Bernard Dunne's Bród Club - sea or níl?

Cad a cheapann sibh?
http://www.rte.ie/brodclub/

Been watching the series over the last few weeks. Obviously anything designed to promote the national language is going to come under fire from all the usual clichés (no economic benefits, culturally irrelevant with globalisation, hard to learn, taught badly in schools etc) but to be fair the series certainly has a few good points and Dunne himself seems convinced he's doing the right thing. Having come from a profession that has nothing to do with the language whatsoever gives him some credibility. If it was Hector you'd apply far more cynicism.

I didn't know Dunne spoke Irish and he seems to have a very good command of it. Tá blas ó Conemara aige...b'fheidir gur chaith sé am sa Ghaeltacht. Togha le Katie Taylor chomh maith.

One thing I'm not fond of is the preachy nature of it trying to get you to sign up for a website with no apparent value. It seems now that he set his target too high at 100,000 and is currently only just over 10,000 with half the series and Seachtain na Gaeilge well over.

I understand the point they are trying to get across with the gathering of women each week who have very little Irish but that scene goes on painfully long each episode. It's bad and boring TV and critics like Liam Fay (undoubtedly Ireland's most cynical man!) will probably savage it for reasons like that.

The supposed carrot of seeing Mr. World strip if over X,000 sign up per week is fairly patronising IMO plus it seem to alienate those who are turned off by that in itself or hetrosexual men who have no interest (cough). This makes me think the producers are deliberately targeting females and not men.

The team he confides in each week seems to be heavily populated with women which might have something to do with it. Maybe the marketing 'experts' think that women are more easily won over by campaigns like this and men are less likely to try the cúpla focal.

Haven't seen it, out of the country, so can't really comment on the content. I do think however that the premise of having someone like him promote the language is a good thing. I've met BD before in Dublin at an event promoting mental health in Dublin and I thought that the idea of having a solid character like him from a working class background getting behind causes is really positive, as opposed to more intellectual types whose appeal isn't always so widespread in Ireland (another debate, we're not like France, 50 million at Sartre's funeral etc.).

A follow on from that is that I think that if the language took root in working and lower middle class urban areas and also rural areas it would have a greater chance of a revival. Large areas of Dublin, Cork, Limerick and Belfast (obviously) have been anglicised or americanised for so long now that I feel the chance of Irish taking root there is about as likely as Pres ditching rugby in Muzzers for road bowling out in Aghabullogue. Generally speaking, languages that have been revived or prospered in the face of extinction (Welsh, Finnish, Hungarian, Hebrew, Basque, Catalan, Corsican, Sicilian etc. etc. etc.) have had support from the ground up, which is what Irish is lacking.

Brón mór gan é seo a cur suas as Gaeilge, ach tá sé deacair go leor na fadaí go léir a cuir isteach 's mé fiú fós as smaoineamh ar na smaointí móra sochólaíchtúil i mo aigne agam.

I think Bernard is doing great, I don't blame people for feeling a little 'against' Irish because of they way it's introduced in school, like a form of punishment...ar aghaidh leat Bernard! :)

Haven't seen it, out of the country, so can't really comment on the content. I do think however that the premise of having someone like him promote the language is a good thing. I've met BD before in Dublin at an event promoting mental health in Dublin and I thought that the idea of having a solid character like him from a working class background getting behind causes is really positive, as opposed to more intellectual types whose appeal isn't always so widespread in Ireland (another debate, we're not like France, 50 million at Sartre's funeral etc.).

A follow on from that is that I think that if the language took root in working and lower middle class urban areas and also rural areas it would have a greater chance of a revival. Large areas of Dublin, Cork, Limerick and Belfast (obviously) have been anglicised or americanised for so long now that I feel the chance of Irish taking root there is about as likely as Pres ditching rugby in Muzzers for road bowling out in Aghabullogue. Generally speaking, languages that have been revived or prospered in the face of extinction (Welsh, Finnish, Hungarian, Hebrew, Basque, Catalan, Corsican, Sicilian etc. etc. etc.) have had support from the ground up, which is what Irish is lacking.

Brón mór gan é seo a cur suas as Gaeilge, ach tá sé deacair go leor na fadaí go léir a cuir isteach 's mé fiú fós as smaoineamh ar na smaointí móra sochólaíchtúil i mo aigne agam.

It's an enormous challenge Pheas, but I find it intriguing. The spectrum of different mind sets and opinions is hard to define because it's wrapped up in so many other aspects of Ireland from the need to feel that we are not isolating ourselves (the benefits of being English speakers are huge) to the need that we need to differentiate ourselves from others and preserve a major aspect of our culture.

Three major things I didn't appreciate before I went back to do classes and joined Gael Taca that are positives for the language were:

- There are a very large amount of Irish speakers in Cork who can conduct a fairly fluid conversation. The problem is identifying other people who speak Irish and how comfortable they are with the language (nobody wants to make anyone feel awkward).

- As the number of Irish language speakers increases the "struggle" (and I use that term apprehensively) becomes much easier. Welsh speakers often refer to the critical mass they achieved and while they aren't out of the woods they are in a better place because they are over the magic 250,000 equivalent believed to be needed to permanently sustain a minority language here. We're currently at less than half that but it's useful to bear in mind that the hill levels off and things get easier the higher we get up it.

- The Gaelgóir Taliban are a tiny minority and a laughing stock within the Irish language scene itself. These are the people who are anti pretty much everything as regards the promotion of the language and baulk when people make mistakes. Most fluent speakers are extremely accommodating and patient so people don't have to feel awkward when using what Irish they have.

Dunne's programme is unlikely to achieve its target will undoubtedly make it easier for people interested in reviving their Irish as well unveiling possible new strategies for increasing the number of speakers.

it got a fair hammering from Liam Fay in the Sunday Times yesterday. Some of it was justified, some of it was a bit harsh. It wasn't overly negative either. If I can find it online I'll throw it up.

Liam Fay is undoubtedly Ireland's most cynical man.

If he saw a charity worker giving soup to the homeless he'd describe it as hokey middle class pretentiousness.

To be fair to him he does call out some of the bollocks that RTE trump out every now and then like that spirituality programme Joe Duffy was presenting there for a while.

- The Gaelgóir Taliban are a tiny minority and a laughing stock within the Irish language scene itself. These are the people who are anti pretty much everything as regards the promotion of the language and baulk when people make mistakes. Most fluent speakers are extremely accommodating and patient so people don't have to feel awkward when using what Irish they have.

Is fíor gur mhionlach an-bheag atá sa Taliban úd, má mhaireann siad in aon chor sa lá atá inniu ann. Ach faraoir, is dream ollmhór iad i shamhlaíocht a lán daoine.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Lyra
Live At The Marquee

16th Jun 2024 @ 7:00 pm
More info..

BoolaBoom

Levis Corner House, Tomorrow @ 7:30pm

More events ▼