Cork Footballers

The most essential overall differences that I currently see for Cork club football between the A/B/C proposals are:
  • C: Condensed 5th grade club championship with less games (no backdoor),
    and continue the situation where Cork 5th grade clubs play Kerry 3rd grade clubs in the Munster Junior Club Championship.
  • B: Run a 5th grade championship county-wide rather than on a divisional basis,
    and continue the situation where Cork 5th grade clubs play Kerry 3rd grade clubs in the Munster Junior Club Championship.
  • A: Continue with a 5th grade championship on a divisional basis,
    and have Cork 4th grade clubs play Kerry 3rd grade clubs in the Munster Junior Club Championship.
In order of most preference to least preference, my order would be: A, B, C - for the following reasons:
  1. C has less games and is too condensed.
  2. The divisions have merit in that games are nearby for supporters, and neighbour rivalries are keener.
  3. With rare exceptions, Cork have been uncompetitive in the Munster Junior Club Foorball championship. Option B isn't enough to change that. Little point in having uncompetitive teams in a competition. Option A fixes that, and the benefit-vibe spreads beyond just the clubs who win more.
  4. There are other ways to fix the Urhan situation.
Having written all of that, it may well be that my take on it will change as I learn more about the proposals and about what other people's views are and their reasons.

Shabby

I agree but Kevin Crowley played there in one of the McGrath Cup games already and various Cork management play him there a lot. His best position is at No. 5 but he's not getting any younger to do his forays up field and score. The management could also play Rory Maguire there or opt for newcomer Paudie Allen.

Regarding the full-back line as a whole it's a pity Thomas Clancy isn't involved but I'd select him corner-back. IMO Daniel O'Mahony is Cork's full-back going forward but I believe he's working in Dublin as part of his College course and not able to get back for training. In the meantime Sean Meehan will do fine full-back but is a loss to the half-back line. I think Brian Murphy should be an option for both corner and full-back but I don't know whether he's on the panel. Some folk think Kieran Histon is an.option for the No. 3 slot but I believe his lack of pace would be an issue. I believe a full-back line of Rory Maguire, Daniel O'Mahony and Thomas Clancy would be as good as the best in the country if Clancy and O'Mahony became available.

If the considerations are all about how clubs perform in the Munster championship then they would be better off renaming all the grades. If it is a case that it’s about improving the standards then option B is best for me. A couple of reasons why: Urhan are guaranteed to be involved in a competition with other teams rather than divisional champions by default. I believe the county board want to avoid this. The even split of 12 teams per grade should make for competitve games I believe the county board want to get rid of the divisions so this is another nail in their coffin

If the considerations are all about how clubs perform in the Munster championship then they would be better off renaming all the grades. If it is a case that it’s about improving the standards then option B is best for me. A couple of reasons why: Urhan are guaranteed to be involved in a competition with other teams rather than divisional champions by default. I believe the county board want to avoid this. The even split of 12 teams per grade should make for competitve games I believe the county board want to get rid of the divisions so this is another nail in their coffin
Yeah the day is coming when all adult games will be organised by the County Board and Divisional Boards will be disbanded. The same thing happened at Underage 10 years ago. There would probably still need to be a seperate Junior Board, under the auspices of the County Board running the Junior fixtures though. That is the way foward

Shabby

I agree but Kevin Crowley played there in one of the McGrath Cup games already and various Cork management play him there a lot. His best position is at No. 5 but he's not getting any younger to do his forays up field and score. The management could also play Rory Maguire there or opt for newcomer Paudie Allen.

Regarding the full-back line as a whole it's a pity Thomas Clancy isn't involved but I'd select him corner-back. IMO Daniel O'Mahony is Cork's full-back going forward but I believe he's working in Dublin as part of his College course and not able to get back for training. In the meantime Sean Meehan will do fine full-back but is a loss to the half-back line. I think Brian Murphy should be an option for both corner and full-back but I don't know whether he's on the panel. Some folk think Kieran Histon is an.option for the No. 3 slot but I believe his lack of pace would be an issue. I believe a full-back line of Rory Maguire, Daniel O'Mahony and Thomas Clancy would be as good as the best in the country if Clancy and O'Mahony became available.
I hope that explains about Daniel O Mahony looked the real deal as a full back last year missed Killarney due to injury , but seems to have gone off the radar not on the Cork panel and no game time what so ever for UCC in the Sigerson ...he surely will come good again.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
The Old Moderns
Clancys, 15-16 Princes St.

5th May 2024 @ 10:00 pm
More info..

The Cripple of Inishmaan

Cork Opera House, Today @ 8pm

More events ▼