Bay of Naples - Sorrento - Positano

Hey

Off to Sorrento for a flying visit from Dec 26-30. Will probably go visit Positano too.

Has anyone been? Can anyone recommend any good bars or restaurants or things to do? We already have accommodation sorted at Domus Porto Salvo in Sorrento.

And how wide does one have to be in Naples? Is it reeeeally dodgy or is it just don't walk around with your wallet hanging out of your arse pocket?

Thanks

Naples is fair flipping dodgy alright. Have a game of "spot the car without dents in it" if you feel bored.

Take the bus to Positano, scooters and even cars along that road would be suicide for the inexperienced I reckon.

Can't remember the names of places too well, lost in the mists of time. Went to a very nice small family place on the south side of town, but that's about all I could tell you.

Make sure you try out the pizza in a few different resturants. It's the local speciality and magherita is really the only way the traditional Neopolitans think it should be eaten. You'll get some cracking stuff if you stick by that.

Went there in May. Stayed in Sorrento for a week. Have to say I wasn't too impressed which was aided by the shite weather we got.

Did the tourist things... Pompeii, Vesuvius and Capri. Enjoyed that.

On the upside our first child is due in February!!!!

On the upside our first child is due in February!!!!
Ha nice one!

I didn't realise pizzas come from Naples - must try a few Magheritas so. Such a short stay I don't know if there will be time to travel to many tourist things. Train down from Rome etc. Will go to Positano for definite and stroll about there - looks cool.

Ha nice one!

I didn't realise pizzas come from Naples - must try a few Magheritas so. Such a short stay I don't know if there will be time to travel to many tourist things. Train down from Rome etc. Will go to Positano for definite and stroll about there - looks cool.

I'd go to Pompeii before Positano if I were you. It's a tourist trap, sure, but for a damn good reason. Never got to go to Herculaneum (not enough time), but I wish I had as apparently it's even more imperssively preserved than Pompeii.

Amalfi is nice too, albeit small and expensive.

Hey

Off to Sorrento for a flying visit from Dec 26-30. Will probably go visit Positano too.

Has anyone been? Can anyone recommend any good bars or restaurants or things to do? We already have accommodation sorted at Domus Porto Salvo in Sorrento.

And how wide does one have to be in Naples? Is it reeeeally dodgy or is it just don't walk around with your wallet hanging out of your arse pocket?

Thanks

I've ben around there a few times, and from what I can gather, you may just bypass Naples.

You HAVE to climb Vesuvius if you're in that vicinty - amazing. At the summit, you also get a clear view of the cloud of smog that hangs over Naples.

Highly recommend you getting a tour around Pompeii.
It really is incredible.

Have only been to Sorrento once, and it was a few years ago so can't remember the names of restaurants etc., but it is an exquisitely gorgeous place, and I can't imagine you'll go far wrong with most places there.

Hey

Thanks

Hey..I just stumbled across this thread,ironically I'm an italian girl who wants to move to ireland...I live just in that area you're going to visit,my dad is from positano and we have a summer house there,so I thought I might give you some advices.
Regarding positano,avoid the restaurant on the beach,they're good but unnecessarily expensive. You can get the BEST food ( including a wonderful pizza...I recommend 'pomodorini,rucola and parmigiano' dressing ) at very affordable prices at 'La taverna del leone' Is just outside positano ( on the road that brings you to the previous small village,praiano ) you can easily get there by the bus the stops in Piazza dei Mulini. it's easy trust me. Try cakes at 'La Zagara' too,( also in Positano ) very good
If you go to Amalfi just be careful,it's very much a tourist trap. I recommend you bring with you your own water and a sandwich maybe that you can buy in a grocery either in sorrento or positano,but avoid buying stuff in Amalfi,an ice cream near the duomo can cost you about 8 euros,it's just ridiculous

Naples,I'd recommend you to visit 'San Martino' it's on the top of Naples,there is the most romantic view ever over there and 'Napoli Sotteranea' is a unique experience,a guide brings you to discover what's *under* Naples,it's not good if you suffer from claustrophobia though.
I could tell you many more things,just let me know if you want to know different things you could do over there...most of all,enjoy your time here!
Tea

Cool! You just looked up this site and saw this thread asking about your home area in Italy - how unlikely is that. Is this wummery is it m??

