, as if all were available they would likely have 7 guys on the panel, and 5 likely starters (2 Whites, Tom Clancy, Shanley, Liam Donovan) which would have been a unique achievement for their club.

I think Sean White could be a really top intercounty player with a bit of work. Was fucked around by McCarthy and not allowed settle in the team.

Mark seems half interested in an intercounty career, while Cancy has had a long enough to make a go of things and hasn't.

I think it’s something we’ll start to see more often, the split season is great but for intercounty players it essentially means playing competitively for 10/11 months of the year and training year round. It’s fine if there’s a carrot of potential silverware but that’s not where Cork are at right now.

Hopefully 1/2 of those Clonakilty players return, particularly mark white who can’t be more than 23/24. It’s a pity for Clon, as if all were available they would likely have 7 guys on the panel, and 5 likely starters (2 Whites, Tom Clancy, Shanley, Liam Donovan) which would have been a unique achievement for their club.
Would they? If Clon merited that representation on the senior side it's hard to imagine anyone living with them at club level.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
The Lee Sessions Trad Trail
An Spailpín Fánach, 28 South Main St., Cork

13th Jun 2024 @ 9:30 pm
More info..

DJ Ian Richards

Crane Lane Theatre, Today @ 11pm

More events ▼