Bandon Road Flyover problem?

There was never any problem, Just some uneducated guesswork that turned into rumour. Work is flying along, SIAC Construction Ltd. expect to have the project finished early by December.

Last edited:
I'd be shocked if this were the case. The problems with various buildings in the area including an apt block knocked down 3 yrs ago after it became seriously unsafe would have been common knowledge to the designers. I presume the site investigations were extensive as a result. Coupled with the fact that geotechnical design codes use a FOS of 3 and I can't see how they could have got it so wrong.

The flyover ramp at silversprings needed a big repair job 2 years after it was built. It sank in places and needed piling

Overall they seem to be keeping traffic problems to a minimum throughout all this and must be commended for that. However, over recent weeks the traffic queues in off peak times approaching the sarsfield road roundabout have been pretty bad.

This has nothing to do with the ongoing construction or layout of the road, but the arrival of that damn road cleaner/sweeper vehicle. It's slowing down the flow of traffic by continuously driving round the roundabout.
It would be something if it was actually cleaning the road, but all it's doing when the weather is fine, is making muddy streak on the road, which is turn make your own car dirty. Even more dirt will kick up onto your vehicle when it's wet, like today. It's a real mess down there today, for drivers AND pedestrians. And all because of this bloody road ''cleaner''.

I do suspect all this is because of some idiot civil servant somewhere, sometime, that made these road ''cleaners'' mandatory for large scale infrastructure operations and that it's not really the fault of the company running the show. This is just a guess though, but i have noticed these things causing problems in the past.

Some common sense would be great.

There was never any problem, Just some uneducated guesswork that turned into rumour. Work is flying along, SIAC Construction Ltd. expect to have the project finished early by December.

Finished by December 2012? That would be great.
The estimated completion time on the site is July 2013 though they should finish well before that.

Lad i knew that did civ eng in ucc did work experience when the dual carriageway was originally laid. He said they drilled 50m of bog with no bottom there.

That stretch of road is "floating" on the bog as it is.

Your friend is correct, it was a great bog when I was young, I used to catch a lot of frogs out there.

Just going back to the apartment block which had to be demolished. O Brien and O Flynn built that park called Garrandarragh at the end of Eagle Valley back in 2004. They contracted a company called Cain White to pile and finish the foundations of that 3 storey block. A few years later that building had to be evacuated as it starting cracking in a major way. A high court case followed and Cain White lost the case as the judge felt they did not do their job correctly. However Cain White had gone out of business 2 years before this case so it was their insurers had to cough up.

Overall if there are issues here I am not at all surprised also SIAC will be delighted with the millions they will get for extras.

They are definitely doing some serious piling work at the moment to support the road.
The quote below is from one of the regular notices updating the public on the works.
They say it should be done by May so if it works as they expect it to then I don't think it will hold up the overall project.

On the southern side of the Sarsfield Road Roundabout and immediately west of the Sarsfield Road itself the ground conditions are such that driven concrete piles will be required to support the new road structure.
These piles will be 300mm square and it is expected that they will have to be driven to depths of up to 75
feet. (Attached photograph shows the piling rig which will be used for the upcoming works.) Over 200 of
these pre-cast concrete piles will be required and this element of the works will get underway immediately
after the Easter weekend. Piling works will get underway each day at around 8.00 a.m. and it is hoped to
shorten the overall piling period by taking advantage of the increasing daylight hours available.
Nevertheless it is likely that piling works will continue until mid-May 2012.

http://www.corkrdo.ie/files/N25-Sar...ndon Road Interchanges Progress Update 26.pdf

I just followed your link above and I viewed the picture of that pile driver machine. It just goes to prove one thing, if we now have to hire in contractors from France for a piling job, it says a lot about the state of the construction sector in this country.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
The Lee Sessions Trad Trail
Sin É, Coburg St

17th Jun 2024 @ 6:30 pm
More info..

A Matter Of Time

Crawford Art Gallery, Tomorrow @ 10am

More events ▼