A decent first car

Lads, its high time I joined the broom broom brigade and got some wheels. Have taken lessons and am scouting around for my 1st car. Found some stunning, brand spanking new L plates alright, just need a car to hold them in place.

I've listened to loads of opinions and would like to hear yours.

Generally there seem to be 2 camps: 1) get a cheap older car & you won't be so concerned about the knocks & dinks & scratches when they happen. 2) buy what you can afford, find a newer car so that you can concentrate on the driving & enjoy it and not worry so much about mechanics or electrics. I like the latter option.

Broadly speaking I'm looking at E6000ish, 1.1 or 1.2, small hatchback. Max 1.2 for insurance, min 1.1 as my lawnmower's better than a 1.0 on the open road.

What to check out/avoid?

Reliability wise I'd say you are better off getting a Toyota Yaris it's a perfect first time drivers car and has excellent road manners, very well equiped the VVTI engine is sweet and nippy too.
My brother had a Yaris as his first car then changed to a Peugeot 206 and has regretted it ever since the Yaris is a solid bet it should provide years of trouble free motoring and holds it value well if/when you ever feel the need to upgrade. It's not everybodies cup of tea in looks but if you are not willing to go as far as a 1.3L engine then you are severely limited as to what you can get in looks and performance for your money.
If you were prepared to go as far as a 1.3L you would have lots of good looking cars to choose from normally 1L cars are just small town cars.

Here's a nice 1.3L Cynos for sale in Cork and it's a great car for 3.5k and you'll have money left over for insurance looks mint to me.

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=429548

Good Luck ;)

Last edited:
DOBBER22 said:
Reliability wise I'd say you are better off getting a Toyota Yaris it's a perfect first time drivers car and has excellent road manners, very well equiped the VVTI engine is sweet and nippy too.
My brother had a Yaris as his first car then changed to a Peugeot 206 and has regretted it ever since the Yaris is a solid bet it should provide years of trouble free motoring and holds it value well if/when you ever feel the need to upgrade. It's not everybodies cup of tea in looks but if you are not willing to go as far as a 1.3L engine then you are severely limited as to what you can get in looks and performance for your money.
If you were prepared to go as far as a 1.3L you would have lots of good looking cars to choose from normally 1L cars are just small town cars.

Here's a nice 1.3L Cynos for sale in Cork and it's a great car for 3.5k and you'll have money left over for insurance looks mint to me.

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=429548

Good Luck ;)

My, the mods took their time posting this one up!

I have my car now.... and it's a 2000 Yaris 1.3! I got a very good (private) deal and with the insurance I'm right on budget. I've read tons of reviews on different sites and people's only gripe seems to be the looks for a minority, other than that it's handy out. Here she is:

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=448401

The Cynos looks a bit too big for personal taste in terms of a first car. Thanks for the encouragement.

gwanso said:

I have my car now.... and it's a 2000 Yaris 1.3! I got a very good (private) deal and with the insurance I'm right on budget. I've read tons of reviews on different sites and people's only gripe seems to be the looks for a minority, other than that it's handy out. Here she is:

The Cynos looks a bit too big for personal taste in terms of a first car. Thanks for the encouragement.

Congratulations that was a very good buy did you pay thee asking price or did you haggle them down a bit? Looks like a very well cared for car best of luck with it.

DOBBER22 said:
Congratulations that was a very good buy did you pay thee asking price or did you haggle them down a bit? Looks like a very well cared for car best of luck with it.
Thanks. The asking price was non negotiable and given my research on various sites I don't have much to complain about as a Yaris of that calibre was out of my budget.

But there's a silver lining, as after we completed signing the transfer of ownership form, he hands me back e100 cash. How bad! She's been out over the past week and so far a smooth & trouble free ride.

gwanso said:
Thanks. The asking price was non negotiable and given my research on various sites I don't have much to complain about as a Yaris of that calibre was out of my budget.

But there's a silver lining, as after we completed signing the transfer of ownership form, he hands me back e100 cash. How bad! She's been out over the past week and so far a smooth & trouble free ride.

Sounds like you dealt with some nice folks, E100 back thats practically unheard of in todays greedy Ireland....well you did the force is strong with you ;)

yoda.jpg

gwanso said:

great choice bit pricey but car is bullet proof.... one lady owner ... i hate when thats written in ads... what exactly does that mean??

D number 10 said:
great choice bit pricey but car is bullet proof.... one lady owner ... i hate when thats written in ads... what exactly does that mean??
from other yaris ads i saw this price is good enough, look at the mileage & condition in fact it was 19350 or there abouts. you're looking at a practically new but nicely broken in engine and mint exterior and interior. has a long NCT and tax too.

one lady owner in my case was the wife's shopping bag, local trips, so regular use (i.e. not sitting around disused for months) but very low regular mileage. the longest trip it did was one time to Killarney.

it drives like a dream, from the 3 people who have driven it since I've had it and the driving i've done myself.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
The Hollyz
Crane Lane Theatre, Phoenix St.

5th May 2024 @ 9:30 pm
More info..

DJ Big Daddy Can

Crane Lane Theatre, Tomorrow @ 11:50pm

More events ▼