2023 Premier sfc

You mean you don’t know? Hardly…
The last time The Haven won the county there was the humorous whatsapp congratulating about different parishes all over Cork for the win.
The Haven had a super team in the 80s/90s and the sons of those legends go back to play with the Haven, as they can do under the GAA rules. Like the rolling stone they gather a bit of moss along the way too
That’s not possible to do for other rural clubs who don’t have that Gene pool and 2nd generations willing to mark that sacrifice either.
I would actually say they are a model of a club to follow. Families willing to make that sacrifice over the years.
I think it is astonishing and amazing to see the level of pride these lads have representing the Haven.
I'm sure a lot of rural clubs would like to have seen that commitment from past generations in their own club.

The one thing the Haven have that some other clubs will never be able replicate is tradition and expectation
That’s not true in my opinion. I’m a huge fan and The Haven are unique alright as a rural club in getting the diaspora to return to play and attracting players from junior clubs in west cork.
I can think of several clubs just as good on tradition and expectation though eg Nemo, The Barr’s, Clon.
Nemo win 5 counties a decade and are on a different level to the likes of the Haven.
Not everything Foxytrav said about Clon was nonsense either. The Haven are an excellent club but they’ve nothing won in 10 years and they’ve nothing won this year either, yet.

That’s not true in my opinion. I’m a huge fan and The Haven are unique alright as a rural club in getting the diaspora to return to play and attracting players from junior clubs in west cork.
I can think of several clubs just as good on tradition and expectation though eg Nemo, The Barr’s, Clon.
Nemo win 5 counties a decade and are on a different level to the likes of the Haven.
Not everything Foxytrav said about Clon was nonsense either. The Haven are an excellent club but they’ve nothing won in 10 years and they’ve nothing won this year either, yet.

SOME is the key word

never said they were alone in having tradition

Its the reason why the 3 you've mentioned along with Haven will always have upper hand when it comes down to it over the likes of Ballincollig, Carbery Rangers, Douglas & other teams in senior football is they have an expectation to win things instead of the "we will have a crack off it and see how we get on" mentality within other clubs.

The Nolan brothers are born and bred Union Hall people.
Ye have heard of union Hall strawberries and Union Hall smoked fish.
I'm no haven fan ,I liked the way they played Sunday, but this is absolute rubbish
one of the Nolans ( sons) was playing with valleys at underage and then transferred back to his fathers club.... again all within the rules

SOME is the key word

never said they were alone in having tradition

Its the reason why the 3 you've mentioned along with Haven will always have upper hand when it comes down to it over the likes of Ballincollig, Carbery Rangers, Douglas & other teams in senior football is they have an expectation to win things instead of the "we will have a crack off it and see how we get on" mentality within other clubs.
I agree on Douglas and Ballincollig.
However, Carbery Rangers would also have a rich and long tradition in Cork club football appearing in about 5 county finals and producing Cork players for the last 125 years. I could have included them in my original response list to you. The haven were more successful over that 25 year period late 80s to early 10s. Over the last decade Ross have the upper hand over the Haven. Carbery have won a county in the last decade and it’s only in recent years that they’ve not made the county semis every year, having made at the least the semi final 10 years in a row I think. I also think Carbery Rangers have been beating the Haven in the vast majority of times they met in the last 10 years.
Not taking anything away from the Haven though. Tompkins and Cahalane will forever have a special place at the top of Cork football. The Haven have a most unique set up and I really admire them. But I admire other clubs just as much, but for different reasons maybe.

that's not the reason they aren't popular
Nolan brothers are from Innishannon, Conor O'Discoll from Goleen
fairly sure one of the subs that came on started with Kilmacebea
There's only one Shane Nolan, again first club of his father Jim, who won and county in 89 and was manager when the Haven beat Skibb in 1994
Roland Whelton came on grew up living in Leap but never kicked a ball for anyone other than the Haven, again 1st club of his dad Mike who was club secretary for many years.
Other subs on Sunday
Ciarian O Sullivan - Castlehaven NS
Jamie O Driscoll - Castlehaven NS

I agree on Douglas and Ballincollig.
However, Carbery Rangers would also have a rich and long tradition in Cork club football appearing in about 5 county finals and producing Cork players for the last 125 years. I could have included them in my original response list to you. The haven were more successful over that 25 year period late 80s to early 10s. Over the last decade Ross have the upper hand over the Haven. Carbery have won a county in the last decade and it’s only in recent years that they’ve not made the county semis every year, having made at the least the semi final 10 years in a row I think. I also think Carbery Rangers have been beating the Haven in the vast majority of times they met in the last 10 years.
Not taking anything away from the Haven though. Tompkins and Cahalane will forever have a special place at the top of Cork football. The Haven have a most unique set up and I really admire them. But I admire other clubs just as much, but for different reasons maybe.

were ross not junior upto early 00s and the 60 odd years before that ?

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Toucan
Cyprus Avenue, Caroline St.

11th May 2024 @ 7:00 pm
More info..

Joe Mac

Cantys, Today @ 6pm

More events ▼