Search results

1. S

Philippines : Better or Worse

I'v been visiting Philippines since 2003. I have just returned from my family holiday there after six years. What a change. Nobody trying to scam you. Taxi drivers and trisikade drivers charging regulated fare. Safer walking the streets. No one offering prostitutes or drugs. Wow, I was sceptical...
  2. S

British Tourists

Looks like some Brits decided on a staycation this year. I wonder why ? http://https://www.cornwalllive.com/news/cornwall-news/visit-cornwall-stops-promoting-kynance-1889380
  3. S

Offensive Monuments

Memorial in Upton. No mention of the eight civilians killed. Ordinary people just trying to live their own lives. The forgotten : Richard Arthurs, (railway company employee) St. Luke's, Cork C.P. Johnston, Cork and Dublin James Byrne, Dublin John Spiers, Cork Pat O'Sullivan Dan O'Mahoney May...
  4. S

Is Micheal Martin Finished ?

With recent events in Dail Eireann, I can't see Micheal Martin achieving his ambition to be Taoiseach. If December election goes ahead ... 1. FF partly to blame for election, so electorate negative 2. Martin is the last senior man remaining in FF from the Bertie years 3. The younger FF members...
  5. S

Actor Jack Lord

A fella in the pub was telling me that Jack Lord's (Steve McGarrett of Hawaii five o) ancestry has Bandon connections. I have done some googling but have found nothing that relates to Bandon or Cork. Jack Lord's real name was John Ryan. His father was William Lawrence Ryan, an Irish American...
  6. S

Serbian PM Chased out of Srebrenica

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-33491540
  7. S

Yes supporters : Triumphalist

The fact that the Irish people voted for the "Marriage Equality" constitutional amendment is accepted, of course. I have been following the tallies, opinions and results throughout the day on R.T.E. As a "No" voter, I have found the coverage triumphalist. Perhaps some humility and respect for...
  8. S

Could I marry my brother ?

If the constitutional amendent is passed, could I then "marry" my brother for tax and inheritance reasons ?
  9. S

The Official Cork City FC Thread

Can't find this on the forum for some reason.
  10. S

Are Fianna Fail finished ?

It seems FF are on the way out. For me it's another small light at the end of our economic tunnel.
  11. S

Ruairi Quinn for Taoiseach

I just did a quick run-down of our TDs. Ruairi Quinn's name stood out to me among them all as someone to lead the country. Forget political parties ... can someone else find a current member of Dail Eireann with the experience, style and credibility to lead this country ? Who else among our TDs...
  12. S

Irish President

It seems on this forum and Ireland in general, that it is not possible to criticise the Irish president or the office of the Irish presidency. I am just checking if it is allowed before I let rip. Permission would be appreciated.
  13. S

General Election Imminent ?

I saw some poor lackey putting FF propaganda fliers trough letterboxes at 7am this morning (so they don't have to talk to the people ?). They must be on an election footing or else this poor man is committed to the cause. He did not give me one though ... maybe he saw the look in my eye ... wise...
  14. S

Worst Christmas Ever ?

Tell us your story. Me I had frozen Donegal Catch for my dinner. And I was working for the rest of it.
  15. S

Who is Alan Coleman ?

This guy topped the poll in the Bandon ward in the council elections. He lives in Belgooly and has some GAA involvement. He was electioneering with some auctioneer. And he's a member of Fianna Fail. He is my local FF rep. But who is he ? Why did so many people vote for him ? I have asked locally...
  16. S

Defacing FF Posters

I think it is illegal to deface election posters. Can anyone tell me if anyone has ever been prosecuted for this.
  17. S

Any members of Fianna Fail out there ?

Come on , don't be embarrassed (We can't see you). I am just fascinated why so many people belong to this party.