A question for Dan Boyle

It seems widely accepted that Bertie Ahern as Taoiseach won't last another five years. If he survives the tribunals, it seems that he intends to run for President in 2011.

If Fianna Fail were to try to change their leader and bring him in as Taoiseach, do you think there should be a fresh election?

Do mean like when Lemass took over from DeValera, or Lynch took over from Lemass, or when Haughey took over from Lynch or Reynolds came in for Haughey. In short no I don't. It wasn't even done when the government was completely changed in 1994.

Yeah like Dan is going to answer that one on a public forum......

tee hee.

Wrong as usual

Do mean like when Lemass took over from DeValera, or Lynch took over from Lemass, or when Haughey took over from Lynch or Reynolds came in for Haughey. In short no I don't. It wasn't even done when the government was completely changed in 1994.

While there's obviously a lot of precendent for it happening, I was wondering if the Green party would want to set a different course.

Personally, I think it should happen - and I'd apply that to the two that I remember when Reynolds and Bruton came to power - especially as our elections have started becoming pseudo-presidential where all the run-up seems to be about the two potential leaders rather than the parties involved.

I know we've seen it happen in the UK, but voters there were told that Blair wouldn't stay in power for the entire term in the election (even then I think there's a case to be made for an election).

Fair balls to you for coming on here Dan. Anymore politicos on here?
Probably the only politican in Cork that knows how to use the net!

Wrong as usual

I know we've seen it happen in the UK, but voters there were told that Blair wouldn't stay in power for the entire term in the election (even then I think there's a case to be made for an election).

For once you are wrong jungle. Tony Blair said before the last election that he would not stand for a fourth term, but he said in an interview with Paxman not long after the election that he would stay around for the whole third term. It was only after the shambles in the Lebanon last summer (yo blair!) and the attempted putch by Brownites at the labour party conference, that Blair said this year would be his last....in other words, he was finally forced into it. And about f***ing time too.

President? WTF is happening to Ireland?!

A few years ago Bertie said he wanted to serve three terms and then retire from politics in 2012, hopefully to take a job in the private sector....you know, sit on the boards of different companies and call in all the favours he bestowed on the golden circle. A few things have happened since then tho....

Bertie has been revealed to be an illiterate, a bit of a gombeen with a fondness for the drink. he wouldn't have the ability to run a sweet shop.

The economy is beginning to slow down big style due to external factors, just as it boomed due to external factors. Bertie has had sweet FA to do with it.

The tribunals are tightening the grip and Bertie will eventually be forced out of office. He will also be persona non grata in the business world.

However, the presidency has always been a good retirement home for FF politicans who want to hang on to some limelight and couldnt cut it elsewhere, and he'll always be popular with the hoi polloi....ergo Bertie to be the next Prez

Yeah

The only time FF didn't win the presidency in an election was when Mary Robinson won. That was only after all the phone tapping revelations. He probably would have won otherwise. Or as FF would have you believe after Des O'Malley shafted Lenihan.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Cornelius Patrick O' Sullivan
The Richmond Revival, College Road, Fermoy, Co. Cork, P61 T292

17th May 2024 @ 7:00 pm
More info..

Jan McCullough: Night Class

Crawford Art Gallery, Today @ 10am

More events ▼