If you move to Ireland Cork is better than Dublin need I say. You've come to the right place to ask about Cork. Ask away about Cork - the humour here is a little odd at first but don't take anything seriously. Just act like a langer.

Thanks for all the advice - will check out some of those places like the pizza place.

We are spending 2 nights in Sorrento so will head out on the town to see what is happening. I have heard the nightlife is quiet. Are there bars and clubs and things to go to?

May go see Pompeii as everyone here has recommended it. It will all depend on how much time there is. Those catacombs under Naples sound good but to be honest I think we will get straight out to Sorrento. Maybe on the way back.

Thanks for the tips

Cool! You just looked up this site and saw this thread asking about your home area in Italy - how unlikely is that. Is this wummery is it m??If you move to Ireland Cork is better than Dublin need I say. You've come to the right place to ask about Cork. Ask away about Cork - the humour here is a little odd at first but don't take anything seriously. Just act like a langer.

you're very welcomed :) A friend of mine has lived 4 years in cork and has adored it. At the moment i've met a lovely couple from dublin ( he's a quite well known movie director ) that offered to help me find a job as a babysitter/au pair in dublin,so maybe that's a good chance for me to experiment ireland,although i'm afraid it won't be easy for me to adjust to a big city like dublin,coming from such a small southern italian town
well,it's funny i stumbled across here,i'm always looking for news about ireland and i had fun reading the forum here and there to see what it is like truly living in ireland,i've been dreaming about it since i was a kid,so...you know...
I liked reading this forum,although i must confess the english most of you guys use here is behind my understanding :oops:
what's a langer? I understand it may be a person from cork,but where does it come from? just curious

We are spending 2 nights in Sorrento so will head out on the town to see what is happening. I have heard the nightlife is quiet. Are there bars and clubs and things to go to?

there is a disco in Piazza tasso ( the main piazza in sorrento ) i've never been there cause i don't like discos,so i don't know if it is good,in piazza tasso as well there are a few nice clubs with good music. Also i recommend the bars on Punta Reginella in Positano,very nice place. I hope you will find most of the shops and stuff open because here is pretty dead in winder unfortunately :roll: . Like in summer there's a wonderful club where the floor is completely transparent and actually built on the sea,it's really good,unfortunately is closed in winter ( it's also in a kind of cave,so it would be terribly cold in winter ) you can check this site which is also available in english

http://www.positanonline.it/

Sorry for being so verbose,i suffer from logorrhoea :mrgreen:

you're very welcomed :) A friend of mine has lived 4 years in cork and has adored it. At the moment i've met a lovely couple from dublin ( he's a quite well known movie director ) that offered to help me find a job as a babysitter/au pair in dublin,so maybe that's a good chance for me to experiment ireland,although i'm afraid it won't be easy for me to adjust to a big city like dublin,coming from such a small southern italian town
well,it's funny i stumbled across here,i'm always looking for news about ireland and i had fun reading the forum here and there to see what it is like truly living in ireland,i've been dreaming about it since i was a kid,so...you know...
I liked reading this forum,although i must confess the english most of you guys use here is behind my understanding :oops:
what's a langer? I understand it may be a person from cork,but where does it come from? just curious

there is a disco in Piazza tasso ( the main piazza in sorrento ) i've never been there cause i don't like discos,so i don't know if it is good,in piazza tasso as well there are a few nice clubs with good music. Also i recommend the bars on Punta Reginella in Positano,very nice place. I hope you will find most of the shops and stuff open because here is pretty dead in winder unfortunately :roll: . Like in summer there's a wonderful club where the floor is completely transparent and actually built on the sea,it's really good,unfortunately is closed in winter ( it's also in a kind of cave,so it would be terribly cold in winter ) you can check this site which is also available in english

http://www.positanonline.it/

Sorry for being so verbose,i suffer from logorrhoea :mrgreen:

langer = cazzo. But in cork it has many idiomatic meanings, including drunk ie 'langers'.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Jackie Fabulous (Americas Got Talent) Plus Guests
City Limits, Coburg St.

5th Oct 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

DJ Sean Hardware

Crane Lane Theatre, Today @ 11pm

More events ▼