Child abuse in Scouting Ireland..

Loved the cubs/scouts and have the young-fella in the cubs now, fantastic for him. And if anything disappointed that they've slacked off on the stricter protocols, like have your black shoes polished and what not, learning to be responsible for yourself and those around you is always a valuable lesson.

And regardless of recent national controversy, there is a 2 year waiting list to get into the local troop.

I was a cub/scout as well and never saw any dodgy shit but wouldn't let my kids near it now and thats not a knee-jerk reaction to the recent media stuff - There's a 3 year wait in the local troop which is a grand excuse when they ask

I was a cub/scout as well and never saw any dodgy shit but wouldn't let my kids near it now and thats not a knee-jerk reaction to the recent media stuff - There's a 3 year wait in the local troop which is a grand excuse when they ask

I bet you'll find those cases they are talking about were more from our time than recent times. The Governance has gotten better. But no different to a sports club, if you have no priors vetting isn't worth a damn in terms of getting evil dirty bastards access to kids anywhere.

I bet you'll find those cases they are talking about were more from our time than recent times. The Governance has gotten better. But no different to a sports club, if you have no priors vetting isn't worth a damn in terms of getting evil dirty bastards access to kids anywhere.

you're probably right, but if ever there was a set-up that plays right into paedos hands it has to be cubs/scouts - shame as I was at world jamborees and had great times but couldn't relax if my kids were away like that. My uncle was the leader and I could honestly not say I ever even sensed any of the other leaders would have done any wrong, maybe if that was the situation now I'd be ok with my kids but its not.

Not surprised in the least by this at all. Just surprised it hadn't come out sooner. Any organisation or activity where adults were placed in trust over young children was open to abuse.

Hope they prosecute the perpetrators to the full extent of the law.

Personally I loved cubs and scouts but our leader in cubs was a bit of a drill sergeant!

I spent several great years in cubs and I genuinely loved it but when our group moved up into scouts there was terrible bullying by the older lads. We went away to mount melleray and we had to blockaid the doors to the sleeping quarters. Before the blockaid went up the older scouts took a sleeping kid who was having terrible nightmares and moved his mattress outside in the woods with him on it. The poor kid. The masters were drinking, I think, because there were none around. In the woods the next day the senior scouts were building s rope ladder as a part of a merit badge an whole they were on the other side of the stream I cut the ladder with an axe. I was asked to leave, the pricks.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Stand-up Comedy Club: Thursday Showcase
The Roundy, Castle St.

23rd May 2024 @ 8:30 pm
More info..

Dr Herringbone Dread

The Pav, Today @ 11pm

More events ▼