Committee to recommend legislation for assisted dying and euthanasia

I would have concerns about people with high care needs feeling obligated to take the decision to end their own lives rather than be a burden on others. It should be possible to deal with that via a robust screening process.

Other than that, I think people should be able to die with dignity if they choose to.

If brought into law, you will see a quick slide (maybe 5 to 7 years) to situations where children and those with mental illness are euthanized (Belgium) and army veterans are offered it to address PTSD conditions (Canada - link below).

Most professionals in palliative care are strongly opposed to it. No doubt the first three-year review would examine the issue of conscientious objection in a manner similar to the abortion review. Palliative care would likely suffer accordingly.

I would have concerns about people with high care needs feeling obligated to take the decision to end their own lives rather than be a burden on others. It should be possible to deal with that via a robust screening process.

Other than that, I think people should be able to die with dignity if they choose to.
The committee has made no recommendations in relation to screening.

What if they have a non terminal illness or are depressed, should such people be given the assisted suicide option?

They have it in my neck of the woods, so I'll be grand if I get terminal lapsy pa.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-56446631

To request either, the person must:
  • suffer a "serious or incurable illness" or a "chronic or incapacitating" condition that causes "intolerable suffering"
  • be an adult Spanish national or a legal resident
  • be "fully aware and conscious" when they make the request, which has to be submitted twice in writing, 15 days apart
A doctor can reject the request if the requirements have not been met. It must be approved by a second medic and by an evaluation body.
Any medic can withdraw on grounds of "conscience" from taking part in the procedure.

If brought into law, you will see a quick slide (maybe 5 to 7 years) to situations where children and those with mental illness are euthanized (Belgium) and army veterans are offered it to address PTSD conditions (Canada - link below).

Most professionals in palliative care are strongly opposed to it. No doubt the first three-year review would examine the issue of conscientious objection in a manner similar to the abortion review. Palliative care would likely suffer accordingly.

As expected.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Damien Dempsey
Live At The Marquee, Showgrounds, Ballintemple

8th Jun 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

Dr Dec and The Side Effects

Cantys, Tomorrow @ 10pm

More events ▼