Bandon Road Flyover problem?

Work appears to have stopped for a few weeks and there is talk of a major subsidence problem derailing the project. Has anyone else heard anything?

I'd be shocked if this were the case. The problems with various buildings in the area including an apt block knocked down 3 yrs ago after it became seriously unsafe would have been common knowledge to the designers. I presume the site investigations were extensive as a result. Coupled with the fact that geotechnical design codes use a FOS of 3 and I can't see how they could have got it so wrong.

I was wondering what all the augur drilling gear was doing there for the last few months, in areas which are not being piled.

It would not be the first time that borehole data was misleading.

This is a problem that will cost a fortune to sort out - instead of backfilling the ramps, it may finish up being piled.

Ugly and very expensive to sort out mid-contract.

Lad i knew that did civ eng in ucc did work experience when the dual carriageway was originally laid. He said they drilled 50m of bog with no bottom there.

That stretch of road is "floating" on the bog as it is.

Lad i knew that did civ eng in ucc did work experience when the dual carriageway was originally laid. He said they drilled 50m of bog with no bottom there.

That stretch of road is "floating" on the bog as it is.

I don't know why some Irish entrepreneur doesn't design wee hovercrafts instead of cars for Ireland .With all the bogs and loughs you could zoom any fechin place you like and no road maintenance."frick the flyover, I'm hovering up the Lee to do some shopping in town"

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Tom Odell
Live At The Marquee

25th Jun 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..
More events ▼