2023 Premier sfc

The relegation final is on this weekend also, would be disappointing for Mallow after recent years successes to go down again. Would any of these teams , Carrigaline or Mallow, actually be missed at this grade?

Both big population towns like Clonakilty and perhaps this grade should be restructured as the gap between the top clubs from the Big 3 is getting wider year in year out.
There are housing estates in Carrigaline and Mallow with nearly the same population as Clonakilty. No comparison really.
The premier senior has the top 3 plus about 4 more more making the main 6 or 7 senior teams. The rest including Carrigaline, Mallow and the likes of the senior A finalists are on the merry go round between lower Premier senior and senior A

There are housing estates in Carrigaline and Mallow with nearly the same population as Clonakilty. No comparison really.
The premier senior has the top 3 plus about 4 more more making the main 6 or 7 senior teams. The rest including Carrigaline, Mallow and the likes of the senior A finalists are on the merry go round between lower Premier senior and senior A
I feel myself Mallow would be more of a loss to the competition. They’ve had some good wins over the last few years and have the Haven a very good run in quarter final last year. They also have a good crop coming through from 2 Premier 1 minor teams over the past 3 years.

Carrigaline in my view, are not far off Douglas level in terms of being an underachieving mess. From talking to people who know the story I wouldn’t have much confidence in them improving things either despite the huge resources at their disposal.

I feel myself Mallow would be more of a loss to the competition. They’ve had some good wins over the last few years and have the Haven a very good run in quarter final last year. They also have a good crop coming through from 2 Premier 1 minor teams over the past 3 years.

Carrigaline in my view, are not far off Douglas level in terms of being an underachieving mess. From talking to people who know the story I wouldn’t have much confidence in them improving things either despite the huge resources at their disposal.
And what is Carrigalines story? Is their issue at underage or adult? or is the whole club in trouble?

I think neither team will be any great loss to Prem Senior - But I do feel whoever goes down will likely be back in a year or 2.

Predictions:
Barrs by 5
Nemo by 2
Carrigaline by 4

I think neither team will be any great loss to Prem Senior - But I do feel whoever goes down will likely be back in a year or 2.
That’s it. There is the top 7-8 teams at Premier Senior. These are the contenders for the senior championship.
The next 7-8 clubs down from that, just move up & down between premier senior and senior A. As you’ve said whoever is relegated will be back up in the next year or 2. That’s ok and is competition in itself. But, just to add that these 7-8 teams in that situation rarely beat the top 6-8 in the premier championship. So even with 12 teams at each of the grades there are 3 mini grades emerging within that.
1) The top 8 premier
2) The bottom 4 premier & top 4 Senior A who rotate
3) Bottom 8 Senior A

Kerry play 8 teams in their senior grade football championship and that seems to be the right number.
The 24 teams playing Senior A & Premier might be better served having 3 actual grades of 8.
I can’t see this happening right now as the championships have been excellent and competitive compared historically and there is a good buzz after the last round of group games. Though I expect in 3-5 years time, as the shine wears off, that grades of 8 teams may be looked at, at the very top anyway.

That’s it. There is the top 7-8 teams at Premier Senior. These are the contenders for the senior championship.
The next 7-8 clubs down from that, just move up & down between premier senior and senior A. As you’ve said whoever is relegated will be back up in the next year or 2. That’s ok and is competition in itself. But, just to add that these 7-8 teams in that situation rarely beat the top 6-8 in the premier championship. So even with 12 teams at each of the grades there are 3 mini grades emerging within that.
1) The top 8 premier
2) The bottom 4 premier & top 4 Senior A who rotate
3) Bottom 8 Senior A

Kerry play 8 teams in their senior grade football championship and that seems to be the right number.
The 24 teams playing Senior A & Premier might be better served having 3 actual grades of 8.
I can’t see this happening right now as the championships have been excellent and competitive compared historically and there is a good buzz after the last round of group games. Though I expect in 3-5 years time, as the shine wears off, that grades of 8 teams may be looked at, at the very top anyway.
Good points, but is 8 teams a very small championship ? 2 groups of 4 and straight to a semi ?

Good points, but is 8 teams a very small championship ? 2 groups of 4 and straight to a semi ?
Yes. Something like that.. It’s a game less than current but tbh the top sides currently are beating some of the bottom sides in the groups at their ease.
And of course the divisions would have to be dealt with.
The game less (in both codes) might also help with the load on dual players and allow for a break. Again this situation if it is a problem will become more obvious over the next 3-5 years

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
The Lee Sessions Trad Trail
The Gables, Douglas St.

22nd May 2024 @ 9:00 pm
More info..

The Days Of Trees (16)

Triskel Arts Centre, Tomorrow @ 6pm

More events ▼