Abortion law/US..

I remember meeting Judge Patwell a few times, he never told me if he was a Conservative or the other side and I believe he was neither. Strange country is America.
Maybe he has an open mind. I’d like to think so. What’s the point in having a mind if you can’t change it.

I’m an aethiest and look at abortion from a humanist (complicated, and I’m not going to go into it) standpoint and in the referendum I found a lot of common ground with conservative catholics and christians. I’m a true blue FG’er but have found more common ground with Clare Daly etc on the Russia/USA/ EU/UA vs UA (civil) war …… (not going to dwell on that one either)

The point I’m trying to say is It’s good not to be rigid in any one camp and life does throw up some incongruous alliances if you have an open mind.

Not so sure, Republicans will be in complete control come November then 1-2 terms Presidency after Dozy Joe put his slippers on.

States like Texas Arizona slowly turning blue due to business moving there but the Christian movement still very powerful and attractive to the younger folks over there.
I wasn't referring to the mid terms or the next presidential, rather the next time a vacancy becomes available on the SC, as those appointments are life appointments unless the SC judge decides to voluntarily retire.

The commentary from Republicans is about abortion - but the reality is about politics and pushing through a hard line social conservative agenda to thwart and attack Biden where they can. Roe v Wade, Voter Registration legislation / Gerrymandering, counter-briefing on Ukraine .............this is Red v Blue to them and less about the abortion debate.

As with Repeal the 8th here, there is no tolerance for anything but an absolutist position.
My own view is that abortion should be available under certain circumstances and certainly not as openly as we decided to implement it. But that middle ground is never tolerated because in the US and to a lesser extent here - the issue is secondary. In the US it is Red v Blue, here it is patriarchy, misogyny, get your rosaries off my ovaries, secularisation of the state marred by a draconian catholic church for decades. The merits of the debate are lost because it becomes a binary with us or against us thing almost outside the issue itself.

Roe v Wade is a totemic Republican issue in the US. They used trump to pack the SC even when everyone accepted it was by convention the wrong thing to do.

Here our debate is over.

My point was once the balance is reset on the SC, Roe v Wade will be put back again, but that might take a long time, unless one of them shuffles off their proverbial mortal coil.

I remember meeting Judge Patwell a few times, he never told me if he was a Conservative or the other side and I believe he was neither. Strange country is America.

A supreme court judge appointed by a "conservative" President, as distinct from one appointed by a "liberal" President is probably a better way to describe it

A supreme court judge appointed by a "conservative" President, as distinct from one appointed by a "liberal" President is probably a better way to describe it
Well i dont think its right that on the other side a liberal President appoints a way liberal judge, a judge should be able to see different opinions and still protect the constitution/laws of the land. If they cannot be objective based on their track record they should not be there. Surely there is a better way to appoint them than partisan Presidents and partisan houses.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Do You Believe In The Power Of Rock & Roll? - An Evening with John Robb
The Richmond Revival, College Road, Fermoy, Co. Cork, P61 T292

14th Sep 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

Jan McCullough: Night Class

Crawford Art Gallery, Today @ 10am

More events ▼