2022 Intermediate A football

Sticking with my original calls over on page 1 but wouldn’t say I’m confident in the slightest. Should be an interesting championship.

Any word on the Junior A winners for this season? I’m assuming they’ll avoid the Premier Junior next year and replace one of the third placed teams in Intermediate A but I haven’t seen that mentioned anywhere?
They stay premier junior

My predictions are:

Group A:
1. Kilshannig 2. Gabriel Rangers 3. Ballydesmond 4. Adrigole

Group B:
1. Glanworth 2. Glenville 3. St Nicks 4. Kildorrery

Group C:
1. Mitchelstown 2. Glanmire 3. BoherBue 4. Millstreet

Group D:
1. Aghabullogue 2. Ballinora 3. Dromtarriffe 4. St. Finbarr’s

just an observation after reading everyone’s predictions:

Most people have Adrigole coming 2nd or 4th which is understandable as hard to compare them with ballydesmond and Gabriel’s.
But nearly everyone has Gabriel’s coming ahead of ballydesmond whether it’s 2nd and 3rd or 3rd and 4th. Even though Bally beat Gabriel’s last year and brought mitchelstown town to extra time.

Is there something I haven’t heard about either team this year?

Personal observation here, I put it down to Ballydesmond's reliance on Donncha O'Connor, which can't be sustainable going forward given the man is now 41, thought it may be a lot of talk before the championship last year but it is reasonably apparent when you see them from my experience at least, his legs aren't what they used to be but still lethal with the ball and I'm not sure where Ballydesmond would be without him, saw both themselves and Gabriels in the group stage last year and was more impressed by Gabriels as a whole, can't comment on the Mitchelstown game however.

Bally beat Gabriels by a point so there's nothing much between them I'd imagine, Ballinora should've finished them off also, missed a penalty to put them 8 up in the second half and then Donncha pulled Ballydesmond back to win by 1, inexperience let Ballinora down in patches on that day but Ballydesmond struggled a fair bit until Donncha got to grips with the game. Not sure what they've got coming through underage, but it'll be difficult to replace a man like that when he calls it a day in the nearish future I'd imagine.

Bally have great heart but a lot of their main players are ageing, I reckon half the team must be over 35. At the same time I reckon Donnacha has another 2/3 years in him. The man just loves football. He played two games in less than 24 hours last year between Bally and Duhallow and he was fantastic in both. The Bally game even went to extra time. Imo most underrated player to ever play for Cork.

1st Round of Group Games:

1. Nicks V Glanworth
2. Aghabullogue
V Dromtarriffe
3. Glenville V Kildorrery
4. Kilshannig
V Ballydesmond
5. Boherbue V Glanmire
6. Ballinora V Barrs
7. Gabriel Rangers V Adrigole
8. Mitchelstown
V Millstreet

Put the teams I think will win this weekend in bold. 1, 2, 4 and 8 should all be straight forward wins. The other 4 could all go either way depending on who is available for each side. Nice tight grade this year and the added excitement of 1 team from each group being relegated should make every game an entertaining one.

Nicks vs Glanworth
Aghabullogue vs Dromtarriffe
Glenville vs Kildorrery
Kilshannig vs Ballydesmond
Glanmire vs Boherbue
Ballinora vs Barrs
Gabriel Rangers vs Adrigole
Mitchelstown
vs Millstreet

Glanworth should win tonight but I'm not sure that Nicks are as bad as people might think. Bar the Kanturk game , they weren't exactly getting hammered last year

Nicks vs Glanworth
Aghabullogue
vs Dromtarriffe
Glenville vs Kildorrery
Kilshannig vs Ballydesmond
Glanmire vs Boherbue
Ballinora vs Barrs
Gabriel Rangers vs Adrigole
Mitchelstown
vs Millstreet
Gonna guess the same except I’m swapping Gabriel’s and Adrigole.

I think Nicks might put it up to Glanworth tonight and ultimately fall short, think they’ll do enough to survive but really they seem to have been in free fall, not sure what’s going on with football there.

Was up there for an underage match a few weeks back and they barely scraped a team together, sounded like a regular occurrence with football for them, sad to see.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Ride
Cyprus Avenue, Caroline St.

4th Sep 2024 @ 7:00 pm
More info..

Listen To The Birds: Cork World Book Fest

Triskel Arts Centre, Tomorrow @ 8:30pm

More events ▼